Thread: Diy?

Diy?

I don't understand why this forum has a rule against people giving out an option on a problem when a home owner ask a question. I will say that 99% of the common people out here will just call a service person anyway. BUT, there are a few of us that want to know more about our systems in our house so we are a more educated homeowner. Besides, sometimes it's just a simple fix that anybody with common since can do given the right direction. We do have comon since to know when we are in over our head with a problem and have to call a pro. I just think it's a shame that you have people out here that you guys could be helping but can't because of this rule. The way I see it is if you don't want to help someone then just don't answer the question but you guys have to have a rule? lmao

You guys are going to find that everyone, everywhere is getting smarter in everything in life. We are all becoming smarter buyers so we won't be hiring someone to do a job that results over paying for shoty work.

If you guys want to correct problems in your industry then start educating people, that's how you fix it. Just my .02

I guess I'll get sent to band camp now

There are plenty of DIY forums out there. This one is geared directly for people in the bussiness and helping them out not homeowners. Not that homeowners are not welcome but we don't give DIY repair instructions.

Most of the contributors on this board seem to go out of their way to do just what you are saying they won't do. And exhibit quite a bit of patience in explaining their responses as well. My opinion, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by printmanjackson View Post
    I don't understand why this forum has a rule against people giving out an option on a problem when a home owner ask a question. I will say that 99% of the common people out here will just call a service person anyway. BUT, there are a few of us that want to know more about our systems in our house so we are a more educated homeowner. Besides, sometimes it's just a simple fix that anybody with common since can do given the right direction. We do have comon since to know when we are in over our head with a problem and have to call a pro. I just think it's a shame that you have people out here that you guys could be helping but can't because of this rule. The way I see it is if you don't want to help someone then just don't answer the question but you guys have to have a rule? lmao

You guys are going to find that everyone, everywhere is getting smarter in everything in life. We are all becoming smarter buyers so we won't be hiring someone to do a job that results over paying for shoty work.

If you guys want to correct problems in your industry then start educating people, that's how you fix it. Just my .02

I guess I'll get sent to band camp now

From what I have gathered here is that the majority of the people are extremely afraid of liability although speaking with complete strangers.

And in my opinion rightfully so... It also seems people seem to be afraid that the "cat will be out of the bag".

Now I also realize that nothing in this world is free, however what comes around goes around. If I can get free advice from people I return the favor when I can...

I am in the IT field and give free advice to people that I could easily charge at will just about any amount I want.

Now I also realize that DIY in this field people can be hurt, killed, injured, birthday removed. But like mom always said "if someone tells you to jump off a bridge" are ya going too? So when someone gives me advice on DIY I with "common sense" know my limitations.

As with anything "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

I have gained some very valuable information from this site. And greatly respect those on here.

Later

Liability

Licensed professionals are responsible for the advice they give out. If a nurse gives you medication, his license will be pulled, since he is not licensed to prescribe / dispense medication.

If you followed the advice of a professional here, and burned your house down, the professional might be held liable.

Most of the professionals here are very helpful, and even step pretty close to the line sometimes. I don't see where they are trying to keep people uninformed, or 'protect' their trade. Sometimes they are pretty hard on each other as well. Go take a look at the 'Wall of Shame' area.

Oh, and as for common sense, read the thread where someone left the cover off their furnace, and just about killed their family and burned their house down. Common sense indeed is not so common sometimes, and simple is a bit misleading when you are dealing with things as complex as HVAC.

It never ceases to amaze me that people who would never take apart a toaster or range think a furnace is 'simple'.

Mr Jackson, none of this is directed at you. I felt some of the same ways when I first got here. I have worked in a few of the trades, and I don't shy from DIY, but poking around here has really opened my eyes to the danger and complexity of HVAC. And if you really want to, there are other places that you can get DIY info, just not the quality that you could get here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegsmi98 View Post
    And in my opinion rightfully so... It also seems people seem to be afraid that the "cat will be out of the bag".
    Oh yeah I always forget that this aint rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Oh yeah I always forget that this aint rocket science.

Now I wasn't saying that and by all means not trying to start a sh** storm.

But for example when two out of five contractors came out to give me a quote on our Carrier Infinity system.

They both told me what they do for annual maintanence, cleaning etc, of which I can do myself and it was suggested I do so. They also suggested I do some of the ductwork and return air panning myself. But I am having them do it as they are the professionals and like I said before "just because I can doesn't mean I should."

They were not saying anything about checking coolant levels or anything of the sort.

I do not see a problem with giving advice on the non "rocket science" stuff. The other stuff by all means dont say a word.

Enough.

OP...now you've broken another forum rule.

If your post is deleted or closed, deal with it.

This one is closed, too.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.