+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Variable speed zebra and ecm 2.5

Post Likes

Variable speed zebra and ecm 2.5

We just got a vz7 and watched the DVD and it said that it doesn't not work with the 2.5 ecm.
    Everywhere I read it says the vz7 won't work on the Carrier/Bryant but don't see anything about the Trane/GE ecm.

Can someone clarify this please.

We have a system and we are about to order an ecm based on the results we got.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    The 2.5 was a proprietary motor to carrier / Bryant. There was a tool that could be used similar to the tech mate that is just for the 2.5. Your local C/B supplier should be able to get you one.
    Ed J

Post Likes
    This a GE motor

Post Likes
    It is a proprietary motor made by Regal Beloit. The GE name is a left over used for brand recognition.

The 2.5 was found only in C/B equipment. You won't find a 2.5 in a Trane, 2.0 2.3 or a 3.0, but no 2.5.

If you want to check that motor with a tool other than a VOM, ask your local C/B supplier for one.
    Ed J

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by envycycles View Post
    This a GE motor
    Yes, and it was only made for Carrier/Bryant equipment. It was a communicating VS motor.

Post Likes
    OK we figured out that I need the ECM.

This module is about $ and thats the least expensive I have found.

This ECM stuff is pretty new to us and we would like to know if we can install a different motor?

we have found a few used motor/ecm combo for sale that have the same specs 3/4hp 220v and would like to know if I can go ahead and buy one of these combo deals and replace both as a set?

If yes do we have to do anything special with the current dip switches?

Thanks
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-03-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Post Likes
    The module MUST be programmed for the SPECIFIC make and model of equipment (a module for a Carrier XXXXX model will NOT work on any other Carrier model or any other unit, PERIOD).
    Yes, if you install the module it will run, however it is not programmed for that specific cabinet (AH or furnace), and as such will not function to factory specks.

Having said that... I know some licensed guys that just get a module based on HP and use it... and it runs. I have not decided if they are dis-honest (cheap), or do not know better... However when I tried to explain it... they did not want to hear the why's... Hmmmmmmmm...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by envycycles View Post

This ECM stuff is pretty new to us and we would like to know if we can install a different motor?
    Why would this "ECM stuff" be new to you?
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    It is, never had to replace one. We replaced ECM and have also repaired some ECM but never had to replace a motor/ECM combo with a different model.

Post Likes
    ok

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    Why would this "ECM stuff" be new to you?
    It is, never had to replace one. We replaced ECM and have also repaired some ECM but never had to replace a motor/ECM combo with a different model.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    The module MUST be programmed for the SPECIFIC make and model of equipment (a module for a Carrier XXXXX model will NOT work on any other Carrier model or any other unit, PERIOD).
    Yes, if you install the module it will run, however it is not programmed for that specific cabinet (AH or furnace), and as such will not function to factory specks.

Having said that... I know some licensed guys that just get a module based on HP and use it... and it runs. I have not decided if they are dis-honest (cheap), or do not know better... However when I tried to explain it... they did not want to hear the why's... Hmmmmmmmm...
    Thank you for this info.

Post Likes
    ECM = electronically commutating motor. The end of the motor that holds the electronics is called to module.

The way you are describing things is very confusing.

Is the blower your trying to repair on an evolution or infinity system?

Post Likes
    I would like to replace the Motor/ECM as set and use a known good Motor/ECM from another Trane unit but its a different PN Motor/ECM but same spec 3/4hp 220V ECM 2.3

Post Likes
    Might work, might not. My guess is he fan will run but who knows how much air you'll move.

BTW if the 2.5 you mention in the first post is in this unit, there is your problem, the 2.5 wasn't put in Trane equipment.

Post Likes
    Its a 2.3 not 2.5 as I stated up top

Post Likes
    Use a Mars digi motor.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    I have converted a few back to standard 3 speed motors. When the homeowner cant afford to replace the ecm motor. Keep in mind these are tempstar units and all the units were out of warranty. Yea u lose a little efficiency but if they cant afford an ecm then i can convert if for half the price of what an ecm costs me. But not sure about the bryant/carrier systems. Never run into any trouble with them. So far

Post Likes
    Sorry if its a trane unit cant convert those. Will have to go back with oem parts.

Post Likes
    Went ahead and purchased a new ecm. Done. Thanks guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in