Thread: Trane vs Amana Help!!!

Post Likes

Trane vs Amana Help!!!

I received 3 similar bids from an Amana, Goodman and Trane dealer for 2 16 seer 3ton units for a 2000 SQFT house that has 11ft ceilings. Is 2 units necessary? They stated that because of the 11ft ceiling it was a better option to have two units instead of one 5 ton unit. The prices are similar for the Trane and Amana and both are two stage-not the Goodman. I would appreciate any info you may provide on the Two stage benefits, the difference in brand and the 2 units vs one unit. This is for a new house in South TX. The price difference from a Goodman to a Trane is alot. Is it worth spending the exta couple of thousand to get the two stage units from Trane or Amana? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Post Likes
    6 tons for 2000 sq ft new construction? Do they use insulation down there? Is the house all windows? Seems like a lot of capacity!

Goodman is low priced equipment. You can do a search and see opinions on it. Amana (not Distinctions) and Trane are like products, more features, higher quality. Assuming all is done the same, should be similar in price.

Post Likes
    If you are in a area with high humidity the two stage cooling will help with dehumidification.

Post Likes
    I would have the co. that you feel will give you the best installation and service explore the possibility of using a single 5 ton and a zoning kit. 6 tons does sound like a bit much.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin81 View Post
    I received 3 similar bids from an Amana, Goodman and Trane dealer for 2 16 seer 3ton units for a 2000 SQFT house that has 11ft ceilings. Is 2 units necessary? They stated that because of the 11ft ceiling it was a better option to have two units instead of one 5 ton unit. The prices are similar for the Trane and Amana and both are two stage-not the Goodman. I would appreciate any info you may provide on the Two stage benefits, the difference in brand and the 2 units vs one unit. This is for a new house in South TX. The price difference from a Goodman to a Trane is alot. Is it worth spending the exta couple of thousand to get the two stage units from Trane or Amana? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks
    3 tone complete system or 3 tone furnace, Evap. coil and 2 1/2 condencer?

Post Likes

Load Calc ????

Have they performed a load calc on your house? Its very neccesary or else the contractor is just guessing on capacity. Its just as bad to have a oversized unit as it is to have a undersized one or worse! Amana is build by Goodman its not the higest tier of equipment, I would NOT install it in my house! Trane is a great system they are very durable, but for a lot less money you can get American Standard which is pretty much the same unit
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Post Likes
    If it's new const., what does the architecht have spec't out? Also, Goodman makes 2 stage equipment. 2 stage is a good way to go. 6 tons is a lot for 2000 sq ft.

Post Likes
    Sounds a little big to me. 11" ceilings increase the conditioned space by about 27% That would compute to about 540 sq. ft.(If my calculations are correct).I live in the south and Ive installed 5 tons systems in 3000 sq.ft. homes so 6 tons, id almost bet, is overkill.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    If it's new const., what does the architecht have spec't out? Also, Goodman makes 2 stage equipment. 2 stage is a good way to go. 6 tons is a lot for 2000 sq ft.
    The only 2 stage unit in the Goodman product is the five ton 16 SEER model condenser and heat pump. All other Goodman units are single stage.

The Amana brand made by Goodman is two stage throughout the 16 and 18 SEER models.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    The only 2 stage unit in the Goodman product is the five ton 16 SEER model condenser and heat pump. All other Goodman units are single stage.

The Amana brand made by Goodman is two stage throughout the 16 and 18 SEER models.
    I just installed a 13 seer Goodman 3.5 ton with 90k GMH8 two-stage convertible. Dipswitch on the board turns it on and off. Any experience with these? Im waiting on sparky to fire it up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post

Twilli says where is Sammy?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes

Can you say this is a guess?

No load calc? No solution.

Jerold

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    No load calc? No solution.

Jerold

Twilli won't do load cal until customer buys or commits to buying

No justice, No peace

Al Sharpton
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli won't do load cal until customer buys or commits to buying

No justice, No peace

Al Sharpton
    we do them, just don't hand them out to the customer unless they buy the load calc or buy a system.

Kill for peace, war forever

Ah, not sure who said that.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Post Likes
    quote Twilli says, where is Sammy.) Sammy is on vacation. Sammy has stirred the pot too much! Sammy made Toptek mad!

Post Likes
    quote( Twilli says, where is Sammy.) Sammy is on vacation. Sammy has stirred the pot too much! Sammy made Toptek mad!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    I just installed a 13 seer Goodman 3.5 ton with 90k GMH8 two-stage convertible. Dipswitch on the board turns it on and off. Any experience with these? Im waiting on sparky to fire it up.
    Yea, they are great. They wire up to a standard single stage stat and adjust themselves according to the current load needs as determined by an algorhthmic chip on the control board.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    quote( Twilli says, where is Sammy.) Sammy is on vacation. Sammy has stirred the pot too much! Sammy made Toptek mad!
    You're not the Sammy twilli is referring to. The Sammy twilli is referring to is getting his testies tied in a knot by Buck.
    Training is important!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in