+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vermiculite

Post Likes

vermiculite

Why is vermiculite used with LP vented gas burner pans and sand in natural gas units?

Post Likes
    Sand disperses the gas better and gives a nice flame. But LP is too heavy and would not flow through the sand very well so vermiculite is used instead. Thats my educated guess anyway...

Post Likes
    Yes, that is what I was thinking, but I just wanted to hear it from the powers that be on here.

Post Likes

Cool media

The media is required to disperse the gas evenly and act as an orifice to control the rate of gas flow. Since LP gas is heavier and doesn't flow as smoothly, you need larger air spaces btw the media for the gas to flow while NG can flow through silica sand, which compacts tighter. One thing to watch with LP units is using vermiculite other than that supplied by the mfr. If you use a finer granule than provided, you could get sooting, uneven flames, low flames or even cause the flames to push out one side melting the valve.

During an annual service, the tech can sift through the media to fluff it up then set fresh mineral fiber embers.

If you did not have the media in the pan, it would Vesuvisize. Just another reason to get a qualified technician in there annually.

HTH,
    Hearthman

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in