Thread: Thoughts on APC Cooling Equipment

Post Likes

Thoughts on APC Cooling Equipment

Wondering about your thoughts on APC Cooiling equipment for Data Centers.
    Those who have worked on them, how due you feel they compare with the Liebert units or Data Aire units. Can't be worse than a Stulz.

Post Likes
    From what I know about them they are suppose to be pretty good. I have not had the pleasure yet. Unfortunately it seems I well know Stultz because I've had to do quite a bit leak repairs on their coils.

Post Likes
    I have never worked on the APCs, but we have several FM series around 30 tons, and they seem to be very reliable and trouble-free. They're also very expensive.

Post Likes
    I Love Them
    They Are Very Nice.
    Love The Freq Drives On Supply Blowers
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Just curious our company installs nmainly Lieberts, and in our rooms we service the majority is Liebert, but we do have some Stulz and Data Aire we have serviced for quiet sometime.
    But the co. is looking to install some APC equipment. Just wondering on the service ability and reliabilty, was on the web site and it looks pretty good.
    Thought variable frequency drives on blower looked interesting as well.

Post Likes

apc

had no problems, except engineer did not spec lee temp receiver

Post Likes

APC's in a computer room...

I came across one installation last month. These are glorified fan coil units that take up floor space and blow cold air in your face when you try to work the controls. A rack of cheap looking, loud, variable speed boxer fans on a coil. Have to drain the condensate under the floor, that could be tough. Or pump it.
    They appeal to IT nerds because them come with an IP address for the internet.
    My feeling is put the AC fan coil unit in a service area outside the room, where water leaks may not be a problem. Duct the cooling in under the floor or above the ceiling. No need for raised-floor clearance passes to fix an ac unit.
    I'll even throw in an internet thermostat from Propiilix if you want.

D.

Post Likes
    worked on one one time and it had a brazed plate condensor on an open tower loop,the screen in the strainer has to be fine mesh or the condensor will plug up with silt,crud.Can be a real nightmare on a system with bad water,otherwise it appeared o.k. once you pull the goofy access panel fastners and replace them with tech screws.

Post Likes

Wink

I haven't worked on their newer models, but the ones whe have are good. They work excellent and have worked on many over the years. They do the same job as a Liebert does.
    Mentioned by D'Laine, they are larger,but I find them easier to get to things.

What Bobby says is true. I don't really care for the plate condensors. However using a fine mesh screen keeps us from acid cleaning them.

I also like the idea of multiple fans.
    "My hands are for sale"

Post Likes
    have worked on one. Alot of problems just after start up. Seemed over controlled/complicated for its purpose. The customer choose this unit over a Liebert and found out first time, second time and third time it broke that he made a bad choise. Parts are hard to get, specific to APC and very expensive. In its defence, working great for now until it breaks the again.

Post Likes
    I have had no problems.

maybe poor install?

Post Likes
    Never really had any major issues with the APC machines, I am sorta bias to the Canatal unit, great machine to work on, quite reliable. You guys see any Canatal's in the States?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNtech View Post
    Never really had any major issues with the APC machines, I am sorta bias to the Canatal unit, great machine to work on, quite reliable. You guys see any Canatal's in the States?

NO,
    PRE TEL?

Post Likes
    I am installing one at the moment..
    I'll give the verdict in a week or so...

Post Likes
    What do you want to know? I guess you can figure out my opinion on the APC units

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by apc_ac_man View Post
    What do you want to know? I guess you can figure out my opinion on the APC units
    ARMORED PERSONELL CARRIER
    M113

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Laine View Post
    I came across one installation last month. These are glorified fan coil units that take up floor space and blow cold air in your face when you try to work the controls. A rack of cheap looking, loud, variable speed boxer fans on a coil. Have to drain the condensate under the floor, that could be tough. Or pump it.
    They appeal to IT nerds because them come with an IP address for the internet.
    My feeling is put the AC fan coil unit in a service area outside the room, where water leaks may not be a problem. Duct the cooling in under the floor or above the ceiling. No need for raised-floor clearance passes to fix an ac unit.
    I'll even throw in an internet thermostat from Propiilix if you want.

D.
    APC, Liebert, Stultz, DataAir, Canatel.... all designed for a specific need. What you suggest is great for people cooling. Not for process cooling

Post Likes
    My company has been servicing and installing APC units for years, before APC acquired the Airflow line. APC believes the traditional CRAC unit is no longer the premium way to cool data room equipment. The in row cooler (directly blown into a server rack) is what they want to sell. It appeals to the IT one stop shopping and service, APC server racks, APC UPS, APC rack coolers, and so on. They want to sell the whole package, all built to fit and work together. If the customer has any IT equipment problems call 1-800 APC and they will get the appropriate technician out to the site. They turned the traditional AX unit into a sophisticated FM unit, full of stepper motors and electronics. Then decided to over price the unit and let the market terminate the FM line, now they cannot compete with other traditional CRAC lines, nor do they want to. Rumor has it they are going to have Stulz manufacture an APC brand name traditional CRAC unit. They will offer a small line of this type of traditional equipment. The in row coolers seem to fit APC's general rule of quality, a lot less parts, easier to warranty, add some racks add another cooler, build as you go.

Post Likes

Mid Grade

Good units with a straightforward, logical control scheme.

I still see their grandaddy Airflow units still on the job after many years of 24/7/365 day duty.

The newer RP's are put together like a wristwatch.

If they have a weak spot, I would say they might want to test their evap coils and CW coils a bit closer for leaks before they leave the factory.

All in all, any problems will show up very early in their lives and after corrected these units will continue to run very well.
    "Iron sharpeneth iron..."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mechdorn View Post
    My company has been servicing and installing APC units for years, before APC acquired the Airflow line. APC believes the traditional CRAC unit is no longer the premium way to cool data room equipment. The in row cooler (directly blown into a server rack) is what they want to sell. It appeals to the IT one stop shopping and service, APC server racks, APC UPS, APC rack coolers, and so on. They want to sell the whole package, all built to fit and work together. If the customer has any IT equipment problems call 1-800 APC and they will get the appropriate technician out to the site. They turned the traditional AX unit into a sophisticated FM unit, full of stepper motors and electronics. Then decided to over price the unit and let the market terminate the FM line, now they cannot compete with other traditional CRAC lines, nor do they want to. Rumor has it they are going to have Stulz manufacture an APC brand name traditional CRAC unit. They will offer a small line of this type of traditional equipment. The in row coolers seem to fit APC's general rule of quality, a lot less parts, easier to warranty, add some racks add another cooler, build as you go.
    Rumor has it they are going to have Stulz manufacture an APC brand name traditional CRAC unit.
    I hope for their sake thats not true!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in