Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing orfice

changing orfice

when changing an older condenser to a 13 seer condenser but keeping the lesser seer evaporator should the orfice be increased slightly or decreased.Seems like it should be decreased to match the smaller compressor. I know an expansion valve would be better but the owner does not want to spend the money( Apartments). Thanks

i would install the size the condenser calls for and pull and clean the evap coil i think only goodman and lennox are still using pistons on there 13 seer units

If you have an owner that’s SO cheap that he doesn’t want a TXV, then IMO, walk away from the job. If you REALLY need the work, then CYA. Make sure you write in the contract something like “recommend changing inside coil” and “no warranty on labor”.

Straight air is pretty forgiving, and you shouldn’t have any trouble, at least for the first year, especially if you use a Scroll compressor. Just make sure everything is clean and done to the best of your ability when you do the work. If you explain everything to the owner, then your conscience is clear, because it was his decision. Cheap people end up paying more in the long run by not doing the job right the first time.

If he does ever call you for repairs, make sure you tell him labor isn't covered before you hang up the phone. Guys like that have a way of forgetting, and not wanting to pay. The contract will come in handy if he doesn't pay the service call and you have to go to small claims court.

Thumbs down

You should do a proper job, and install a matching evap coil fot that condenser. And yes the piston needs to match the condenser unit for a specific evap coil. You cant always use the piston that comes with the condenser or the evap. The new evap will have a piston chart showing what coil needs what piston. But in your case of not doing a proper job, of course that chart will not help you.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Quote Originally Posted by fliks View Post
    when changing an older condenser to a 13 seer condenser but keeping the lesser seer evaporator should the orfice be increased slightly or decreased.Seems like it should be decreased to match the smaller compressor. I know an expansion valve would be better but the owner does not want to spend the money( Apartments). Thanks
    If you do this, you just married the job, contract or not. You can't allow a customer to let you put your name on the job and you know that the work your doing is wrong. Also what about negative feed back from this customer when they tell every one how your work ethics are poor. Even if you tell them what they want is not right, they will still bad mouth you to all. Give them one choice. The right one!

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    i would install the size the condenser calls for and pull and clean the evap coil i think only goodman and lennox are still using pistons on there 13 seer units
    i agree with catman on this
    after you pumpdown old condenser,pull old evap and clean it
    use the new piston that comes with condenser
    get in writing that you rec.changing evap

He might be a maintaince man for the apartment complex, and can't walk away from the job.

Most of the time. A piston for a 13 SEER will be bigger then the piston for a 10 SEER.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    He might be a maintaince man for the apartment complex, and can't walk away from the job.

Most of the time. A piston for a 13 SEER will be bigger then the piston for a 10 SEER.
    see you're point ,you're signature says it all
    try it first,after its not efficient,change coils at owners expense

Quote Originally Posted by fliks View Post
    Why would you even do that in the first place? The coil should be matched with the condenser. You must be working with a cheap homeowner in which case I would walk, or you're doing apartments.

changing orfice

Thanks very much guys. Could you explain why the orfice should possibly be slightly larger instead of smaller. Just curious.I'm always trying to understand and further my knowledge. I understand the system should be matched and this could cause premature compressor failure. Even though I am licensed and have been doing HVAC for over 20 yrs. unfortunately I've been doing apt. maintenance most of that time which is not a good place to learn a/c. Your right the owner wants this and I have to do it. Still I want to do what I can to get the most out of the new condenser. Thanks again

Compression ratio. The lower it is, the less the amp draw, the higher the SEER.
    Most 13 SEER coils are larger then the old 10 SEER coils, it also takes more refrigerant flow through them.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I always change everything from indoor coil from line set with a new condenser. In my opinion it avoids call backs and everything is matched up correctly. Not sure about goodman but I know Lennox for sure still uses orifice.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    By the time you go through all of this, you may as well install the proper rated indoor coil.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast