Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    According to research done by the US Navy, and others, the Spine Fin coils maintain their efficiency better than plate fin coils as they get dirty, and in harsh environments.
    I find them no more difficult to clean than any other coils that have a louvered metal cabinet around them.
    The dirtiest spine fin coil is easier to clean than cleaning between the rows of a double row coil like Lennox uses.

The threaded connections he refers to are the Roto Lock fittings used to connect the compressor. His statement that they are "leaky" is false. Like any connection, there is a chance it could develop a leak, just like there is a chance a piece of tubing in the unit could crack, etc, but there is no history of Roto Lock fitting leakage to back up his statement.

Lennox is no more committed to the residential sector than Trane, just look at how much advertising Trane pours into it, lol.

Having said that, I like Lennox equipment, but that salesman is reaching for false negatives about a competing brand.
    I would kick any salesman to the curb that resorted to brand bashing to try making a sale.

There just really isn't a lot of difference in quality from manufacturer to manufacturer when you are dealing with the mid to upper end products. And in many cases, the only difference is the sheet metal bits. They all are using the same motors and compressors, and in many cases, the same control boards for the furnaces.
    If you laid the control boards, blower motors and safety controls for a Trane and a Lennox 80% 2 stage variable speed furnace side by side, they would be virtually indistinguishable from each other.

The big differences come in the system/comfort controls on the flagship products, and neither Trane or Lennox are #1 in that department.
    The Nordyne IQ drive(sold under several brand names, including Maytag, Fridgidair and Tappan) equipment is the winner in the controls department, but no 5 ton system or heat pumps yet.
    The Carrier Infinity system is a little behind the IQ drive, but is a complete product line.
    Trane is coming out with a new system, but IMO, it falls a bit short of the Carrier Infinity system.
    Amana is coming out with a new system, but it looks like it falls a bit short of either of the ones I mentioned.
    I don't know what, if anything, Lennox has in the pipe.
    What system are you referring to for Amana? The only thing I know of is an enhanced fin on the coils which is not much of a to do.

Except for the diagnostics, the Amana two stage cooling systems with any Goodman/Amana corporate variable speed blower (furnace or air handler) controlled by a Honeywell 8000 thermostat with dehumidification will provide the same comfort and user features as the Infinity does. What am I missing?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by digital686 View Post
    It really is hard to stop a Trane. Simply amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m26zeSMn7WU
    One would think that safety features should have shut that thing down.

Twilli wants to be cool during a flood
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

As for the original question, anytime an HVAC distributor sells a brand of equipment to a contractor, that contractor has been given the manufacturer's authorization to install it. There are contractor specific programs that give contractors an edge with certain brands, but all contractors are authourized to install the brand they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli wants to be cool during a flood

This is the best way to keep cool during a flood.

Last edited by Mr Bill; 02-10-2008 at 07:10 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    What system are you referring to for Amana? The only thing I know of is an enhanced fin on the coils which is not much of a to do.

Except for the diagnostics, the Amana two stage cooling systems with any Goodman/Amana corporate variable speed blower (furnace or air handler) controlled by a Honeywell 8000 thermostat with dehumidification will provide the same comfort and user features as the Infinity does. What am I missing?
    Robo, do you know if goodman is looking at coming out with a 2 stage hp, for all sizes?
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

One would think that safety features should have shut that thing down.
    Nah, it's one of them new fangled water cooled condensers!

Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    Robo, do you know if goodman is looking at coming out with a 2 stage hp, for all sizes?
    I am hearing rumors of it but so far it is only talk.

Quote Originally Posted by digital686 View Post
    Nah, it's one of them new fangled water cooled condensers!
    Does that mean that the furnace is now a boiler?

At the dealer meeting last week they were talking about the 18 SEER coming out with the option to do a normal 7 wire hookup, 4 wire communicating hookup, or wireless communication between the indoor and outdoor units and thermostat, with some control options they haven't had previously.
    Details were sketchy.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12