Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Autorized dealer or not - what's the difference

I often see some guys praising a certain brand and then turns out they are their autorized dealer. I had a guy come out to give me an estimate. He was pushing a certain brand. He admitted being an authorized dealer for that brand, but he said he could install another brand too.

What is the difference to the installer which brand to install? As an authorized dealer do they get bigger discount on the unit and that's why they are pushing it? Would they be a lot less competitive on the other brand, compared to the authorized dealer?

Most of the time it is like an alliance. The dealer has an agreement with a distributor to market and install thier product. If another product is offered, it may come from the same distributor or be a lower end product that has no "dealers". It is difficult for a trane dealer to buy carrier, lennox and so on. There are a few large companies that can, but it is rare. (atleast where i'm at on this big rock)
    The first man gets the pearl, All the second gets is the shell

There could be several reasons a dealer likes a certain brand and it doesn't always have anything to do with price. If you read through this site, you'll find a common piece of advice from most of the experts here, Choose your dealer before brand of equipment. A good dealer is far more important than brand.
    I choose the brands I sell based on the quality of the equipment, how readily it's available, how well the manufacturer stands behind the equipment, and availability of repair parts. If any of these things are lacking, I cannot provide the quality of installation and service my customers expect.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.".... Jerry Garcia
    "You just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore,..I think you know where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate." Prof. Randy Pausch

Sometimes an "authorized dealer" gets incentive points for trips and things like that. I've been told by a few wholesalers that they must give the same price to all dealers unless the dealer gives them a specific job location and they quote a lower price for that one time. I'm in PA, and I don't know if that's a state or federal law.

Any licensed contractor can install any type of equipment that they want.

Authorized tends to derive from the fact that the contractor and manufacturer have a contract with one another.

I work for a Trane and Lennox authorized dealer. And the biggest difference is that we get our equipment straight from Trane and Lennox. i.e. we get the products faster and we get daily shipments.

When a contractor pushes that they are an authorized dealer, its normally because they will get bonuses or points from that dealer for every system sold.

But in the end, purchase what you want. Definately get multiple quotes from reputable contractors. Ask questions and get the best system you can afford. Remember, its an investment, not an expense.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Check the brands website,read about their authorized dealer program,some bRands back their dealers with satisfaction or your money back ,for the first year,plus other things.Check them out and decide if that's for you or not.

SouNds like you may be shopping for thE low bidder,hope not,there's a lot that goes into doing it right.
    Last edited by dash; 02-10-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Twilli is proud of Dash
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Your are buying the contractor not the brand, and thats how you should choose which company to use for your hvac needs.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Everybody says choose the right contractor, yet there is a lot of discussion here about the brands. If several contractors appear good, but sell different brands - how to choose?

This guy likes Lennox. He suggested XP15 with G61V furnace, or if I want to go higher XP19 with G61V. I am little worried whether the complexity of connecting XP19 to G61V will make the system prone to problems that will be difficult to diagnose.

He doesn't like Trane. He says Trane primarily cares for commercial and residential is not their focus, while Lennox focuses on residential. He says Trane's outside unit traps grass clippings which diminish its efficiency within 3 months, while Lennox design makes it easy to clean. He says Trane connections are leaky because they use are threaded.

It's hard to verify these claims for the non-professional. He is Lennox dealer after all, but said if we really push for Trane he will install it.

Why I still keep Trane in mind? Because it seems like everywhere you read it's Trane, Trane, Trane. Also I have 20 year-old Trane XL1200 with XL90 furnace. It lasted 20 years and I secretly hope the new one might too. But Lennox might be just as reliable. Your thoughts gentelmen?

Quote Originally Posted by dafreerider View Post
    Everybody says choose the right contractor, yet there is a lot of discussion here about the brands. If several contractors appear good, but sell different brands - how to choose?

This guy likes Lennox. He suggested XP15 with G61V furnace, or if I want to go higher XP19 with G61V. I am little worried whether the complexity of connecting XP19 to G61V will make the system prone to problems that will be difficult to diagnose.

He doesn't like Trane. He says Trane primarily cares for commercial and residential is not their focus, while Lennox focuses on residential. He says Trane's outside unit traps grass clippings which diminish its efficiency within 3 months, while Lennox design makes it easy to clean. He says Trane connections are leaky because they use are threaded.

It's hard to verify these claims for the non-professional. He is Lennox dealer after all, but said if we really push for Trane he will install it.

Why I still keep Trane in mind? Because it seems like everywhere you read it's Trane, Trane, Trane. Also I have 20 year-old Trane XL1200 with XL90 furnace. It lasted 20 years and I secretly hope the new one might too. But Lennox might be just as reliable. Your thoughts gentelmen?
    Sounds like you have just fallin for tranes marketing...

Deal business with a contractor that you feel comfortable with, and one that will stand behind there work and equipment they install. Warranties and guarantees, are what you should look at.

If a company gives you a 10 year parts and labor warranty, and a maintance contract, they plan on providing you a great service for a long period of time.

If a contractor wants to sell you a job and never hear from you again, what does that tell you?

A company who gives you a written 100% money back guarantee, that you will be satisfied with the job, plans on doing it right the first time and have your best interest in mind.

Quality comes with a price, and quality has very little to do with brand...
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

It really is hard to stop a Trane. Simply amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m26zeSMn7WU

Quote Originally Posted by digital686 View Post
    It really is hard to stop a Trane. Simply amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m26zeSMn7WU
    Thats a good video. I haven't seen that one yet.

He says Trane's outside unit traps grass clippings which diminish its efficiency within 3 months, while Lennox design makes it easy to clean. He says Trane connections are leaky because they use are threaded.
    According to research done by the US Navy, and others, the Spine Fin coils maintain their efficiency better than plate fin coils as they get dirty, and in harsh environments.
    I find them no more difficult to clean than any other coils that have a louvered metal cabinet around them.
    The dirtiest spine fin coil is easier to clean than cleaning between the rows of a double row coil like Lennox uses.

The threaded connections he refers to are the Roto Lock fittings used to connect the compressor. His statement that they are "leaky" is false. Like any connection, there is a chance it could develop a leak, just like there is a chance a piece of tubing in the unit could crack, etc, but there is no history of Roto Lock fitting leakage to back up his statement.

Lennox is no more committed to the residential sector than Trane, just look at how much advertising Trane pours into it, lol.

Having said that, I like Lennox equipment, but that salesman is reaching for false negatives about a competing brand.
    I would kick any salesman to the curb that resorted to brand bashing to try making a sale.

There just really isn't a lot of difference in quality from manufacturer to manufacturer when you are dealing with the mid to upper end products. And in many cases, the only difference is the sheet metal bits. They all are using the same motors and compressors, and in many cases, the same control boards for the furnaces.
    If you laid the control boards, blower motors and safety controls for a Trane and a Lennox 80% 2 stage variable speed furnace side by side, they would be virtually indistinguishable from each other.

The big differences come in the system/comfort controls on the flagship products, and neither Trane or Lennox are #1 in that department.
    The Nordyne IQ drive(sold under several brand names, including Maytag, Fridgidair and Tappan) equipment is the winner in the controls department, but no 5 ton system or heat pumps yet.
    The Carrier Infinity system is a little behind the IQ drive, but is a complete product line.
    Trane is coming out with a new system, but IMO, it falls a bit short of the Carrier Infinity system.
    Amana is coming out with a new system, but it looks like it falls a bit short of either of the ones I mentioned.
    I don't know what, if anything, Lennox has in the pipe.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 02-10-2008 at 02:58 PM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast