+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Propane line from tank

Post Likes

Propane line from tank

Don't deal with propane as most of my work is with natural gas.i have a customer that wants a gas hose approximately 25 feet long run from propane tank to a trailer trailer with a regulator on it.what pressure is in the tank so I can size the hose?

Post Likes
    Leave it to the propane supplier!

Post Likes
    I am not an authority on Propane systems, but if I am not mistaken, there should be a regulator at the tank and you run gas lines from that point. I am not sure it permissible, good practice or safe to rune high pressure propane and then regulate at the end. I am sure someone will chime in with a better answer than mine. I just don't want you going in a bad direction to stat with! Have a good day!!
    Still Crazy after all these years.

Post Likes
    In my area, code enforcement will only allow the HVAC contractor to plumb the first 5ft of gas/propane supply exiting the furnace. Anything beyond that is the plumber's responsibility........ Don't know the exact pressure for propane

Post Likes
    Propane operating pressure is 11" to 14" wc. Depending on the btu load of the equipment and pipe size you can run that pressure from a regulator at the tank or you may need to run a hi pressure reugulator (10 psi) at the tank and them step down before it enters the structure. We as the gas supplier are usually the people that will set the regulators.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the input.so I shd talk to propane supplier because If I want to run high pressure I still need a reg off the tank itself?

Post Likes
    I am not a propane installer. My area is well covered by natural gas. I have seen some propane systems in rural areas where there is a regulator on the tank, it feeds either a 3/8" or 1/2" soft copper line feeding another regulator that was mounted on the side of the house. It then was black piped from there into the house.

Post Likes
    I have never looked at tank so I can't say I have noticed a reg on them when a reg is on structure.thanks I will contact propane company tomorrow

Post Likes

Propane line from tank

There will be a regulator on the tank. Depending on the system btu load and pipe size, you may have a two stage regulator that drops the pressure to operating pressure on the tank or a single stage high pressure regulator on the tank and a separate 2nd stage regulator at the house.

The tank pressure will not be delivered to the structure.

Post Likes
    Thanks,is reg on tank supplier responsibility?

Post Likes
    Yes. Pretty much all jobs that I have done in my area the appliance installer runs the inside lines and we run the outside lines. There are a few companies that will not touch the actual gas piping inside or out because they do not want the liability.

Post Likes

Propane line from tank

I deal with this quite often. The propane supplier will provide us with a regulator at the entrance of the home Outside, we take it from there. In my experience they instal the piping wicked cheap. Best to have them install IMO

Post Likes
    where i am they set the tank and tank regulator. we then run 1/2" black or 1/2" soft copper to the house, set the house regulator and convert to whatever size pipe is needed for the house supply.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Around here we don't use black pipe on propane. Code is galvanized. We stubb out and pressure test our end. And gas company comes from their tank to our lines. If your gen liability doesn't cover gas lines. I wouldn't touch it.
    Last edited by neatheryb; 08-15-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Grammatical error

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the help.will be calling propane company today

Post Likes
    The pressure in the tank varies with the ambient temp. On a cold day you might have 50 psi or less. On a hot day you could have up to 249 psi. That is why you need the correct regulator and a properly sized line -to deliver the needed amount of gas to the appliance at all the different ambient temps and varying tank pressures.

Post Likes
    If it is a 2 stage system, after the 1st stage reg at the tank the pressure should be 8-10 psi, going to the second stage regulator. The second stage regulator takes the pressure down to 11-13" w.c. Depending on the set up the tank may also have a dual stage regulator at the tank which takes it from tank pressure to 11-13" w.c.

Post Likes
    The pressure in tank is completely temperature dependent and it is actually fairly close to that of R-22. That should give you a good idea you don't really want to monkey around with direct tank pressure lines.

They make excess flow shut off valve so if the tank falls over or somehow the hose gets ripped off, the flow cuts out. I'm not sure if the use is a requirement. Propane is extremely flammable and it goes poof if it catches on fire. That's why you should never put it in an AC system and propane fuel piping should be left to gas guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in