3.7 Jace on a 3.3 Server Problem

I recently replaced an old FX-40 with a new FX-60E. The new Jace came loaded with 3.7 and the existing server that it is communicating Niagara point data with is running 3.3. I am having a problem opening the Niagara point data under the imported server because 3.7 Tridium uses a new module called "niagaravirtual.jar". I did a file transfer of the 3.7 niagaravirtual module over to the server figuring it would fix my problem but it does not. Instead I get a "can not hyperlink" error and the details say something along the lines of "can not load module niagaravirtual" or something like that. Has anyone run across this and is there a work around? I have been told by another guy that he has an old server running a bunch of 3.7 Jace's so I'm assuming there is some kind of way around this. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember if they did anything special to fix this. My only thought is to downgrade the jace down to 3.6 since it doesn't use the niagaravirtual module and works fine with a 3.3 server.

Also, since I've never actually done a downgrade of a Jace, can someone give me some pointers on how to do this properly. I know it's a bit more complicated than doing a commissioning upgrade. I'd rather not kill the thing in the process.

Downgrading is in essence the same as upgrading. Also by the book (*soapbox*) you should have all your field JACEs at the same rev or lower than your Server/Supervisor, not the other way around.

Hook up with your desired rev workbench & do a full commission. With something like that, to make sure nothing breaks, easiest procedure is:

1) Move the JACE's station over to your desired workbench Rev on your PC & run it. Resolve any module missing/buggy behavior issues
    2) Once it's running smooth on your PC, cleanDist the JACE & commission it with your desired workbench Rev & transfer your debugged station back over
    3) Repeat debugging process on your downgraded JACE; should be minimal at this point because it's running identical software to your PC
    4) See if your new rev works talking to your Server?

The cleanDist step isn't really necessary depending on who you ask, but I like using it as a guarantee that no unwanted modules get left on the JACE to potentially confuse something down the road. That can be a real debugging hassle

The 6E model is useful with 3.6 up I believe, but you MIGHT be able to go lower if you use a Battery Backup option card to disable the SRAM Data Recovery Service (never tried it, doesn't sound fun). Just in case 3.6 doesn't talk to your Server correctly still

I have considered just going ahead and doing the upgrade on the server up to 3.8 or whatever the current version is. The only thing I am worried about is compatibility problems with old FX-40s I still have on site that are running 3.3. Could I expect any problems with the server being much newer than these old Jace's? If those end up needing an upgrade too then I'm kind of screwed since they can't upgrade past a certain point.

For your customer's sake it's probably best to downgrade the FX60E to 3.6 and make it work for the time being but make them well aware that this is a temporary solution. Phase out the FX-40's to FX60E's at 3.6 at as steady a clip as they will allow and hopefully you'll hit a tripping point where they'll go for changing out the rest. At that point the FX60E's and upgraded server will all be good to go communicating with the newest stuff & since 3.8 is allegedly going to be 4.0 compatible they should be good for a long while

I decided to take a chance and upgrade to a new server version. Worst case scenario I just have to go back down to where I was and I'm out the upgrade cost. They have been asking me to move the server over to a new machine with Win 7 anyways since the old server is running on XP pro. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully I don't run into a problem with the 3.3 Jace's and this fixes my other issue. We'll see...