Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier A/C: Performance Series vs. Infinity

Post Likes

Carrier A/C: Performance Series vs. Infinity

Good afternoon,

I have a 1955 Ranch in Eastern MA. Main living area is approx. 1200 square feet; finished basement living area is approximately 500 square feet. The house is well insulated and has new windows and doors. The house is heated by an oil fired boiler supplying forced hot water through baseboard radiators (I have 3 heating zones: bedrooms, living room/kitchen/dining room, and basement).

As one of the final steps in my home renovation process, I'm looking into installing a conventional a/c system for two reasons:

1. I hate installing window units. We have two (one at each end of the house) that run almost 24/7 during the hot weather, plus two fans to circulate the air.

2. I want to balance the temp in our house. The window units do an ok job, but the cool air doesn't go around corners very well.

I am impressed by the HVAC contractor who deals Carrier products. He is preparing an estimate for installing duct work, condenser, and air handler -- both for the Infinity Series and the Performance Series. He says both are excellent products.

I understand the difference between the two series, but I'm wondering if the Infinity series is really worth the extra cost for my cooling only needs? My wife is already resistent to spending this much money for something we'll only use May-Sept, so I don't want to make a poor decision or overbuy for something I don't need.

I know there's not much price difference between the Comfort and the Performance Series, but I'm guessing there's a significant margin between Performance and Infinity. I just want to make sure I make a good decision, so I'd appreciate some advice from a third party.

Thank you,
    David

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    In a humid climate,Infinity two stage cooling is the way to go.

Not so humid,perfromance single stage ,with variable sped indoor fan and Thermidistat is very good,still some extra dehumidification ,over standard A/C.

Search this site and see what other homeowners think of their Infinity.

Manual,J,S and D calculations ,from www.acca.org are needed by your contractor to give you the correct size system and top performance,regardless of Brand.

Post Likes
    Coleman 2stage
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    dpal

One other thought you might consider.

Take the suggestion of "dash" but rather than an AC condenser go with a heat pump that would handle heating needs in the shoulder months as well as those days radiator heat is not required.

I suspect a heat pump would offer some savings over an oil fired boiler. Discuss this option with your HVAC dealer.

IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Coleman 2stage
    Yes with the ramping IQ Drive compressor from 8000 btu's to 56,000 btu's saved me $5000.00 on my light bill just last summer.

Post Likes
    Is the Carrier Infinity the only Carrier system available with 2 stage cooling and variable speed indoor blower?

Any brand system with 2 stage cooling and variable speed indoor blower can give the same comfort as the Infinity can. However, you should go with the brand the contractor you like prefers to install.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Is the Carrier Infinity the only Carrier system available with 2 stage cooling and variable speed indoor blower?

Any brand system with 2 stage cooling and variable speed indoor blower can give the same comfort as the Infinity can. However, you should go with the brand the contractor you like prefers to install.
    I won't get into it with you,but the Infinity has features that others don't,Final Answer.

dpal, Use the search feature on this site and see what other homeowners think of their Infinity!!

Post Likes
    I have 2 Infinity systems, one is a Furnace/AC combo, and the other is Heat Pump/Variable Speed Air Handler. I love both of them. The controller/thermostat is really what seperates the Infinity systems from others.
    The Performance/Infinity series condensor choice really depends on where you live. With 2 stages, you will get better, gentler cooling than with one stage, and better de-humidification control. But, if you go with a 1 stager, you will still get good results if you pair it with a variable speed indoor unit.
    Both are good O/D units since they both have the Infinity's ABCD bus wiring. Older Performance models did not, and now Im jealous.
    What are your heating needs? Carriers new 58MVC model would work really well for maintaining winter comfort, its a 3 stager.

Post Likes
    We've had our infinity in for four days, but we're liking it already.

On the low fan setting, the unit keeps the air moving too gently to notice any drafts, but enough to balance the temps in our 3 story house. Would have loved it in our old single level with the thermo on the far north side...the rooms on the south side got 12 degrees warmer than the thermo setting before the a/c kicked in.

We went with the performance a/c unit instead of the infinity. It has the "infinity control" hookups to let it talk to the furnace and the infinity thermostat, uses a scroll compressor, and has a decent efficiency rating. The low end infinity outside unit uses a reciprocating compressor and I'm not as comfortable with their reliability as a scroll. Plus the infinity outdoor unit is a fair bit louder than the performance. Not a lot more expensive though, but it'd take me about 10 years to make up the cost difference in reduced electricity in my area.

If you have a lot of humidity or a lot of 80-something weather and you dont mind a bit more noise, the infinity 2 stage a/c might make more sense. Around here, the heat comes in fast, hits triple digits and theres almost no humidity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cfb View Post
    We've had our infinity in for four days, but we're liking it already.

On the low fan setting, the unit keeps the air moving too gently to notice any drafts, but enough to balance the temps in our 3 story house. Would have loved it in our old single level with the thermo on the far north side...the rooms on the south side got 12 degrees warmer than the thermo setting before the a/c kicked in.

We went with the performance a/c unit instead of the infinity. It has the "infinity control" hookups to let it talk to the furnace and the infinity thermostat, uses a scroll compressor, and has a decent efficiency rating. The low end infinity outside unit uses a reciprocating compressor and I'm not as comfortable with their reliability as a scroll. Plus the infinity outdoor unit is a fair bit louder than the performance. Not a lot more expensive though, but it'd take me about 10 years to make up the cost difference in reduced electricity in my area.

If you have a lot of humidity or a lot of 80-something weather and you dont mind a bit more noise, the infinity 2 stage a/c might make more sense. Around here, the heat comes in fast, hits triple digits and theres almost no humidity.
    Nice!

Post Likes
    Well...if this advice isnt good, then I'd suggest you put in a Coleman.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cfb View Post
    Well...if this advice isnt good, then I'd suggest you put in a Coleman.
    Right,twilli will like that one,I meant to say dash says twilli will like that one!!!lol!!!

Post Likes
    I dont mind playing to the crowd.

Plus cfb really enjoys well grounded third person posts.

Post Likes
    Carrier does make a two stager with a scroll compressor, but the staging is 60something % and 100%. The reciprocating is 50/100%, which makes for better humidity control.

Post Likes
    They do, but that ones the 21 seer unit, and its pretty pricey compared to the 15 seer Performance single stage unit. The 21 also a little quieter than the 17 seer reciprocating 2 stager, but still louder than the Performance.

If its sitting next to your garage, probably doesnt matter on the noise. If its outside your bedroom window...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I won't get into it with you,but the Infinity has features that others don't,Final Answer.

dpal, Use the search feature on this site and see what other homeowners think of their Infinity!!
    What is your problem? I ask a question and you cop an attitude like this by saying you won't even answer my question? What a jerk!
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    What a jerk you are,for sure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    What a jerk you are,for sure.
    OH no you don't; I called you a jerk first. No tag backs
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Homeowner here. If I read right you are from Mass? I don't think you'll see a payback with a 2 speed. I have a Bryant that's = to the Performance. I would suggest the Performance with the infinity control and air handler. The control is very advanced and does a whole lot for you. Run some searches and you'll see what I mean.

Bret

Post Likes

Thumbs up Infinity-Heat Pump

I would talk to your contractor about the Infinity Heat Pump with maybe back-up hot water coil and you could do away with those radiator's and baseboards all together.
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in