+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To all you young guns

Post Likes

To all you young guns

Just a little unsolicited advice to anyone thats listening. Learn all you can in this field whenever you can. Don't ever put away your books. At 50+ years of age I'm just getting into aspects of this trade that keeps me up all night. Things like DDC ,airflows, chillers. Don't let opportunities to learn new things pass you by.Learn while your young. Believe me , its much easier.

Post Likes

Smile 25 I'm getting old!

When I compare everythibg I know with everything I don't know, the only thing I do know, is that I know nothing.

Learning is a life long class!
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Post Likes
    Here is advice to all the old guns. Learn from your journeymen and apprentices about new stuff.
    Old gun here.

Post Likes
    I don't know nearly as much as I should in this trade, but I do know one thing; always stay in learning mode.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Post Likes
    I am resigned to the fact that I learn new things every day, but I will still die before I know everything.
    I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

I will defend, to your death, my right to my opinion.

Post Likes
    this site has been the biggest reality check for me on what i have come across,and never even seen over the years.the source of info here is self generated by all the older guys with all those tricks and how to do it right,and i like hearing about the latest stuff out even though i will never see it.you need to be strong in your tonnage range and accept new ideas from the young guys coming in to stay in that LEARNING MODE..and not to slip into that AARP?????KNOWING MODE????of wax on and wax off BS.i remember when TRANE flipped their chillers from the TC-1s on the returns to the solid state modules(W7900) and then to the (UCP-1/UCP-2) on all the stuff ......older guys were scared of the sight of LEDS,and backing away from the units.the young guys were the ones in my face on start-ups asking tons of questions
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    I have 25 years exp. and I never stop learning just about everyday i'm hit with something i've never done before or never worked on, what I teach my students*I teach HVAC for NCCER and I teach in the company I work at in house* if you don't know the *&^% you are doing , look like you know what the *&^% you are doing, they ask does that work, I smile and reply i've been faking it for 25 years , even though I know and they know I have not been faking it , it does get their attention and then they start asking questions,
    1) the only dumb question is an unasked one
    2) What we do in our field is man made and engineered it has to be taught it is an aquired knowledge
    3)An individual never stops learning in our field it is an everchanging world and never stops changing
    4) pay attention to everyone you work with, above and below you no one is dumb, the best information comes from the least expected places, I've had helpers bail me out at times , there is no shame in this
    5) Always listen to your customers they don't know how to fix their equipment but they do know how it normally works, 95% of the time they will give you the answers if you just listen to them
    6)If you ever get stumped on a job or project *I call it tunnel vision* go back to the basic's 98% of the time you will find the answer there

well that is my 2 cents worth anyway hope it helped at least one person on this wonderful site
    Love makes the world go around but cash pays the bills

Post Likes
    Three keys to success in this trade:

1) Understand the refrigeration cycle forwards and backwards

2) Understand electrical theory, circuits, and applications forwards and backwards

3) Understand airflow and air distribution forwards and backwards

Oh, and one more...reason over emotion. If your brain fogs over trying to solve a problem, back off awhile, take a break. Blows me away how well that works. You come back later and the answer slaps you in the face. Alongside, asking for help is never a reduction of one's HVAC manhood.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post

2) Understand electrical theory, circuits, and applications forwards and backwards

Oh, and one more...reason over emotion. If your brain fogs over trying to solve a problem, back off awhile, take a break. Blows me away how well that works. You come back later and the answer slaps you in the face. Alongside, asking for help is never a reduction of one's HVAC manhood.
    Words to live by. That should be posted in every shop.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Post Likes
    The best learning tool I've had over the years were pm's and replacing parts diagnosed and ordered by expierenced tech.'s
    I've replaced MANY compressors over the years and I remember carrying a wiring diagram of the different types of compressors.

Now after let's see...about 20 years I can replace and wire them in my sleep.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    Words to live by. That should be posted in every shop.

And if you think you know it all, be assured that you don't. Really, it's OK.

If you don't learn something every week, you're probably not working enough....
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Post Likes

Those are word's to live by.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    after 22 years I have never stopped learning,and everyday I see work done by those who who have stopped. There will always be work for good mechanics.:

Post Likes

Talking i will be 27 this month

and back when the earth was flat and i knew everything

i spend so much time working to get experience. reading to expand my knowledge. and trying to pick brains on this here website!! i might have worked 5-6hrs today for a paycheck, but have worked since i woke up to leaarn all i can about my trade. after all, HVAC is a way of life how many other trades take thier work on call? not many.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    and back when the earth was flat and i knew everything

i spend so much time working to get experience. reading to expand my knowledge. and trying to pick brains on this here website!! i might have worked 5-6hrs today for a paycheck, but have worked since i woke up to leaarn all i can about my trade. after all, HVAC is a way of life how many other trades take thier work on call? not many.
    I'm 27 also and pretty new to the trade.I am addicted to reading and learning hvacr,but I prolly will never come close to knowing everthing I want to know
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Likes

Lightbulb Hvac Comandments :

Very well said, true words of wisdom!
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in