Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NRGwise View Post
    I would buy a goodman, if it were my house. Get the extended labor warranty, add it with the free 10 year parts warranty. Maintain the furnace yearly and run clean filters.
    anything will run like junk if you neglect it
    they are no longer "junk"atrol its now Goodman

I forgot to address this part of your post.

I've taken care of this system. When we bought the house new, it came with this Goodman system. The first thing that we discovered is that the filter was held in with sheet metal screws. We called the builder and demanded that he address that. He sent a guy out who put in a hinged filter cover. We've always changed the filter every 30 days. We change it that often because if we put anything more restrictive than a cheap fiberglass filter in there, the damn thing freezes up. We buy our filters a box at a time online, because the size is so oddball that we can't get them anywhere in town.

In 11 years, I've had to change several capacitors, a blower motor, and a compressor. Right now, the compressor won't start again and I am running on straight electric heat.

Maybe Goodman makes great stuff now, but I've got a bad taste in my mouth. I really don't want to go down that road again. Maybe all of these problems are related to the original installation, maybe they are not.

I just prefer to try a different brand this time, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
    The common theme on this forum is that load calc is the industry accepted bare minimum these days.
    Well yes a load calc. is a good thing to perform, but trust me I have got my tail in trouble that cost me increasing a system on a large custom home one full ton "at my expense" in Houston because I completely depended on a load calc. so they by themselves are no silver bullet. The folks you have bid your job should have lots of knowledge of your area and the latent and sensible ranges, and also a little common sense won't hurt either, and by the way just because the load calc is common here, you don't really think every Pro here does a load calc do you, I have personally seen systems installed in Houston everyday that perform great in older homes with just an equipment change out, yes a load calc is good to have done but as I said don't think there not mistake proof, just ask me.

Mr. Bill, I understand what you are saying.

This what bothers me: The one guy that seemed to go through the motions of a load calc initially said 4 ton, but then said 3 ton after doing his figuring.

Everyone else has said 4 ton and has said so with confidence.

The current 3 ton HP (with 3.5 AH) has always done an acceptable job of heating and cooling the house. It just has been very expensive to operate and it breaks down a lot.

One of the reasons that I want to upgrade now is that want to gain as much efficiency as possible. I don't want another $600 electric bill this September. My understanding is that if my new system is oversized or undersized, then I will lose a lot of the efficiency that I am seeking.

I don't know how to resolve all of this. If we don't use some kind of scientific method to size the thing, then how? Should I just rely on the experience of the pros and their 500 sq ft per ton rule of thumb?

I am going to spend a lot of money. I don't want to make a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
    I am going to spend a lot of money. I don't want to make a mistake.

And I am one here that totally understands that, and I am very sensitive to my customers spending the big bucks also, so I try my best to use my 30 years of experience in Houston,and my common sense and yes a load calc. if I feel unsure about any job. If I were any customer and someone just wanted to use a loac calc. only I would make them sign an agreement if you were not happy with the performance of your system they would correct it for free, I had to and it cost me dang near the whole profit on a job. I don't believe sizing is as much of a science as just installing the system right and using the correct duct sizes and using at least manual dampers, but everyone has there different opinions on all this, I just stick with whats worked for us for the past 30 years and have had very few complaints.

I hpoe this doesn't upset any one, but I put a Goodman condenser on a 28 year old Lennox evaporator A/H in my building. It works like a champ.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

if anything except for a fiberglass filter causes your system to freeze up, it won't matter what brand you buy. You have a duct system problem, not a Goodman problem. I'd look for a company that is prepared to address ductwork changes and be prepared to pay for them.

By the way it was one of those old condensers that had the fan on the bottom blowing up through the coil.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Culpepper View Post
    I hpoe this doesn't upset any one, but I put a Goodman condenser on a 28 year old Lennox evaporator A/H in my building. It works like a champ.
    Thank you perfect example some things just work out, guess thats what happened to me for 30 years, it's just all worked out.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    etex,

You want a load clac.and should have one,call around and find a contractor that can and will,could even be one of the ones you already have seen,keep dialing.

I think that a really good option is recommendations. Talk to friends, neighbors, and family that live nearby and ask them who they trust and use.
    This will almost always get you a respectable professional job. Even co workers can have good input. Sometimes giving the job to the smaller companys (1-10employees) will get you more on a personal level.

In my opinion I think HVAC guys should be servicing what they install (unless they are new construction guys and only wanna just install). Leave the brain work diagnosing to techs.

Thats why I have a hard time with large hvac companies.

You will find very quickly that it gets rather impersonal after the job is completed. The salesmen you will never see again. The installers you might never see again. If you have maintanence yearly. You may get a different tech each year. They may be pro or green, you wont know. And they wont know your system like they would if they were the engineer, The installer, and the tech all in one.

I hope you find a company that you can trust and grow with, along with you getting what you want from the job quality and running efficiency.

etex211, make sure they look at the ductwork in your home. Like Tinmantu said if it's freezing up, you've got air-flow issues. That may be part of the problems you have had in the past with your system. I also think that 11 years for a builders grade HP is not too bad.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Etek it sounds like your system was poorly installed especially when you say using a good filter makes the unit freeze up.

It sounds as if you have inadequate return air capacity and probably insufficient supply ducts. Airflow is the most critical component of any HVAC installation. Even if you find a company that will perform a load calc if they don’t address airflow a properly sized unit will work poorly and have a short problematic life.

I am a big believer in load calc’s but not to the exclusion of common sense and experience.

You are in a very rural area and that is exacerbating your problem of finding a company.

If you can wait till the spawn a friend of mine and I could see our way clear to install a new system in between trips to Fork.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    I am a big believer in load calc’s but not to the exclusion of common sense and experience.

AMEN!! on that Brother Al, I have been saying this for years but not many seem to believe this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast