Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Okay, I think I am back at square one and I am getting frustrated. (long rant)

I'm beginning to think that none of the dealers around here want my money. I want to buy a higher end system (probably 16-18 SEER) and I want for it to be sized properly. The main reason I am doing it is because my current system is terribly inefficient and it is also unreliable. Because of the expense that will be involved, I will need some type of financing, or I will need for the dealer to accept a credit card. Either way, I intend for the thing to be paid for within 6 months.

Here is a summary of the dealers that I've contacted (or tried to contact) so far:

1. Local American Standard and Amana dealer: The guy came out and spent about an hour with me. He took notes. He asked how big the house was. He took a look at the current system and also went into the attic and looked at the insulation and ductwork. I think that he counted my vents and windows. He called back the next morning and said that his calculation says that I need a 3 ton system. I assume that he did some type of heat load calc, but I am not sure that he gathered enough info. He proposed an AS system on the lower end, but only proposed Amana on the higher end, because he said the AS air handler wouldn't fit through the door of my closet. He didn't offer any solution to try to make it fit. The two Bryant dealers that I've talked to have identified the same problem getting the AH in there, but they've both said it is no big deal to R/R trim from the door facing to get it in there. Financing is available. The Amana warranty looks good, but I'm not thrilled about any Goodman stuff, because my current Goodman/Janitrol is JUNK. Apples to apples, his prices are more than most of the other dealers I've talked to.

2. Carrier/Payne dealer in another town 35 miles away: I talked to him on the phone. He never said a word about visiting the house. He shot me some prices over the phone for Payne stuff on the low end and Carrier stuff on the high end, all 4 ton stuff. Financing is available.

3. Local Frigidaire dealer: He came out and stayed for about two hours, asked lots of questions, looked eveything over really well. He is a really nice guy and I like him. No heat load calc, but he said I need 4 ton. Of all the guys that I've talked to thus far, I personally like him the best, but before anybody says it, I know, no heat load calc is a huge issue. He shot me three different prices for Frigidaire systems. all 4 ton stuff. No financing available. No credit cards accepted.

4. Bryant dealer in another town about 25 miles away. The guy came out and stayed about an hour. He took the longest look at my existing system and also took a look in the attic at the insulation and ductwork. No heat load calc. He called me back the next morning with some really good prices on high end Bryant systems, all 4 ton stuff, said the job would take two days and I would be without heat for one night. No financing available. No credit cards accepted.

5. Local Bryant dealer, rather large dealership, comes highly recommended by a good friend. Guy came out Wednesday afternoon and stayed for a while. Looked at existing system, but didn't take a peek in the attic. Of course, no load calc. Gave me great prices on 4 different Bryant systems before he left, all 4 ton stuff. He said he would call me back Thursday morning to answer my question about financing. At 4:45 Thursday, I still hadn't heard from him, so I called the office to request that he give me a call. The receptionist said that he had been out of the office all day, but that she would get him the message. It is now after 5:00 on Friday and I still haven't heard back from him. I found out from the receptionist that they do accept credit cards.

6. Very large Lennox/Maytag dealership in a town 35 miles away: Contacted them late this afternoon, expecting to hear from someone Monday.

7. Local Frigidaire dealership: Got the number from the Frigidaire website, the number is out of service, glad I didn't buy from this guy before he went under.

8. Another local Frigidaire dealership: I called and got a lady on the phone. I told her that I wanted a new heat pump. She asked if I had an existing system. I told her that I do, a 3 ton heat pump with a 3.5 ton air handler. She asked if I wanted to go back with that same size (no kidding, she really asked that). My reply: "I have no idea. Can't you do a heat load calc to see what I need?" Her reply: "Oh, yeah, he can do that." I guess I'll hear from someone Monday, but I'm not expecting much on this one.

I've contacted 8 dealerships thus far and every one of them has major flaws. Am I being unreasonable? Before I hand several thousand dollars over to someone, I expect them to put a little effort into making the sale.

I'm beginning to run out of options.

Rant over.

Side question: Most of the major manufacturers are touting 12 month, zero percent financing on their websites. Most of the dealers say they don't participate in that program. What gives?

Where are you located we may be able to recommend someone.

There are many reasons that a company may not offer financing it also cost to provide those free offers.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Where are you located we may be able to recommend someone.

There are many reasons that a company may not offer financing it also cost to provide those free offers.

I am in northeast Texas, east of the Dallas market and north of the Tyler market.

Yes, I have found that out about the 0% offers. The manufacturer websites make it sound like they are offering the financing, when in actuality, it is third party financing, and the dealer is footing part of the bill. If I can't get the financing, it's no big deal. 0% introductory credit card offers are everywhere....and I do understand that the dealer gets charged 3-4% if I use a credit card. I'm willing to add that to the price if that's what I have to do to get the deal done.

To be honest, if a dealer insists on cash only, I can find a way to work around that. That's not my major concern right now. I'd just be happy to find a dealer that wants to take care of his business properly.

I treat a credit check as cash but I do check it out first.

When you say east of Dallas where exactly Tyler. I now of several good contractors in that area. We also have numerous contractors on this site that are in your area.

When you say east of Dallas where exactly Tyler. I now of several good contractors in that area. We also have numerous contractors on this site that are in your area.

I went back and amended my other post, probably after you read it.....

I am east of the Dallas market and north of the Tyler market......about an hour and a half from either place.

So that puts you in Lake Fork.

Your what I call a window shopper, no offense to you and your vision of what you want. But personally, As a salesman I have seen guys do what you do. They get 5-10 different estimates, and they get completely overloaded with information.
    The first salesmen out gives you information that you use to talk to the next guy u have out. Recycling information for each different dealer you have over. I see you have listed a long list of estimaters. Youve covered all your angles well.

Most salesmen can understand when this is happening to them. Some dont care and others will put you on the back burner. Financing is only given to qualified dealers that do quantity.

I have accepted credit card checks, but I dont accept actual cards
    P.s. dont finance unless you want to pay $10,000 for a $6000 system
    I would buy a goodman, if it were my house. Get the extended labor warranty, add it with the free 10 year parts warranty. Maintain the furnace yearly and run clean filters.
    anything will run like junk if you neglect it
    they are no longer "junk"atrol its now Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by NRGwise View Post
    Your what I call a window shopper, no offense to you and your vision of what you want. But personally, As a salesman I have seen guys do what you do. They get 5-10 different estimates, and they get completely overloaded with information.
    The first salesmen out gives you information that you use to talk to the next guy u have out. Recycling information for each different dealer you have over. I see you have listed a long list of estimaters. Youve covered all your angles well.

Most salesmen can understand when this is happening to them. Some dont care and others will put you on the back burner. Financing is only given to qualified dealers that do quantity.

I have accepted credit card checks, but I dont accept actual cards
    P.s. dont finance unless you want to pay $10,000 for a $6000 system
    I would buy a goodman, if it were my house. Get the extended labor warranty, add it with the free 10 year parts warranty. Maintain the furnace yearly and run clean filters.
    anything will run like junk if you neglect it
    they are no longer "junk"atrol its now Goodman
    No offense to you but as a salesman you just lost a sale. The OP is not a window shopper he is a person that is willing to spend money for a quality product (regardless of brand) that is properly sized and installed. This customer has an objection/need that has not been identified or addressed. The job of a salesman is to identify a need and provide a solution to that need.

It is obvious from the OP's post that none of the contractors that have visited his home or he has spoken to have done their job. If you were a salesman for me we would be doing some training.

Why would you not take credit cards you are passing up a huge market. I have customers that insist on using CC's for everything from seasonal check-ups to $20,000 systems. They want those frequent flyer miles. I use a CC for everything because it provides me with a 5% rebate. I almost never finance but I do a fair amount of credit cards.

No offense to you but as a salesman you just lost a sale.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Sales people do have to qualify their prospects to avoid spending too much time on someone who isnt going to buy, or buy from them.

For what its worth, I had the same problems as the OP. I'd done a lot of research on local companies and the products they sold. I had a pretty good idea what I did and didnt want, but was willing to listen to other ideas.

Several salesmen wanted to spend two multi-hour sit down discussions before they'd quote me a system. I dont want four hours of sales pitch, just what is recommended, the scope of work, and how much that'll cost me.

Several missed appointments and didnt call until later in the day. Several said they'd look into questions and never called back. I called a couple and didnt hear back until 3-4 business days later.

Only one actually took any measurements and only two looked in the attic and crawlspace.

Having been in sales of expensive equipment for a long time, I know well that a lot of businesses respond better to people before they have the customers money than they do afterwards when the customer becomes an expense. I therefore buy accordingly.

This did make my decision pretty easy, even though I had some serious installation pains. Only one guy didnt oversell me, was specific in his proposal and scope of work, and had a decent mid range price.

What a mishmosh of results though. I was quoted systems 2 tons apart from the low to the high, 70-100kbtu differences on the furnace, all different efficiencies, even the ones that were uninstallable, lowballs, various bizarre warranty arrangements, and one guy who was going to sell me some Trane stuff but he was going to take the covers off the outside unit to cut the costs a little. I guess.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cfb View Post
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Sales people do have to qualify their prospects to avoid spending too much time on someone who isnt going to buy, or buy from them.

For what its worth, I had the same problems as the OP. I'd done a lot of research on local companies and the products they sold. I had a pretty good idea what I did and didnt want, but was willing to listen to other ideas.

Several salesmen wanted to spend two multi-hour sit down discussions before they'd quote me a system. I dont want four hours of sales pitch, just what is recommended, the scope of work, and how much that'll cost me.

Several missed appointments and didnt call until later in the day. Several said they'd look into questions and never called back. I called a couple and didnt hear back until 3-4 business days later.

Only one actually took any measurements and only two looked in the attic and crawlspace.

Having been in sales of expensive equipment for a long time, I know well that a lot of businesses respond better to people before they have the customers money than they do afterwards when the customer becomes an expense. I therefore buy accordingly.

This did make my decision pretty easy, even though I had some serious installation pains. Only one guy didnt oversell me, was specific in his proposal and scope of work, and had a decent mid range price.

What a mishmosh of results though. I was quoted systems 2 tons apart from the low to the high, 70-100kbtu differences on the furnace, all different efficiencies, even the ones that were uninstallable, lowballs, various bizarre warranty arrangements, and one guy who was going to sell me some Trane stuff but he was going to take the covers off the outside unit to cut the costs a little. I guess.
    If you want higher end equip. DO NOT BUY GOODMAN!!!!!!!!! This is for people that want cheap, that is the market they have cornered. If you want inexspensive then buy goodman. It's the best buy for the price. But remember this. Not bashing!!!! ( The bitterness of low quality, long sucseeds the sweetness of low pricing! )

Whats with the popcorn Mr.Bill

Quote Originally Posted by toptek View Post
    Whats with the popcorn Mr.Bill

It means that I am sitting back watching the show thats about to start.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast