+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I JUST GOT FIRED...HELP A YOUNGIN?

Post Likes

Confused I JUST GOT FIRED...HELP A YOUNGIN?

So I just got fired an hour ago from a mom and pop shop that did new construction hvac and commercial service. I feel like a loser. I only worked there for 1 month and my refrigeration classes start in two weeks.... So basically i was working hard this whole month but yesterday the manager gave me and a coworker a long talk about working faster and more efficiently yada yada yada. I thought about it all night and woke up the next morning ready to rock and work my butt off. instead I got fired. This is what happened. so today, I freaking walk into the shop and see what we need. oh we need 1 inch straps. So i grab a sheet of 22g sheet metal put it on the machine and start adjusting the inches. welll i messed up. I went to far back and went past 0 inches and to 99 inches. now the thing is stuck. it doesn't wanna go down inches or up inches. i go inside and grab boss i says the machines is stuck. he comes out looks at it, says did YOU DO THIS?! I said yeah it was an accident. he said PACK YOUR SHIZ UP AND GET THE F OUT, YOUR FIRED! I was shocked. just like that. my confidence shot down to zero. I tried pleading but he just said you cant seem to grasp it leave my building. So basically guys, I know i did a stupid thing but it feels like there's no room at all for mistakes in this trade..maybe I should quit... I mean i busted my butt for a month and got fired over one mistake. I was doing everything demoing,running parts, cleaning up, helping service guys. I felt like a whole world of learning was opening up. then boom this guy shuts the door on me. sooo... I guess I'm asking is how do i learn and grow from this? I don't want to get another job just to get fired again.. thanks yall. BTW just in case yall wondering im 20 years old.

Post Likes
    dont get down yourself i was in your shoes when i was your age wanting to learn a trade went threw alot of jobs building exper. everyone will make mistakes keep your eye on your goals it will come just like mine im now the maint. supervisor for the local school dist.

Post Likes
    alright man thanks, Just gotta keep moving forward!

Post Likes
    IF what you say is true just ignore it and find a real job.

It sounds like you like the trade , thats what will catapult you into knowing more and making more unfortunately jobs today dont really revolve around what you do or know, its more who you do or know.

Get out there and knock on doors buddy, if you love it, you will go even farther but remember, in this economy it seems like there are more backbiters than brothers working in this trade,,i miss the good old days.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
    IF what you say is true just ignore it and find a real job.

It sounds like you like the trade , thats what will catapult you into knowing more and making more unfortunately jobs today dont really revolve around what you do or know, its more who you do or know.

Get out there and knock on doors buddy, if you love it, you will go even farther but remember, in this economy it seems like there are more backbiters than brothers working in this trade,,i miss the good old days.
    Yeah tell me about it.. There was alot of backbiting going on at this company. So your telling me to knock on doors..I agree! But one question..what kind of doors? Im saying like should i look for big companies, small companies..residential, commercial..new construction..install...refrigeration... So yeah what do you reccommend? quite honestly after this experience I dont want to deal with a mom and pop, feels like low job secuirty with them...Which avenue would be best for learning? at this moment money is not a concern.

Post Likes
    Try all of the companies in your area that deal in the HVAC and Refrigeration installation and service business. Someone will give you a break, if you just keep bugging them for a job. Just be tenacious and it will happen
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    There's always market work.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    There's always market work.
    market work for a helper with 1 month experience? If so, how do I find a market company that will train me.thanks.

Post Likes
    Call source if they are in your area but dont expect to ever be home again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
    market work for a helper with 1 month experience? If so, how do I find a market company that will train me.thanks.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    Write the Boss a letter and tell him how much you enjoyed working there and that you appreciate the opportunity. Then tell him how much you have learned from the shop and if they need a reference you will be glad to tell them your name. You will be surprised how you will succeed.

Post Likes
    that sucks, it sounds like he had his mind made up about firing someone and you made it easy. tocoolforschool has a good point. a letter might help you if need a reference later on. he may get over it sooner. as for the situation at hand now, brush it off. don't let it hold you back. feeling down will not help in a job interview. there are many shops willing to train but you may start even lower on the ladder.

Post Likes
    Ambition,
    Get into refrigeration and stay there. It's year round work and something different everyday. I am a small 2 man shop including me, and I am constantly looking for young guys like you who want to learn and have a little schooling under their belt. Just have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. Show up on time, always. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Write the Boss a letter and tell him how much you enjoyed working there and that you appreciate the opportunity. Then tell him how much you have learned from the shop and if they need a reference you will be glad to tell them your name. You will be surprised how you will succeed.
    I just sent a text like that to my manager after reading your post, made me feel like the bigger man.

Post Likes
    hey seanh, thats my goal to get into refrigeration. the shops tell me I need certs before I can work though because Ill be handling freon? But Anyhow I called them all up from bluebook some seem interested and asked me to email resume, some said I need certs. for what its worth thank you all!! really helped my morale cuz i got my family saying Im an idiot and am not cut out for Hvac & that I need to go and get a "real degree". Haters gonna hate

Post Likes
    Yeah tell me about it.. There was alot of backbiting going on at this company. So your telling me to knock on doors..I agree! But one question..what kind of doors? Im saying like should i look for big companies, small companies..residential, commercial..new construction..install...refrigeration... So yeah what do you reccommend? quite honestly after this experience I dont want to deal with a mom and pop, feels like low job secuirty with them...Which avenue would be best for learning? at this moment money is not a concern.
    You just gotta go with anything and everything. Life is funny that way. You have no idea how your prior experiences help you with future employment. When I first got out of refer school, I went with a small company, but the guy "lacked morals" and I saw him screw over some people.

My next job was with a guy who only had one other person when I hired on, when I left, he had over twenty. And is was an experience that would be difficult to beat anywhere else. So it's not really about the size of the shop. There are factors at play that you can't possibly anticipate; just keep pushing forward, don't ask for much money during those first five years while you are learning, and try to be aware of everything around you.

Rock on and Good Luck !!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    You just gotta go with anything and everything. Life is funny that way. You have no idea how your prior experiences help you with future employment. When I first got out of refer school, I went with a small company, but the guy "lacked morals" and I saw him screw over some people.

My next job was with a guy who only had one other person when I hired on, when I left, he had over twenty. And is was an experience that would be difficult to beat anywhere else. So it's not really about the size of the shop. There are factors at play that you can't possibly anticipate; just keep pushing forward, don't ask for much money during those first five years while you are learning, and try to be aware of everything around you.

Rock on and Good Luck !!
    Hell yeah man. Appreciate the advice. Im learning too as I get older that you really have to just go with things and move forward. Dwelling on negatives does nothing but keep you stuck. Heres a question Mr Professional. I might get offered a job doing piece work. With chas roberts. New construction homes HVAC installation. I have no experience installing. They said there's like a 5 week training period. Im a semi athlete so working fast and hard aint no problem. Im more concerned about being able to learn efficiently in that period of time for training to be able to install fast. I also got offered a hvac helper job with a sole owner, he wanted minimum wage. I told him gimme some time. So yeah what do you think of install piece work for a guy with no experience? Will I be able to become fast and efficient within 5 weeks? BTW they pair us in two man teams and my lead will get a fatter split then me since im the helper. He will be the guy training me.

Post Likes
    Hell yeah man. Appreciate the advice. Im learning too as I get older that you really have to just go with things and move forward. Dwelling on negatives does nothing but keep you stuck. Heres a question Mr Professional. I might get offered a job doing piece work. With chas roberts. New construction homes HVAC installation. I have no experience installing. They said there's like a 5 week training period. Im a semi athlete so working fast and hard aint no problem. Im more concerned about being able to learn efficiently in that period of time for training to be able to install fast. I also got offered a hvac helper job with a sole owner, he wanted minimum wage. I told him gimme some time. So yeah what do you think of install piece work for a guy with no experience? Will I be able to become fast and efficient within 5 weeks? BTW they pair us in two man teams and my lead will get a fatter split then me since im the helper. He will be the guy training me.
    I would go with the sole owner. One problem with the install gig is that it is easy to get stuck there. And you'll pretty much be doing the same thing over and over. Then there are other issues or politics with the piece work aspect of it.

With the sole owner, you are much more likely to see a much wider variety of work, which will be more likely to reap bigger benefits in the long run. No matter how you slice or dice it, your first five years are the years you pay your dues; you're not looking for money, you're looking for experience.

Post Likes
    Speaking of experience, check out this thread:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....cooling-no-how

Look closely at the photo's. Notice how the disconnect is on, but the knife blades are not making contact. Also notice the burned wires. Those photo's were taken two days after one of our PM guys did the service. Although the PM guy is pretty good and has quite a bit of experience, he totally screwed up this job.

That is quite possibly one of the single biggest rookie mistakes that ever gets made. Knowing how to service the disconnect (and making sure the unit is on before you leave the job!). My point is that these are the things you need to pick up on and experience is the only way to do that. You'd never get that experience installing new units.

Post Likes
    Hate to suck the positivity out of this thread but it's been my experience that people don't get fired they fire themselves, and as far as mistakes go people who don't make mistakes don't DO anything.

Post Likes
    and as far as mistakes go people who don't make mistakes don't DO anything. I keep saying that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in