Hybrid View

Concerned about duct install

I just had my 1st floor ducts replaced(old one were 60 years old). I have a 2 ton Lennox system(1900 Sqft 1st level, seperate system on level 2), the central return is 26 X 8 rectangle metal duct. About a 20 foot run with one 90 deg turn. The return floor opening is 30 x 8. Is this enough or should I have an additional return installed? Currently I wouldn't say the return is loud, but it is certainly not quiet Thanks.

If it was a contract job, what did your contract specify? Did they replace the ducts with the same size, or was the old return duct 30 x 8? If the old return was 26 x 8, was it making noise before. The return duct capacity should be equal to or greater than the supply ducts. What did your contractor say?

This is all new duct work. The contractor stated he would have liked it a little bigger, but there are many design limitations(old house). He replaced ducts based on calculations(room sizes, windows, furnace siz etc.) The old setup had returns in every room. It was a very messy arrangement that did not work well at all. So it was not noisy, because half of it leaked in the basement. My basement is much colder with the new ducts. The new ducts are all larger then their predecessors.

For a very rough comparison, compare the combined surface area of your old ducts to the new duct (8 x 26 = 208 sq. in.) No matter what, the return size should be equal to or greater than the supply duct. Call the guy who did the installation and ask him about the noise.

Can't understand why he would eliminate returns in each room. Except of course, kitchen and baths.

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    Can't understand why he would eliminate returns in each room. Except of course, kitchen and baths.

Ditto...inspectors here like returns in all BR'S.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography