I just discovered this about Bryant Evolution

The Bryant Evolution heat pumps actually come in three different models -- 288A, 286A, and 698B.....

The 288A has the Copeland scroll compressor while the other two models have reciprocating compressors.

The bid proposal from one of my Bryant dealers doesn't specify the model numbers. I need to demand the 288A, right?

Please tell me what else I need to know about the difference in these models.

Thanks again for all the help. I've learned a lot from this site in the last couple of weeks.

The 698B is no longer made, it was replaced by the 286. The 286 with the Bristol TS compressor has a greater difference between 1st and 2nd stage. This allows it to do a much better job of dehumidifing and usually more accurately matching the load of the building.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Thanks for that info, Plainspoken.

How do the two compressors compare with regard to efficiency and reliability?

I have to admit a certain bias against Bristol compressors in general. The Bristol compressor in my junky 12 year old Goodman Janitrol system shorted internally to ground last spring. A buddy of mine (he is not in the HVAC business, but in the regrigeration business) helped me change it out. He told me that Bristol is bottom of the barrel stuff.

I guess I need a little encouragement that the Bristol TS in the Evolution would be okay.

This compressor has been very reliable.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

I wouldn't hold a compressor failure in a 12 year old Janitrol against Bristol!

While I like scrolls, I would prefer the 50/100% staging of the TS over the scroll which really works out to more like 80/100% staging even though the low capacity is claimed more like 67%.

Key is best possible installation and proper sizing. That's getting hard to find these days

Quote Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
    I have to admit a certain bias against Bristol compressors in general. The Bristol compressor in my junky 12 year old Goodman Janitrol system shorted internally to ground last spring. A buddy of mine (he is not in the HVAC business, but in the regrigeration business) helped me change it out. He told me that Bristol is bottom of the barrel stuff.

I guess I need a little encouragement that the Bristol TS in the Evolution would be okay.
    Like Baldie said, I also wouldn't put Bristol's feet to the fire for a twelve year old pot going bad.

Shorted to ground compressor often means there was a problem in the refrigeration side of the system. Sometimes it can be a power supply problem, more often than not it is a refrigeration system that is undercharged, overcharged, dirty condenser, dirty evaporator coil, blower wheel, and filter, too many supply vents closed off in the house, bad ductwork, etc.

I will say I find the older Bristols to run a bit louder than Copeland or Tecumseh recips of similar capacities.

Reciprocating compressors overall are very reliable. A scroll will fail for the same reasons a reciprocating compressor will, regardless of brand...improper installation, service, and/or maintenance. Compressors for the most part do not die; they're murdered.