Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 81
  1. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    east kansas
    Posts
    8,032
    Quote Originally Posted by defaultech View Post
    always remember on aaon, lennox, and trane, to go back with factory motors. anything less will NOT last. it be intentional but its truth
    I agree.

  2. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    11,347

    *

    Quote Originally Posted by AcDOCnTRAINIG View Post
    Why not in his opinion OEM motors are better, I don't see why thats not smart
    no, he did not say that O.E.M. parts are better

    lets go over what he said;

    AAON, LENNOX, and TRANE, when replacing motors on these systems, anything other than O.E.M. will not last!

    this was a very inaccurate statement, if the statement is true in your experiences

    than you are simply installing these parts improperly, or your not matching up parts properly!



    .

  3. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central, FL
    Posts
    871

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    no, he did not say that O.E.M. parts are better

    lets go over what he said;

    AAON, LENNOX, and TRANE, when replacing motors on these systems, anything other than O.E.M. will not last!

    this was a very inaccurate statement, if the statement is true in your experiences

    than you are simply installing these parts improperly, or your not matching up parts properly!
    You will continue thinking that way till one day you run into a problem like I did. See I thought just like you "AFTERMARKET" that was the purpose of this thread. I found out threw there tech support that Lennox have there condenser fan motors tied into a main control board and pressure switches,depending on stage and pressure it will decide to run motors. Those motors can cycle on and off up to 10x per cylce thats why they have stronger windings and bearings,also come with rain sheilds which keep the bearings well lubed and water out.There fan blades are pitched especialy balanced for a 1060 rpm motor(NOT 1075). The big picture is the whole thing is monitored from there control station, I mean everything amps(every motor), volts, pressures,stages,delta temp,static,even condensate line. Any thing goes wrong there on the phone with us. Its changed my way of thinking cause going aftermarket could of made me lost that account worth a WHOLE lot more than saving a few bucks on a motor! You see what I mean Burnnn
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

  4. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    springdale, ar
    Posts
    6
    Hey, You may not see it to be smart but i can prove several documented cases where someone has pulled a condensor fan motor from the three brands I mentioned and they did not last. I had an aaon this summer that the customer matched motor perfectly and it still overheated. I ordered factory motor and it ran ok. many people make the mistake of replacing motors without thinking about dirty condensors raising the motor ambient temperature i know but factory motors will always last longer than aftermarket. Factory motors always fit right with proper lead length and/or proper plug. I cant stand to see motor leads and capacitors taped or zip tied to fan brackets. If you think thats ok then I see why you think my first post is not smart. hey, i know there are times the unit has to be fixed immediately and thats the only option but when possible keeping the unit original is always best.

  5. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    east kansas
    Posts
    8,032
    Quote Originally Posted by defaultech View Post
    Hey, You may not see it to be smart but i can prove several documented cases where someone has pulled a condensor fan motor from the three brands I mentioned and they did not last. I had an aaon this summer that the customer matched motor perfectly and it still overheated. I ordered factory motor and it ran ok. many people make the mistake of replacing motors without thinking about dirty condensors raising the motor ambient temperature i know but factory motors will always last longer than aftermarket. Factory motors always fit right with proper lead length and/or proper plug. I cant stand to see motor leads and capacitors taped or zip tied to fan brackets. If you think thats ok then I see why you think my first post is not smart. hey, i know there are times the unit has to be fixed immediately and thats the only option but when possible keeping the unit original is always best.

    Don't sweet it, you had it right with your first post.

  6. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,085
    Those aftermarket motors are great for holding you over until the OEM comes in.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  7. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    11,347

    *

    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Those aftermarket motors are great for holding you over until the OEM comes in.
    this is (probably) my last post about this subject

    since 1980 i have most likely replaced over 400 motors (cond and evaps)

    of the approximate 400 motors, maybe 20 of them were O.E.M., the only 2 non O.E.M. motor failure callbacks

    i can recall was when i replaced a rheem cond. motor with an aftermarket motor

    it stopped working the day after i installed it (opening on internal O.L.)

    but thats because there was no tag on the motor, it was an 875 rpm motor, i replaced it with a 1075 motor

    i should have been smart enough to use a pitch gauge on it, or called manufacturer to get info on the motor

    the other motor callback (thats a dirty word in the service trade) was on a carrier 80 ton chiller cond. motor

    the 460 volt single phase motor was marked by carrier as a 3/4 h.p. i noticed the replacement motor

    was physically smaller, but i installed it anyway, that motor after about 10 minutes of run time, cycled off on O.L.

    went back to the supply house and got a 1 h.p. motor it was phsically the same size as what i was replacing

    slammed the 1 h.p. motor in and i was golden

    not having to wait for carrier to get the motor in, and saving the customer a few hunded dollars

    and at the same time making the full amount of profit, with the exact same warranty, priceless!

    without doing a bunch of math that equates to only 8% of the motors i installed with O.E.M.

    lets review: full profit, save customer money, full warranty, i guess that makes me the aftermarket Mounty





    .

  8. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,085
    It works for you.

    Or did you replace the same 10 motors 400 times. Just kidding.

    On 460 single phase, I prefer the OEM motor.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  9. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    crossville
    Posts
    608

    Unhappy no it doesnt

    Quote Originally Posted by rambonole View Post
    1 hp not 1ph...has to be 3 ph
    I have install a many 1 horse power 460 volt 1 phase condenser fan motors
    all the mfg use them
    and most larger supplu houses carry them in stock
    they aint cheap tho
    If you cant cool it
    HEAT THE Hello out of it

  10. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    St Paul, minnesota
    Posts
    1,211
    [QUOTE=sodd81927;175684

  11. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    659
    I have done the same and after markets work great! Guess I should tell my boss and all the customers aftermarkets don't work and we will be replacing them. Gezz some were but in 8 years ago and still no call backs. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Aftermarkets work great.Unless you get commission on OEM from the factory then OEM rock..

  12. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,031
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    On 460 single phase, I prefer the OEM motor.
    thats cool!

    no asterisk here, but as i learn, and from what i seen;

    460 volt fractional hp motors, in some cases the aftermarket motors can at times be better than OEM

    but for 460 volt motors of 1 hp and up the oem motors definately are the safe and sure bet
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton


    I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!


    Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

  13. #78
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    49
    Go with OEM!! You'll learn the hard way, if you go with a/m!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event