Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    Why does a 460 volt condensor motor have to be 3 phase?
    1ph. 460 volt motors aren't exactly known for their longevity, and I'll bet that a 3ph. motor uses substantially less power than a 1ph motor anyway. Other than that, I don't see any reason.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Quote Originally Posted by AcDOCnTRAINIG View Post
    Today we got a call from the local circuit city, they had one system tripping on high head pressure (they can monitor/diagnose this from there head quaters) My tech pulls out the burned condenser fan motor condenser fan motor is a 460V single phase motor. Is there anything out there like this after market or do I have to contact Lennox? I really would not want to go threw Lennox unless its absolutly neccesary to do so? Thanx guys
    If unit is under warranty and was direct buy from Lennox, they may have the same 3 yr. bumper to bumper parts warranty that MCD's has. Get to the top of the chain to find out. With Mickies, it took me about a week to get there through the channels.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. John Adams

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by rscamaro View Post
    1ph. 460 volt motors aren't exactly known for their longevity, and I'll bet that a 3ph. motor uses substantially less power than a 1ph motor anyway. Other than that, I don't see any reason.

...Ron
    Then you would have to add all the other feature associated with 3 phase motors, a starter with overloads for every condenser fan. Then you try to shove it into the smallest foot print you can .Single phase motor internal overloads most of the time. What tin can non servicable motor last long anyways these days?

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    if you check 2 legs across 480 you will come up with 277, if that motor came off of a 3 phase 480 unit with single phase motors then they are 277 motors

open up books and restudy

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    Huh? When did that start? They changed the fundamental laws of electricity?

If you check across a 480V single phase circuit I would expect to see around 480V. If you checked either leg to ground you would get 277V. 277V is one 480V hot leg and a nuetral. 480V single phase is two 480V lines.
    Heh I have to agree with you sir, when I read that post I was like WHAT THE????
    Love makes the world go around but cash pays the bills

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    480V single phase is two 480V lines.

hey bro, that equals 960 volts!

I would just change contactor and install 3 phase motor, more reliable cheaper, and always available and cheaper to operate, I have changed condenser fan moters on supermarket refrigeration from single phase to 3 phase many times, its usualy easy to pull the wire from panel to roof and change over as the motors go bad. I had one with 12 1/2 hp motors I was changeing 1 motor per month went to 3 phase and in 4 years never changed another.....JMO

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Then you would have to add all the other feature associated with 3 phase motors, a starter with overloads for every condenser fan. Then you try to shove it into the smallest foot print you can .Single phase motor internal overloads most of the time. What tin can non servicable motor last long anyways these days?
    no doubt, I pulled a brand new 1 hp for a 20 ton trane split unit out of the box, installed it and it was DOA! Gonna check windings from now on!
    You can't fix stupid

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rscamaro View Post

...Ron
    ron,

power is watts!
    746 watts per horsepower!
    single phase
    3 phase
    4 phase
    any phase

famous quote
    a watt is awatt
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    ron,

power is watts!
    746 watts per horsepower!
    single phase
    3 phase
    4 phase
    any phase

famous quote
    a watt is awatt
    X2

how did this thread get so long? whats the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    no doubt, I pulled a brand new 1 hp for a 20 ton trane split unit out of the box, installed it and it was DOA! Gonna check windings from now on!
    Was the motor physically stuck...I had one like that too from Trane.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Was the motor physically stuck...I had one like that too from Trane.
    no it spun like brand new, just no go, open winding
    You can't fix stupid

personally I've never seen so many techs that have never seen a 480v single phase motor!
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast