Replacing Home System

With a recent warm day we had lately (D/FW area) we found out that our 10 year old compressor's (Zephyr) fan had quit working. I also have a leak somewhere in the system that forces me to get a recharge 1-2 times a year. This is just the latest problem with the compressor, and I decided to see what it would take to replace it. I ended up getting a few quotes on systems and wondered what would be the best way to go (I'm leaving prices out, but I'll give approx percentages of each one for comparison). My current system is a 2.5 ton, 10 SEER system, with a RUUD inside unit.

Option 1: Trane XR13 system 3 ton/13 SEER (no heat pump) 10 yr warranty who has a great reputation. We will say this is the 100% system for comparison.

Option 2: Lennox 13XPY030 2.5 Ton/13 SEER (w/ heat pump) 5 yr warranty, at around 85% of the Trane cost.

Option 3: AirFlow 2hp13BOP (I think) 2.5 Ton/13 SEER (w/heat pump) 1 yr parts/5 yr compressor warranty at 66% of the Trane cost.

I was trying to figure out what would be the best way to go. I will probably be in this house for another 5 years or so, and someone told me that Trane was the only system that I would be able to really use as a selling point when it came time to sell, and that might actually be something that adds to my value when I sell in 5 years.

I was also trying to figure out what the new system would provide on savings each year. During the summer and winter months, my utility bill runs around $250-300. The trane guy said I could see up to 20% improvement on my bills.

Any recomendations?

heat pump

I would go with one of the heat pumps. In your warmer climate it should work well.

So what's getting changed? What is inside? Gas furnace? Electric furnace?

Something fishy if heat pumps are cheaper than straight cool Trane.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    So what's getting changed? What is inside? Gas furnace? Electric furnace?

Something fishy if heat pumps are cheaper than straight cool Trane.
    I was thinking the same thing.

To the OP, you get what you pay for.
    The heat pumps are a 1/2 ton smaller. But but they shouldn't cost less then a straight A/C, or atleast not that much.
    If these are 3 different contractors, ask the option 1 contractor for a price on a heat pup system.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

This would be to change out the inside and outside units both, and I have an electric furnace that would be replaced with electric.

The current 2.5 ton system usually doesn't have much problem keeping my house cool in the summer (around 1450 sqr/ft) when charged, but then again in august it may run for 17-20 hours a day to keep the temp in the mid-70s. I'm not sure if that is normal for a 100 degree day or not in TX.

It always has frustrated me that my Jan-Feb bills are higher than July-Aug, due to the heater, so that's one reason that I was considering the HP.

Option 2 & 3 were from the same contractor, Option 1 is from a Trane only contractor.

Is there a big difference in quality/efficiency between the Lennox and Trane systems?

Quote Originally Posted by jaycyn94 View Post
    The current 2.5 ton system usually doesn't have much problem keeping my house cool in the summer (around 1450 sqr/ft) when charged, but then again in august it may run for 17-20 hours a day to keep the temp in the mid-70s. I'm not sure if that is normal for a 100 degree day or not in TX.
    Summer design temp for Dallas: 100; Ft. Worth: 99. Sounds like your 2.5 ton is pretty close to 'right-on'. Are you comfortable?

AM

Yes, the house stays comfortable. It will just run most of the day those days, but I was kinda expecting that.

Whatever you decide, don't use the guy who's been coming back 1 to 2 times a year to charge the system. He should have found and repaired the leak. He's a hack.