I have a Trane dual fuel system which was improperly installed in my new construction. My installer, for all intents and purposes has disappeared (how I'm dealing with that is a story for a different thread though).
Here is what I have
- Trane XL16i heat pump 5 ton
- Trane 120K BTU XL90
- Trane XL16i heat pump 3 ton
- Trane 80K BTU XL90
Last winter my installer got as far as having the gas furnaces hooked up all of the upstairs supply and returns finished however they are inadequate. The downstairs returns are not finished most of the supply ductwork is finished and seems to be adequate. This is the point when my installer disappeared. I was left with the 2 heat pumps not functioning they where set in place the line sets ran bun not hooked up. Winter of 06-07 we ran the gas heat only and it did a pretty good job of keeping the house warm the house is about 4500 sq ft and is very open not having the returns plumbed did not seem to be to big of a problem as the basement is not finished and the door way from the main floor to the basement seemed to be providing enough circulation to keep the house comfortable. At the beginning of summer 07 I hired another local Trane dealer to finish the heat pump install mainly to get the AC working he re-wired the thermostats and had everything working for heat as well as AC. He was not interested in finishing the rest of the job nor would guarantee any work that he did that day. So I now have both heat pumps working and the downstairs system kept the downstairs cool but the upstairs system is completely inadequate in terms of cooling. The Trane dealer thought that the size and number of the supply vents were to small.
This winter is my first winter with my heat pumps and I would like to know if they are operating properly. Here is what I am noticing:
- During Mild temperatures the furnace will run with heat pump and it will kick on and off as necessary.
- During Cold temperatures the furnace will run constantly with the heat pump never shutting off. This really dries the house out. I believe I notice the blower changing speeds at times
- When its really cold the gas furnace kicks in and the blower runs on high and most if not all of the time the heat pump is still running.
Here are my questions.
- Should the heat pump and gas furnace run simultaneously?
- Should my thermostat indicate that it has switched over to GAS (its an aprilaire programmable not sure of the model )?
- Should my System Run all of the time with out kicking off in cold weather?
- For that matter should it run all the time in hot weather (In AC mode)with out kicking off?