Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My best guess is: If he is in Arizona, chances are he probably doesent have heat strips. I know It's not a smart idea, but it tends to happen alot here in Vegas also. with this warm climate we live in, my heat pump does the same thing, if it is just cycling, the temperature is pretty warm. If I turn it up a few degrees and let it run for more than 15 or 20 minutes, the air gets hot. This is with my strips turned off. I have a feeling his thermostat is satisfying before the air coming out has a chance to really heat up. I have a 4 ton unit on my house 1850 sqft. sized more for heavy heat load in the summer, so in the winter when it's 40 degrees or above, this thing really kicks butt. I'm sure his is probably reacting the same way, 5 ton 2220 sqft.

short cycling

My system also short cycled from being oversized. I changed the mercury switch stat out to a braeburn digital stat. What I like about it is you can adjust the temp differential from .5, 1, and 2. So I changed it to 2. Now if set to 70 the heat won't kick in till it drops to 68. I also dropped the speed on my blower because it was so loud. Sometimes you can get away with this, and sometimes you can't, it depends on your system, load, etc. The installer should have set it to the correct speed when it was put in so normally this should not be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by phillbo View Post
    Hi all -

5 year old AC / Heat Pump , unknown age of the Honeywell Thermostat ( can't find a model number on it anywhere). I was told the unit is a 5 ton. House is about 2200 sf.

I'm concerned about the short periods between cycles. If the thermostat is showing a temp of 68* and I bump it up to 70* the unit will run and produce very warm air. Once it reaches the set temp it runs for about 10 minutes but blows air that is not as warm and once it shuts off, it cycles back on after about 5 minutes.

I hope this makes sense. I find myself bumping the temp up a couple degrees, letting it run to get to that temp and then bumping it down a couple degrees so it does not cycle on and off so much and blow cooler air. It's like it is trying to hold the temp exactly as set with no variation.

Do I need to cal someone out to install a newer Thermostat ?
    I think alot of us read this wrong, he says if the stat is showing 68 and he bumps it up to 70, the air is very warm. Once it reaches the set temp it runs for about 10 minutes but doesnt blow as warm. He makes it sound like once it reaches the set temp it blows cooler then shuts off. This is not the case. I think what he means is after it comes back on it runs for ten minutes but air not as warm, shuts off then 5 minutes later back on. Hope I didnt confuse anyone

Quote Originally Posted by JumpSteady View Post
    My system also short cycled from being oversized. I changed the mercury switch stat out to a braeburn digital stat. What I like about it is you can adjust the temp differential from .5, 1, and 2. So I changed it to 2. Now if set to 70 the heat won't kick in till it drops to 68. I also dropped the speed on my blower because it was so loud. Sometimes you can get away with this, and sometimes you can't, it depends on your system, load, etc. The installer should have set it to the correct speed when it was put in so normally this should not be changed.
    I think I'll have my tech look into this approach. It tries to hold the temp right on the set temp with no variation.. I find myself bumping it up 1 deg when it's running and then down 1 deg after it shuts off to prevent the short cycle ( I learned a new term).. I figure it's more economical for it to run a little longer and not cycle back on as soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12