A/C and HRV install quote

Hi, being a total newbie in HVAC, I have to ask for help from pros here.

We bought 2yo house in Denver, CO, which has two furnaces, but no A/C.
    Both furnaces are Carrier, 92% efficient,
    1st: 58MCA120 used for 1st and 2nd floors, 2800sq.ft total, and
    2nd: 58MCA040 used for walkout basement, 1600sq.ft., north-facing, still unfinished.

I got a quote for 2 A/C units installed, $6500, the guy did not perform load calculations, just looked at furnaces and asked square footage of the house.
    He offered York A/C condensers and coils, 5ton for 1st furnace, and 2.5ton with 3ton coils for the 2nd furnace.
    The house has a pre-wired outside panel on the wall where condenser units will go.

For Heat Recovery Ventilator, he offered Honeywell HR200 unit, 200cfm, $3000 installed.

Could someone tell me if the HRV and A/C sizing is correct?

I will be getting more quotes/specs from other HVAC contractors, but they are not in yet, so I have nothing to compare with.

Thanks!
    Last edited by vash68; 02-07-2008 at 01:26 AM.

ACCA Manual J, D and S

Quote Originally Posted by vash68 View Post
    Hi,
    2yo house in Denver, CO, ... no A/C.
    1st: ... 2800sq.ft total, and
    2nd: ... 1600sq.ft., north-facing, still unfinished.

... the guy did not perform load calculations, just looked at furnaces and asked square footage of the house.

He offered York A/C condensers and coils, 5ton for 1st furnace, and 2.5ton with 3ton coils for the 2nd furnace.

For Heat Recovery Ventilator, he offered Honeywell HR200 unit, 200cfm,

Could someone tell me if the HRV and A/C sizing is correct?
    Sure, someone could provide the basis for
    correctly sized units.

That someone would be the person providing the quote. ACCA Manual J calculation should be provided as the basis for correctly sized units prior to the contractor ordering the equipment.
    Request the calcs, if not provided, move on to other contractor.

I can not validate " correctly sized" without knowing all the design parameters. I.E., do you have any windows?
    Shading ? S.H.G.C.? Orientation?
    R-values?
    Ceiling height is 10 feet?
    Ducts are located in conditioned space?

I guess you are located at 6,000 foot elevation?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

First of all, take out your prices. Secondly, keep getting quotes until someone does the load calcs and educates you about there company and the equipment options that are available. When you find that company use them, don't just take the lowest price or else you get the lowest quality with it usually. Also no one here can validate the sizing without actually doing the load calc themselves. All you are going to get is "yup, sounds right" or Nope, sounds way too big/small" Just keep looking and you'll find the right company.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.