Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dryer Information/Help

Can anyone help me find some literature that states that a refrigerant dryer is not absolutely needed but recommended. Also i have heard that the dryer's actual life span last 10 minutes or so, once it is use. After that, it has removed all the moisture it possibly can. Can anyone direct me to more information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
    Can anyone help me find some literature that states that a refrigerant dryer is not absolutely needed but recommended.
    In theory this is true. IF everything is done by the book then a drier shouldn’t be needed. That’s the same theory that stats "a bee can’t fly".

Also i have heard that the dryer's actual life span last 10 minutes or so, once it is use. After that, it has removed all the moisture it possibly can.
    That’s a new one on me.

Can anyone direct me to more information on this?
    http://www.sporlan.com/catchalls.shtm

If a system is clean and dry a drier may not be necessary but also will not hurt anything to be ther. Some manufacturers require them, if your's does then it is required. It is always a good idea and proper technique.

As to only lasting 10 minutes, well.......... That could be so if the system is extremely wet, but highly unlikely. It will be effective until it is saturated. At that time it will exhihbit signs that tells the technician that it needs to be changed. New driers will need to be installed until they quit becoming saturated, then a new one should be left in the system for insurance.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

my co had a presentation in-house by someone from daiken ac on their vrv ductless split systems. he stated that a drier only lasts approximately 8 minutes before it is saturated. i cannot say this is true, i can only say it was stated by this instructor
    Last edited by tjc76; 02-06-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: misspelling

I would have to take exception to his statement. There are too may variables to make such a statement. What if the system is dry, how will it saturate in 8 minutes, or there is moisture in the system but it is less than the capacity of the drier, the drier will absorb it all and still have capacity left. If the system is wet enough, it may saturate in less than 8 or 10 minutes. The time it takes to saturate will vary depending on how much moisture is in the system and the capacity of the drier.

Also, the drier has another purpose, that is to be a filter for any trash that may be circulating in the system. So it is always a good idea to have one.
    Last edited by plain spoken; 02-06-2008 at 06:35 PM.

I completely understand that is is highly reccomended to install one for many reasons. I just need to find published literature that states it is only reccomended and not required. Thanks for all of your help.

I completely understand that is is highly reccomended to install one for many reasons. I just need to find published literature that states it is only reccomended and not required. Thanks for all of your help.
    Highly recomended vs. required is going to be something that is decided by the equipment manufacturer. If you look up the driers on the net they are gonna tell you to put one in EVERY time...hence, selling more driers. As for equipment...some equipment already comes with one installed internally...thus elliminating the need for an external one....one thing to remember....driers should never be used in place of a good dose of nitrogen and a deep vaccum!!
    I need a new signature.....

Again, this depends on the specfic unit and the manufactuer of the unit. There is very little "generic" these days and almost impossible to find blanket statements about installation. Check to see what is called for on the unit in question.

It is simply ridiculous to argue against the virtues of a filter/drier. This is the absolute cheapest and best insurance for the protection of any refrigeration system.

Even the driest refrigerant contains some moisture and the best operating mechanical device is going to wear down and put contaminants into the system over time.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Doesn't Carrier require them?

dryer

from esco universal 410a safety & training pg 36

"An evacuation to 500 microns is usually sufficent to remove moisture from a system using r-22 and mineral oil lubricant.

R-410A Consideration

A 500 micron evacuation, however, will not seperate moisture from Polyolester oil (POE) in r-410a systems. In addition to a 500 micron evacuation, a liquid line filter drier must be installed."

So although it doesn't say it exactly, it kind of implies that you don't have to have a filter drier for r-22. Most r-22 I've seen don't have them but I would want one on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpSteady View Post
    from esco universal 410a safety & training pg 36

"An evacuation to 500 microns is usually sufficent to remove moisture from a system using r-22 and mineral oil lubricant.

R-410A Consideration

A 500 micron evacuation, however, will not seperate moisture from Polyolester oil (POE) in r-410a systems. In addition to a 500 micron evacuation, a liquid line filter drier must be installed."

So although it doesn't say it exactly, it kind of implies that you don't have to have a filter drier for r-22. Most r-22 I've seen don't have them but I would want one on mine.
    Once again for the reading impaired; ALL REFRIGERANT CONTAINS SOME MOISTURE! Why justify not putting in such an inexpensive device that is guaranteed to take care of potential issues?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Not to mention this drier, also is a particulate filter. Perhaps not required all the time, but a terrific insurance policy thats cheap.
    I will recomend one if that helps.
    The drier contains a dessicant that holds X amount of moisture. If moisture level is very low, dessicant will remove any more for years untill its saturated.
    If levels are extreme, it may not last 30 seconds.
    never say never

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast