Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post

Have a carpet free house.

Seriously. That stuff is a dirt, dust, and allergen magnet. I now live in a carpet-free house, and if we don't sweep the floors at least weekly, the dirt visibly accumulates. I could only imagine how much of that goes into a carpet and never gets out, even with good housekeeping, only to sit there and release micron sized particles (the carpet fibers themselves do this constantly).

Between no carpets and no pets, the house I'm in now accumulates dust more slowly than I've seen in carpet filled homes I've lived in.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    As for the carpet, I have removed all of it, now we are using only hardwood and we are putting tile in the bathrooms and utility areas. I do think my sinus problems have gotten better since we got rid of the carpet but I`m not sure that dust is my only problem...I just want to make sure that I`m as comfortable as possible.

I havent done much shopping around as far as the pleated filtering systems go but I think I would probably buy one of the more reputable units. That being said...can I purchase these replacment filters at my local Lowes or will I have to pay through the eye teeth at the HVAC supply house?

I`m just weighing out my options, I might as well spend the money on the new system because the wifey wouldnt let me get away with spending the money on my old cars anyway!!

Quote Originally Posted by dragger40 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    As for the carpet, I have removed all of it, now we are using only hardwood and we are putting tile in the bathrooms and utility areas. I do think my sinus problems have gotten better since we got rid of the carpet but I`m not sure that dust is my only problem...I just want to make sure that I`m as comfortable as possible.

I havent done much shopping around as far as the pleated filtering systems go but I think I would probably buy one of the more reputable units. That being said...can I purchase these replacment filters at my local Lowes or will I have to pay through the eye teeth at the HVAC supply house?

I`m just weighing out my options, I might as well spend the money on the new system because the wifey wouldnt let me get away with spending the money on my old cars anyway!!
    You can buy most any filter on line, some HD and Lowes carry the large filters.

What year is the Road Runner?
    Last edited by second opinion; 02-06-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: ???

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    You can buy most any filter on line, some HD and Lowes carry the large filters.

What year is the Road Runner?
    Thanks again.

I`ve got a "68" Runner. I`ve always wanted one as my Dad and my uncles alway`s had some cool Mopars. Dads 69 Satellite was one of my favorite cars that he had....and he`s had a bunch! When I got the chance to pick this one up a few years ago, I jumped on it.
    I`ve had a several Hot Rods over the years but few with the kind of torque that 440 put`s out! I just found a nice 883 4speed out of a bb 69 Charger, so if I can get the wife to let me get the clutch,bell housing, shifter...etc,etc, then it will just be that much more fun!!

my humble opinion

i'd go with an april air and a sanuvox ultraviolet light. no moving parts, filtration down to 3 microns, three year bulb warranty and a year of performance out of one cartridge. cartridges are very reasonable. cheaper than a years supply of one inch filters.

Quote Originally Posted by dragger40 View Post
    Thanks again.

I`ve got a "68" Runner. I`ve always wanted one as my Dad and my uncles alway`s had some cool Mopars. Dads 69 Satellite was one of my favorite cars that he had....and he`s had a bunch! When I got the chance to pick this one up a few years ago, I jumped on it.
    I`ve had a several Hot Rods over the years but few with the kind of torque that 440 put`s out! I just found a nice 883 4speed out of a bb 69 Charger, so if I can get the wife to let me get the clutch,bell housing, shifter...etc,etc, then it will just be that much more fun!!
    My first car was a 68 383 RR my third car was a 68 426 hemi RR I would love to have them back.

Accuclean

I like my unit. At first I wasn't sure about it, since the media section was full of dust and so were the rest of the filters in the building. But the second month, I noticed the same amount of dust on the honeycomb media, but significantly less dust on the other filters. In fact, I can go two months now on the other filters. There is less dust on horizontal surfaces, too.

As for allergies, I lean toward making sure the humidity is 40 to 49% in the house at all times. We use supplemental dehumidification to do this, and we monitor RH with the Vison Pro T-stats. Dust mites don't do well in low humidity environments.

EEE

Quote Originally Posted by browntigerus View Post
    It is very good. It cleans your house by only ocasionally setting it on fire .

Do a search on CleanEffects....
    I don't recall any fires. Just had a potential for arcing which may cause a fire. AprilAire had the same problem with the 5000. Both companies handled the recall rather quickly and effectively in my opinion. The AccuClean works and you will be happy with it, make sure you explore all options that are available to you then make a decision.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12