Thread: Quiet Condenssate Pump Recommendations for Mr. Slim?

Post Likes

Quiet Condenssate Pump Recommendations for Mr. Slim?

I'm about to purchase a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim AC/Heat Pump for my basement. The indoor unit is an MSZ-A09NA and the outdoor unit is an MUZ-A09NA. The indoor unit will be mounted on an inside wall which means that the condensate will need to be pumped out. The discharge piping will need to go UP approx. 2 or 3 feet (depending on how high it's mounted) and accross 12 feet to reach an external wall.

I've heard that the condensate pumps can be noisy and might be an issue if this scenario was being installed in a bedroom. Our family room is directly over the spot where this pump will be located, so if it is noisy it could be a problem. We also plan to spend a lot of time in the area being cooled by the Mr. Slim, so I'd like to address the noise now rather than later.

Ideally, it would be nice if this unit could be installed on an exterior wall and let gravity drain it out, but that's not possible. I'm looking for a good/highly reliable pump, that is sized to do the job, and is as quiet as possible.

Any recommendations? Are there any pumps you would advise I NOT purchase?

Thank you.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    http://www.aspenpumps.com/mini_aqua.html

http://www.eztrap.com/

Great pumps and almost silent

Cheers

Richard

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboramma View Post
    I'm looking for a good/highly reliable pump, that is sized to do the job, and is as quiet as possible.

Any recommendations? Are there any pumps you would advise I NOT purchase?

Thank you.
    Let your contractor worry about it.

Sooner or later the pump WILL fail. Gravity Drain whenever possible.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the information on the Aspen pumps. They look pretty good. I just heard back from my conractor and he said they use "hartel kt3" pumps. Has anyone used these before? Any opinions pro or con? How do they compare with the Aspen pumps? How noisey are they?

My installation will most likely allow me to conceal the Lineset from the room as I have a workshop on the wall behind where the Mr. Slim will be installed. According to the model selector guided at EZ Trap this type of set up would require the Mini Orange or Mini Aqua units. The guide also warns that this type of set up requires the reservoir be installed inside the evaporator in the open space under the drain pan. They go on to say it "will always be difficult to access it to service the filter". I haven't seen a Mr. Slim up close, so I have no idea how difficult this would be. I'm getting the 9000 BTU Heat Pump model (part numbers in my original post). Will it actually be that difficult to service? I won't be servicing it myself, but I think I should be able to clean the filter to keep it from getting clogged and causing an overflow.

I have the option of having an exposed elbow come off the side of the Mr. Slim which would allow me to install an Mini Lime version of the Aspen pump that is concealed in the elbow and offers the best option for servicing. This installation option would be less appealing because of the exposed ducting in the room, but is it the best way to go?

Any feedback on how difficult the reservoir will be if I conceal it in the pan draing would be greatly appreciated. I also would appreciate any feedback on the hartel kt3 pumps, or any other pumps you would recommend. My contractor will be coming tomorrow to finalized the contract and I want to make sure I'm getting the best pump for my application.

Thank you.
    Last edited by jimboramma; 02-05-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: fix typos

Post Likes
    none of them are real noisy until they get dirty, main thing is to mount them solid so they don't vibrate.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-21-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    hvacjosh

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in