Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Earl View Post
    These two statements seem to contradict each other. I understand if that $500 is coming from an assistance program that she can't put it against the house, but only her fuel costs.

If you are 'doing her a favor' do you think you could find a handyman around to 'do her a favor' and seal a few gaping holes? Maybe you have a friend in insulation that would help out?

It seems that even if you install the new eqp, she is still going to be a few K btu shy, so is it really going to work out like you hope?

Just my 2c
    The Earl
    I agree. There may be need to replace a failing furnace but the real problem with replacing that furnace is the house is so bad you can't find one big enough. When she is spending $500 a month how can she afford not to fix the house? A new furnace probably won't lower that cost much.
    I know you mentioned you are trying to help so maybe you could try to explain the economics to her and perhaps contact the local community action programs if available. There are quite a few resources available to help in these situations.

A 140,000 90% will output more BTU's then a 150,000 80%.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by DGOHVAC View Post
    The unit is 200,000 - 176,000 output.

Ok, I am doing this as a good deed for an elderly woman. She can not afford to improve the envelope. And her old Bryant is about to give out.

I think we are going to go with the 80% York 150,000btu.

She is currently spending about $500.00 monthly in propane and god knows how much in electric... At least the newer furnace will help to reduce some of that cost.
    Is that ~ 170 Gallons propane per month?

Beenthere points to the basics of better equipment selection in his last comment.

One can work the total BTUs required / furnace size backwards
    and correlate with a Manual J calculation / temperature bin data to justify a
    smaller furnace.

It seems that a higher efficiency, less huge furnace would be appropriate given your climate and propane costs.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12