Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replacing HUGH 30 year old Bryant

We're replacing a huge 30 yr. old Bryant it's like 225,000btu.
    The problem is what to replace with.. This is an older 3000sf home. The load calcs say it should have 150,000 but she also needs a higher efficiency. We sell york and armstrong and neither of them come in the high efficiency.

There's not enough room for 2 units...

Anyone know of a higher efficiency 150,000??

Thanks
    Michelle

Do you have gas or oil?

Propane

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    Do you have gas or oil?
    Propane... She's currently spending about $500.00 monthly on gas, so she wants something to save gas.

Not sure who makes a high efficiency gas furnace that puts out that many BTU's. I know Thermopride makes a high BTU gas furnace that's rated around 90%, but not sure if it puts out 150,000. Someone on here will tell you who makes one. I'll look in my book and online to see if I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    Not sure who makes a high efficiency gas furnace that puts out that many BTU's. I know Thermopride makes a high BTU gas furnace that's rated around 90%, but not sure if it puts out 150,000. Someone on here will tell you who makes one. I'll look in my book and online to see if I can help.
    Thanks for looking... I appreciate the ideas!!

Maybe she should spend money on the envelope, then a 125 would suffice. (Or maybe even a 100!)

True. If the house is old and leaky, all those BTU's will be going right outside. And I would love to see that old Bryant.

Biggest 90% I know of, is 140,000 input.

As above, she's better off improving the insulation and infiltration first.
    And then installing the proper size furnace.

If she doesn't want to do that. Your next option is to install 2 furnaces and twin them.
    Done right, she can have 2 stage heat by twinning.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Really needs that much heat huh? Last few monster or twin furnaces we've encountered could easily be replaced by a single large 90. To me, the idea of tightening the house to reduce the loss to what a single furnace can handle makes the most sense. Probably pay for itself in energy savings. But if they'd rather pay for the LP, twin a couple of 90s to get your needed output. I'd stage them.

Sounds like what we call "Old Blue" around here. Twin flue pipes?

Saving energy should start with the building envelope and end with HVAC equipment.

There's no point of installing a 90%+ AFUE furnace when leakage is probably equivalent to leaving two windows open 24/7. Start with the basics.

Correction on unit size / change in plans

The unit is 200,000 - 176,000 output.

Ok, I am doing this as a good deed for an elderly woman.
    She can not afford to improve the envelope. And her old Bryant is about to give out.

I think we are going to go with the 80% York 150,000btu.

She is currently spending about $500.00 monthly in propane and god knows how much in electric... At least the newer furnace will help to reduce some of that cost.

There is not space for 2 units.

Fix the house!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DGOHVAC View Post
    The unit is 200,000 - 176,000 output.

Ok, I am doing this as a good deed for an elderly woman.
    She can not afford to improve the envelope. And her old Bryant is about to give out.
    She is currently spending about $500.00 monthly in propane and god knows how much in electric... At least the newer furnace will help to reduce some of that cost.

These two statements seem to contradict each other. I understand if that $500 is coming from an assistance program that she can't put it against the house, but only her fuel costs.

If you are 'doing her a favor' do you think you could find a handyman around to 'do her a favor' and seal a few gaping holes? Maybe you have a friend in insulation that would help out?

It seems that even if you install the new eqp, she is still going to be a few K btu shy, so is it really going to work out like you hope?

Just my 2c
    The Earl

Quote Originally Posted by DGOHVAC View Post
    We're replacing a huge 30 yr. old Bryant it's like 225,000btu.
    The problem is what to replace with.. This is an older 3000sf home. The load calcs say it should have 150,000 but she also needs a higher efficiency. We sell york and armstrong and neither of them come in the high efficiency.

There's not enough room for 2 units...

Anyone know of a higher efficiency 150,000??

Thanks
    Michelle
    Look into installing 2 units. Do not twin them, however, have them control seperate parts of the home. That way, the lady can apply heat where needed.

That should help nicely with fuel costs. We had a similar instance here. Homeowner had I believe 2 120,000. Spending A LOT of money on fuel. We ripped out her old junk and added a system. And we also removed the gas. She now has 3 heat pumps. (2) 3 tons and a 2 1/2. Shes using a fraction of her electric and no more gas.

And yes, I know your in a colder part of the country. So you don't need to empasize that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast