Thermostat setting question

Hi,

I have a heat pump system with electric auxiliary heat (heat strips). My thermostat is a Robertshaw 300-208. This thermostat can be set to lock out the heat pump whenever the aux. heat is on, or to let both run at the same time. I've set it to lock out the heat pump. My reasoning is that if it's too cold outside for the heat pump to maintain the set temperature without aux. heat, then the heat pump isn't contributing much (if anything) anyway, and it should therefore be switched off while the aux. heat is on to increase the longevity of the compressor.

What do you guys think? Is this a good approach?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    Hi,

I have a heat pump system with electric auxiliary heat (heat strips). My thermostat is a Robertshaw 300-208. This thermostat can be set to lock out the heat pump whenever the aux. heat is on, or to let both run at the same time. I've set it to lock out the heat pump. My reasoning is that if it's too cold outside for the heat pump to maintain the set temperature without aux. heat, then the heat pump isn't contributing much (if anything) anyway, and it should therefore be switched off while the aux. heat is on to increase the longevity of the compressor.

What do you guys think? Is this a good approach?

Thanks!
    We are having a HP put in this week. Here is what I think....

If electric is cheap use it until whatever "balance point" is.
    I understand that electricity is 200-300% effecient. But its a "different" heat. To me if the thermostat is at 72 degrees its gonna be 72 degrees, at the thermostat anyway.

If Im burning propane I don't want the HP on at all, I burn the candle at both ends enough in this world.

Let your heat pump run with heat strips. Electricity is not 200% to 300% efficient, electric resistence heat is 1 watt of heat to 1 watt of electricity, a heat pump is 3 or more watts of heat to 1 watt of electricity. pretty easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by falkenater View Post
    Let your heat pump run with heat strips. Electricity is not 200% to 300% efficient, electric resistence heat is 1 watt of heat to 1 watt of electricity, a heat pump is 3 or more watts of heat to 1 watt of electricity. pretty easy choice.

Aaahh so what in English for me, how effecient is electricity then?
    thanks

If you have electric aux heat, you want the heat pump to run even when the aux heat is on. Other wise, you will have a lot bigger electric bill then you will like.
    The heta pump is designed to run ay cold ouotdoor temps, let it do its job.

At 15* OD temp, the het pump should still be giving you 2 dollars of heat for every dollar it cost you to run.
    The electric resistance heat will give 1 dollar for 1 dollar.

Peg, with a propane furnace as aux heat, you can't have both the HP and furnace heat your house at the same time.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you have electric aux heat, you want the heat pump to run even when the aux heat is on. Other wise, you will have a lot bigger electric bill then you will like.
    The heta pump is designed to run ay cold ouotdoor temps, let it do its job.

At 15* OD temp, the het pump should still be giving you 2 dollars of heat for every dollar it cost you to run.
    The electric resistance heat will give 1 dollar for 1 dollar.

Peg, with a propane furnace as aux heat, you can't have both the HP and furnace heat your house at the same time.
    Fair enough, I am getting so smart it hurts. Not really smarter more enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegsmi98 View Post
    Fair enough, I am getting so smart it hurts. Not really smarter more enlightened.

That's usually a good thing.

Gas backup for a H/P is the way to go for most areas of the country. IMO...
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Thats one thing I could never figure out, If ya got gas"burp" what do you need a heat pump for anyway? I realize the heat pump has it's advantages do to the less drying out like gas heat does, "chapstick anyone?" There are a few dual fuel systems here, more money then brains or did I miss something
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

good info--don't know how many times i anm asked that. I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    Thats one thing I could never figure out, If ya got gas"burp" what do you need a heat pump for anyway? I realize the heat pump has it's advantages do to the less drying out like gas heat does, "chapstick anyone?" There are a few dual fuel systems here, more money then brains or did I miss something
    When it gets down to 0, 15 or lower more than a day or two or a month a year, then it's real nice to have the gas backup. Let that baby kick on and heat the place up quick. That 'ol HP is gonna be running 24 hrs. a day. Elec. is cheaper to run than the gas when it's 40+ alot of the time. No sense running gas when it's 53 outside when a HP does fine. I wouldn't recommend it way down south, you don't need it, which is probably why you don't see many in Houston...

And you are dead on about Liberalism.....
    Last edited by tunnel_rat; 02-05-2008 at 07:58 PM.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Thanks to all who replied. Looks like the consensus is to leave the heat pump running together with the aux. heat.