Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Timer/Thermostat options for church

I'm one of the trustees for my church. One of the problems we have is people forgetting to lower the thermostat when they're done with a room.

We would like the thermostat to be programmable to heat at certain time periods or to go to a set-back temperature but with the option for the user to override temporarily up to a certain time period. The thermostat should also be lockable such that no user can change the settings except to temporarily move it out of setback temp mode. We're open to having a separate mechanical/electronic timer and a thermostat if there's a way to pair them together.

It seems that the Robert-Shaw 300-229 thermostat would meet our needs. Are there any other timer/thermostat manufacturers we should consider?

Thanks.

you need a qualified hvac technician to look at your heating (& a/c system if this applies) system. if you have a packaged heating system, most likely that thermostat will work or a Honeywell "visionpro" thermostat (probably a better option). in any event it should be installed again by a qualified HVAC technician.

The White Rogers 90 Series Blue is a great programmable thermostat with a large touch screen. It has an optional 5 + 2 or 7 day program and also allows temporary overide.

http://comfortplus.white-rodgers.com...Blue_Sheet.pdf

Total line which is distributed by Carrier, has a commercial model that does everything you're looking for. You'll have to have a contractor get it for you, if you're not one yourself. Honeywell, Robert Shaw, and White Rodgers are the other major names in thermostats. I wouldn't install anything else, having tried some others not mentioned with less than acceptable results.

Totaline also makes a programmable lightstat. It can be set up to only run when the lights are on.

I recently installed one of the these thermostats in a church gynasium. The gym has limited use but the church employees dont want to mess with the t-stat everytime there is a function. So when the lights are turned on, it goes into occupied mode and when the lights go out, the stat goes into unoccupied mode. It has seem to work out perfectly for their situation.

But none the less, you should have a qualified technican go over your sytsem and determine what is the appropriate stat for you application. Good Luck

Thanks for the replies/suggestions. At the moment, I'm just doing my homework/research before contacting some companies about our options. It seems that a previous trustee contacted the company that installed our boilers 10 years ago but wasn't given any options for this. Not sure if the tech was incompetent or there was some sort of misunderstanding. I plan to have a dialog with the company and if necessary, will contact some other ones in the area.

It's good to know that this is not a specialized application and that there seems to be a number of choices available.

Depending on the size and the mecanical set up of you church, you might look at a complete controls package for the entire building (Including lights). Most Energy Management Systems have a pretty short payback period.

A nice feature of setback thermostats is that you can have the church comfortable when people show up, and then have the set point change if needed.

I always suggest a 7 day stat for churches.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Quote Originally Posted by jemawalton View Post
    Depending on the size and the mecanical set up of you church, you might look at a complete controls package for the entire building (Including lights). Most Energy Management Systems have a pretty short payback period.

Depending on the size of your building and your congregation. A lagre building definetely BMS. Large congreation ask. It is suprising how often a church will not ask the members for help with the building. If you can find a leader to start a new ministry do. Ask it is a blessing to be able to use your profesional talents for the Lord.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Wink Thermostat info

GTMNTBIKER:

We have a meeting hall on site that can see occupied service every day or lay unused for several days at a time - no particular schedule and a myriad of users who know nothing about HVAC.

I was at a quandry as to how to deal with it, as it is heated by a pair of twinned propane furnaces and fuel is costly - Honeywell makes the T7300 series with a slick remote override sensor that you push a button once, little light comes on and you get an occupied situation for 8 hours, then it reverts to setback mode. I have it set for 55 F unoccupied ( in heating ) and 68 F occupied - the fan runs continually in occupied mode as per the setup.

I mounted the thermostat in the furnace room which is locked, the thing works slick as can be. It is worth a look - talk to your contractor.
    Superheat and subcooling tell it all !

Thanks for all the replies. When you say HVAC technician, do you mean someone who does heating & A/C? In Massachusetts, we have plumbers who will install boilers and heating equipments but I'm guessing that you would not consider them to be HVAC technicians.

The company who installed the A/C equipment at my personal house is currently researching the thermostat/timer options and will get back to me.

Another local plumbing company that does boiler work suggested that I contact an electrician.

Another church trustee spoke with a technician from a heating & A/C company that did the new addition work for the church ten years ago. Apparently he suggested taking one of the current thermostats to an electrical supply house and have them give options.

As you can see, there are different levels of expertise in this area. I think I will look in the phone book for a company that carries Honeywell or Carrier equiment and try them.

what you need is a company that advertises "commercial HVAC"

it will be on all their trucks and advertisement.

you're residential company probably will come close, but you have a commercial application and high enough costs that justify the job being done properly. It could save you thousands in a heating season to have a well-planned control setup

Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    A nice feature of setback thermostats is that you can have the church comfortable when people show up, and then have the set point change if needed.

I always suggest a 7 day stat for churches.
    7 day programmable tstat with 55/85 setback is required by the energy code for any non-residential job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast