Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heat pump make sense for Louisville KY??

Central forced air heat and AC.
    I have gas furnace, 100,000 BTU.
    For Louisville KY Would you replace A/C with Heat pump? ? ??????
    Louisville Avergae Temp: http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Kentucky/Louisville/
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/drivi...nthly/USKY1096
    What SEER???
    IF using a heat pump at what Ambient outside air temp
    would you want it to turn off? Or does it go by temperature in one of the pipes?

Cost of using one vs the other varies with cost of CCF and KWatt/hr
    How many BTU in a CCF?
    How many BTU in a KiloWatt/Hr?
    So then I can compute $$ per BTU for each given EoN/LGE bill
    You get the idea, any other advice about using heat pump would be greatly appreciated,.
    Thank you.

KY sounds like potential HP country. Why don't you get a good local contractor to give you a proposal. I'm sure local expertise trumps opinions on this forum. A good local contractor should be able to answer all these questions and more.

Replace ?

I wouldn't replace the A/C unit with a heatpump unless the A/C unit didn't work. Unless I had the extra cash to blow or whatever fuel your using cost so much it justifies the expense of replacing.

Thumbs up Good advice

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    KY sounds like potential HP country. Why don't you get a good local contractor to give you a proposal. I'm sure local expertise trumps opinions on this forum. A good local contractor should be able to answer all these questions and more.
    I agree. Get a local. Just remember these tips:

Heat Pump means back-up heat (Emergency Heat) Fossil Fuels - your heat goes out, your out of heat.

Heat Pumps use electric. One less bill but not always cheaper. The installation of the equipment is key. Proper installation is worth 10 times as much as saving a few dollars on the bills.

Its an investment, not an expense. Research your options, make a decision from there.

It has beem my experience that people who has natural gas forced furnace complains about the heat being to cool when in heat pump mode. I am not knocking down heat pumps. If you get a heat pump have gas furnace for your back up heat. Others may differ on here but if I ever went heat pump which I won't I would use gas back up. It is just warmer heat. Not sure how natural gas prices are in KY versus electric.

im not a pro but i do live in louisville. i have a heatpump and i love it. i have a 14 seer goodman. you may want to look at this from LG&E

http://www.eon-us.com/rsc/lge/res_heating_costs.asp

I use a heat pump. I'm currently all electric, but my previous home was dual fuel. I live near Louisville. This is a great market for either combination. Heat pump will provide you with some great savings IF it is installed correctly.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Yes. I have several heatpump/gas or oil systems installed north of Cincy Ohio. I would estimate that my system runs the HP about 60% to 70% of the winter.

bernie: I can provide you with ROI (return on investment) figures based on FACTS, not sales promotional literature, as well as operating cost comparisons based on local utilities, i.e. Louisville Gas and Electric. jrbenny can (probably) vouch for me.

all the best, Irish
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Boy, you sure are asking for a lot.

Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

I refer you to my sig line.

p.s. have already corresponded with Bernie.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

depending on how far north in kentucky i was, i might get a dual fuel system!

I’ve put in several of these systems and customer love them. They sense the outside temperature, and switch from heat pump to fossil fuel. There are several types of balance points. I used to do all the calculations, and come up with an economic balance point, but customers usually wanted it changed to the comfort balance point.

If you’re replacing an air conditioner, then go with a heat pump. They aren’t a lot more money, and the payback is great. Get the highest efficiency you can afford, but make sure you get someone who's done them before.

It’s almost impossible to predict exactly how much you’ll save, but it should be significant. You can try using the Penn State Energy Selector. http://energy.cas.psu.edu/energyselector/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast