Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Opinions wanted on best HVAC system

Hi! Would appreciate any advice, we are getting a two-zone HVAC system installed in our 2400 foot, 1910 colonial, we live in New Jersey. The contractor we are leaning toward wants to use a Carrier system--do professionals reading this consider Carrier to be a pretty good system? We would also be having a Carrier furnace installed. Another contractor wants to use an Amana system, but he wants to go with a dampening system and we'd prefer to avoid that, as we hear they require more repairs.

Also, the company wants to install an Aprilaire filter, but I have been reading up on that and it seems like it would be much better to get an air filter (like a Lennox Healthy Climate) over an elecrostatic precipitator, both for the environment and indoor air quality.

Like I said, I would so appreciate your opinions! Thank you.

Ellen

Just curious what models you were quoted both systems. They both have base systems to IMO top of the line Infinity system. Please remember no pricing!
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

Carrier Does Make Good Equipment,but Remember The Equipment Is Only As Good As The Installers.get Recommendations From Friends,so You Can Get What You Pay For!!!!!!!!

Carrier

Is the Carrier 2 units. If not, it will have dampers also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

My quote for the Carrier system

Mjwhvac and others,

The quote was for the Carrier 24APA536 Ozone Sound Puron system (with indoor fan coil FV003), that's 36,000 BTU and SEER of 15. That's for our second and third floor.

For our first floor, we would get the same unit model and the CNPVP4221 cooling coil, 36,000 BTU and SEER of 14.

The furnace is 58MVB120-120, 94% efficiency.

Thanks for any insights! Also, still hoping for advice on the following: The company wants to install an Aprilaire filter, but I have been reading up on that and it seems like it would be much better to get an air filter (like a Lennox Healthy Climate) over an elecrostatic precipitator, both for the environment and indoor air quality.

I can't really comment here. I work for a Trane dealer. I like Trane. But you could get the best system installed by the worst contractor. Or you could get the worst system installed by the best contractor.

No manufacturer is better. They all use the same components. Some test more, Some use different engineering tactics. To make a long story short, research, research, research. You will get a lot of bias opinions here.

In the end, it doesn't matter the name on the side of it, but the contractor that installed it and the experience that you have with them.

All I have ever used is carrier products and carrier zone systems. Zone systems really do not reqire any more repairs. Keep in mind, If you install two furnaces you have two times the chances of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by QMIman View Post
    All I have ever used is carrier products and carrier zone systems. Zone systems really do not reqire any more repairs. Keep in mind, If you install two furnaces you have two times the chances of problems.
    True but on the other hand....One system - if your unit dies, there's nowhere to hide. With 2 systems - downstairs dies, go upstairs and vice versa. Its a personal choice that only you can make.

Very good point............

Hello to you all. I am a long time reader of this site and I beleive this is my second post. I hear one contractor bash this equipment and another bash that equipment. Don't worry so much about the manufacture. You need to know How efficient the equipment is. What models are you looking at. Be sure to compare apples to apples. You don't want to buy a single stage piece of equipment just because the price is better. If one guy bids a two stage then ask the other for comparible equipment. Do you research and when getting bids make sure equipment is comparible from dealer to dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by heatilator View Post
    Hello to you all. I am a long time reader of this site and I beleive this is my second post. I hear one contractor bash this equipment and another bash that equipment. Don't worry so much about the manufacture. You need to know How efficient the equipment is. What models are you looking at. Be sure to compare apples to apples. You don't want to buy a single stage piece of equipment just because the price is better. If one guy bids a two stage then ask the other for comparible equipment. Do you research and when getting bids make sure equipment is comparible from dealer to dealer.
    Efficiency is good but only when proplerly installed. Efficiency improperly installed = big waste of money.

Find your contractor first. Get a good, reliable contractor, then sit down with this contractor and decide on your new system. Remember, its about climate control and comfort, not about price.

I love American standard. (Trane) But maytag is offering 12 years parts, comp, and LABOR!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast