Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Calling all Carrier contractors !!!

I had 2 contractors out to my house for a estimate on possibly replacing my 20yr old TemptStar furnace with a Infinity series furnace, The 96 AFUE. The first guy I had out only stayed in my house for a mere 20 minutes at best and really did not look my existing sytem over and was very reluctant to offer or give freely information on what they will do and what is included with the install !!! I asked him on the phone before he came out to my house about a load calc on my home and how he would size my new furnace and he told me he has never done such a thing..... I think he felt alittle imtimidated from me because I asked hime about that and other issues and questions that I feel he was unprepared to answer and I got the feeling he really didn't know much about his job. I will be getting his estimate sometime next week. The second contractor again a Carrier Dealer or Contractor came to my home I showed him my furnace in my basment we started to talk and he to did not look over my system and shortly after he arrived his cell phone rang and he answered it and about 2 minute after his phone conversation he said he needed to leave because he had a previous appointment of which he forgot about and rushed himself out of the house, but he did have the time to leave me with 3 phamplets of the 3 infinity series furnace's with a rough price of each. I intrun got the feeling his appointment of which he forgot about was more important than the one he had with me !!!! Last night while thinking about those 2 contractors I began to get alittle upset about how they handled themselves and how poor of a job they did in repsect to how they did ther estimating on my needs and so I e-mailed thru the Carrier website and tell them about my displeasure and hwo they did not meet the Carrier expectation that Carrier states on there web site. I am hoping to get a prompt response from Carrier as to why they did what they did during there time in my home, but I also thought I would ask here as to what you guy's do when you go to a person home to give a estimate? And if you were to come to my home what would I expect from you, and what does Carrier expect from you since you represent them at the sametime when your at a person's home ? Based on how the estimate process was, I can only imagine what some of there previous customers have to say...... Although I have yet to check there reference's but I will check all reference's from all contractor's I will be considering to do the install for me. Your thought's ar appriciated.

You're quite right to be upset. They were totally unprofessional IMO. What do we do? Well we set a fixed appointment, need anyone involved in the decision to be present. We do a full load analysis on the home, ask a lot of questions to help determine what the best system will be for the HO's.

There's a lot to choose from out there and the name brand is the least of your concerns. Getting a knowledgable company is probably the toughest part of the puzzle to solve. Bryant dealers can bring you the very same products as Carrier if you're seeking the bells and whistles that they bring to the table. But honestly, if you can't find a dealer you're totallly comfortable with using those brands, I'd got right down the fphone book and ask the same question you asked of the first Carrier dealer. Any dealer who doesn't state he/she does a full load analysis, engineering analysis, Manual 'J' calculation or something similar would be a waste of time meeting. Stick to the one's who do it right and then if you're fortunate enough to get 2 or 3 to choose from, then you can start deciding which equipment you want. I know it's not easy to find a really good company that does it the right way out there. I also know that one that does it right is not likely going to be the least expensive either. But in the long run, they're well worth it!
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I ended up not going with a Carrier product because of the problems associated with finding a qualified dealer. I did find one, but he is 40 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by mlo1 View Post
    I ended up not going with a Carrier product because of the problems associated with finding a qualified dealer. I did find one, but he is 40 miles away.
    Never mind to easy and it's Sunday.
    Last edited by Mr Bill; 02-03-2008 at 01:38 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Well, I am not a Carrier dealer or contractor but I can tell you that it does take one to tell you that you should never allow those two morons back into your home. Keep searching until you find someone who blows your socks off with their; 1 - respect, 2 - commitment, 3 - knowledge and 4 - their willingness to answer all your questions!

Once a year I have local contractors into my home (actually a buddy's home, my system is only 5 years old...lol) to quote me for replacement. It's amazing what a salesman such as myself can learn from this....mostly what not to do!!
    I need a new signature.....

Unhappy I Apologize !

Sir, my name is Ralph Salmo I'm a Carrier/Bryant five star dealear, my family has sold & represented Carrier for over three generations now(60yrs). Please let me take this oppurtunity to apologize on the behalf of those NON-profesional which came into your home for a estimate. I'm very glad you took the initiative to inform Carrier of your very disapointing experiance with there supose dealers. Unfortunatly, sir as in any industry we have a small portion of those individuals that do NOT take pride in there work or value there customers,there time,or there home. The profesionals on this site will be more than happy to help you with any technical question you may have, I
    wish you the best of luck while in the market for a new unit. I hope you would reconsider the Carrier/Bryant brand, we can help you locate in your area a authorized Carrier or Bryant five star dealer.

P.s If I could of only had the chance to service a customer as yourself
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Post your concens on ANGIES LIST.

Coleman dealers would Never act that way.....Coleman dealers have to go through a battery of physchological tests before they are even allowed to see a piece of Coleman equipment. Twilli has been tested and approved to represent Coleman.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Coleman dealers would Never act that way.....Coleman dealers have to go through a battery of psychological tests before they are even allowed to see a piece of Coleman equipment. Twilli has been tested and approved to represent Coleman.
    Yea and I heard there really nice to there Dealers they give them a free system for their Trailer House.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Twilli says yes they does even if your rich and have a double wide
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Never mind to easy and it's Sunday.
    Certainly was Mr. Bill, I agree.

My point, if theres was one, was directed at dealers who sign up to make a living around a certain brand and do not even take it serious enough to be proficient at it.

It was not intended to degrade the Carrier product.

20 year old Tempstar eh?thats outstanding why wouldnt you go back with that brand?

Quote Originally Posted by m-cooling View Post
    20 year old Tempstar eh?thats outstanding why wouldnt you go back with that brand?
    Carrier-Tempstar same thing

i can hear the natives getting restless
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast