Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,077

    Digital Manifolds

    Is the Yellow Jacket the same as the Digi Cool.

    I would like to know.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    Is the Yellow Jacket the same as the Digi Cool.

    I would like to know.
    The color of the face plate is the only difference.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    9,667
    the YJ comes with the Taitin(sp ?) 4 port Manifold and hose (410a capable)

    When You add that all together its a good deal.
    If you help others then you are a Success

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,077
    Okay. Thanks.

    Now. Next Question. There is a lot of banter about the 523 from testo and the digi set about the display not matching the pressure.

    I need to be reassured of this before I buy this.

    I have a 523 right now. I just explained on another thread what I am disapointed with. The temp probe mounting is broke. But most important, the PSI shown on the screen does not match the PSI in the system, when doing refrigeration work.

    When I go to pump a system down, the pressure falls faster than the 523 can display. Which really, if a set can not do that, I can't use it.

    Now. I also hear about this wireless temp probe stuff. What about it?

    Also. Are the dual probes model available with clamp on style probes?

    Also. Will it display vacuum? And can I use it with my vacuum pump and not hurt the sensors?

    Can I use the high and low side and expose the low side to high pressure and will it read the same?

    Does it read out specifically in tenths of a pound? So as a psi drop is happening it reads, 52.4, 52.3, 52.2 ect. The testo, will not. It jumps by a pund and a half. It won't read out exactly. Like this. 52.4 then 51.7. Between those numbers it will not read it.

    I am ready to spend some money. But wanting to be extrmely cautious and be a smart buyer here. Cause the Testo set has been hugely disapointing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    Okay. Thanks.

    Now. Next Question. There is a lot of banter about the 523 from testo and the digi set about the display not matching the pressure.

    I need to be reassured of this before I buy this.

    I have a 523 right now. I just explained on another thread what I am disapointed with. The temp probe mounting is broke. But most important, the PSI shown on the screen does not match the PSI in the system, when doing refrigeration work.

    When I go to pump a system down, the pressure falls faster than the 523 can display. Which really, if a set can not do that, I can't use it.

    Now. I also hear about this wireless temp probe stuff. What about it?

    Also. Are the dual probes model available with clamp on style probes?

    Also. Will it display vacuum? And can I use it with my vacuum pump and not hurt the sensors?

    Can I use the high and low side and expose the low side to high pressure and will it read the same?

    Does it read out specifically in tenths of a pound? So as a psi drop is happening it reads, 52.4, 52.3, 52.2 ect. The testo, will not. It jumps by a pund and a half. It won't read out exactly. Like this. 52.4 then 51.7. Between those numbers it will not read it.

    I am ready to spend some money. But wanting to be extremely cautious and be a smart buyer here. Cause the Testo set has been hugely disapointing.
    Dowadudda,

    Sorry to hear that you are having problems. I may be able to help.

    Have you contacted anyone from Testo?

    Do you have a new or older model 523?

    The temperature probe is warranted for 2 years, and testo will replace it if it is defective.

    Have you nulled the pressure sensors? If they were nulled under pressure, the readings will be off. The pressure transducers are lab accurate. The Testo and the Digicool read identically as far as an actual pressure reading. Several members of this forum have said they track to the 10th of a psi in some cases.

    There is a firmware upgrade for the 523 currently available to increase the the refresh rate on the display by a factor of 3 times. The new firmware takes 1 reading every 70 ms. verses the old one that took 3 readings every 210 ms then averaged them. We were told by several refrigeration techs that the refresh rate was to slow to suit their needs, and removed the averaging function from the firmware. The 523 was intended for a residential service tech working on A/C, but has been used by sever reefer techs, and hence we have modified the firmware to meet their application.

    The 523 can be used for evacuation and it will never hurt the sensors. There is a second firmware upgrade in the works to make it read inhg in a vacuum, available shortly. Again, the 523 was intended for a residential tech, not working in a vacuum. The 560 has a vacuum sensor and will read Microns an inhg.

    The 556 and 560 our refrigeration instruments and are the only RSA's available with duel Pt100 electrically isolated temperature sensors and wireless capability. The wireless sensors can also display RH. Please click on my profile and drop me an e-mail with contact information.

    Thanks

    Jim Bergmann
    HVAC/R Technical Specialist
    Testo Inc.
    JLB,

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southern Ca, Elkton Md
    Posts
    7,572
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    Do you have a new or older model 523? .
    I have the one they sent out after the recall, is that an older one or a new one?



    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    There is a firmware upgrade for the 523 currently available to increase the the refresh rate on the display by a factor of 3 times. The new firmware takes 1 reading every 70 ms. verses the old one that took 3 readings every 210 ms then averaged them. We were told by several refrigeration techs that the refresh rate was to slow to suit their needs, and removed the averaging function from the firmware. The 523 was intended for a residential service tech working on A/C, but has been used by sever reefer techs, and hence we have modified the firmware to meet their application. .
    Is this upgrade free? And how does one obtain an upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    The 523 can be used for evacuation and it will never hurt the sensors. There is a second firmware upgrade in the works to make it read inhg in a vacuum, available shortly. Again, the 523 was intended for a residential tech, not working in a vacuum. The 560 has a vacuum sensor and will read Microns an inhg.


    Thanks

    Jim Bergmann
    HVAC/R Technical Specialist
    Testo Inc.
    Residential techs don't use vacuum? Most techs work in a wide range of aspects of our trade. Purchasing an instrument like this was an idea of using it everyday in the field on whatever equipment I'm working on.

    Jim how do you feel about the hose keeper for the 523?
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

    .1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

    What is your TESP?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    1,204
    We updated the firmware in mid September after the recall. It is not a problem with the instrument, just an upgrade in response to a small number of techs using the 523 for refrigeration applications. The faster refresh speed just an upgrade if you are using it for applications that may require a faster display update like transport. We have customers that like the more stable readings provided by the averaging of the readings.

    The 523 could always read pressure in a vacuum, it is just negative psi (-14.7 psi is a perfect vacuum) Obviously most US techs don't think in this unit of measure. We are changing it. I will post more information on this as it becomes available. (By the way, if you double the -psi reading you will have the approximate inhg reading.)

    The firmware update is normally free while the unit is under warranty. You can contact Jordan at testo for details.

    The hose holder..... We have customers that love it and hate it. We are looking at other solutions. I like the idea of protecting the display, it does hold the hoses. We have forwarded all comments on this to R&D.

    We are listening and making changes, we are here participating on the boards, and we do want every customer happy with the technology, product and features. We value your feedback.

    Thanks

    Jim Bergmann
    JLB,

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,077
    okay okay, this is cool. Jim. You an I talked about this on the phone. I was one of those reefer techs. I couldn;t remember your name. If you can make mine dance, you go for it brother.

    What is nulling the sensors anyway?

    I have the older 523. It's for sure under 2 years old. Where do I send it for repair. You know I can save you a bunch of money, just send me the plastic peice, I can put it on.

    Can you fix mine to read faster? I just used my set this morning. And before I read what you said, I said to heck with and used it while on a vacuum pump. At 623 microns, my set read -13.4 psi. I thought you told me on the phone not to use it with a vacuum pump? Maybe I was wrong.

    So what should I do?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,077
    I will tell you one thing. I whined loud enough and you were johnny on the spot. That plays huge with me.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,921
    Twilli heard the D's whine down here in Ohio
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    1,204
    Dowadudda,
    Click on my name above my post and you can view an e-mail contact in my profile. Drop me an e-mail with a contact number, and I will call you on Monday to get this resolved as quick as humanly possible. Sorry I cannot post the e-mail directly due to forum rules.

    Nulling the sensor is the same a zeroing, only different. Nulling the sensor brings the unit back to its calibration at sea-level. To null the sensor, press the "set" key, then the OK button to null the sensor. I am afraid that you misunderstood me on the vacuum, what I meant was the 523 would not read vacuum in microns or inhg.

    Thanks
    Jim
    Last edited by jim bergmann; 02-02-2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added information on nulling
    JLB,

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Bend, In.
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    I will tell you one thing. I whined loud enough and you were johnny on the spot. That plays huge with me.

    D4, testo will take care of your needs, they did for me a while back on my 435-4 unit. Jim is very efficient at getting things done over there.
    I get to do a bit of everthing, c-stores, resturants, supermarkets, residential, ect. so I am very intrested in seeing the , firmware updates for the display speed and seeing inHg. instead of -psig.. I'll give jordan a call monday to. I've worked with him before, very good and straight forward about what he can do for you.
    So you didn't ask, what you though was a stupid question. Now how, are you going to tell the boss about your stupid screw up?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,077
    update:

    I took my 523 back to the wholesale house and they found out that my set was under recall and they sent my set in. I will be getting a new 523. I am ecstatic about it.

    So. Once I get the new one, all my concerns should be eliminated. I am very anxious to see what this puppy can do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event