Is electrical humming / buzzing in furnace normal?

I just got a carrier furnace installed yesterday. I notice that when the furnace is off (thermostat not prompting for either heat or fan), there is still a moderate buzzing/humming noise. If I switch off the electricity, of course the noise goes out.

I called the installer, and he said that this is just the electrical noise which is present in all systems.... I do not need to worry about it. While the noise is not loud (especially after I close the furnace room door), I still am a little unconvinced that it is normal. Does your furnace make this slight noise in the off cycle as well?

Thanks!

did you have a humidifier installed with the furnace?
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

It's probably the low voltage control transformer. These things can be quite noisy. The one in my air handler is covered with an metal box and the reasonant frequency must be such that it amplifies the normal hum.. A first I thought there was some major problem inside.

I just modified the metal cover by stiffening it to dampen the amplification. Get the installation tech out there and they can probably do something similar.

As long as power is supplied to the unit, the 24v transformer is still energized and will hum a bit. Some more than others...
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Call your installation company back and tell them the noise is not normal and is unacceptable. Yes, you can get noise from transformers, relays, contactors, etc. Pro's hear those things all the time and tend to get desensitized to them. But in fact, they should not normally make noise. Yes, AC current 'vibrates' but I've got at least 12 AC wound transformers and/or relays in my heating/cooling system and I do NOT have any noise from any of them and if I did, I'd change out the offending item to make it quiet. Noise is not normal for these devices, IMO.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Call your installation company back and tell them the noise is not normal and is unacceptable. Yes, you can get noise from transformers, relays, contactors, etc. Pro's hear those things all the time and tend to get desensitized to them. But in fact, they should not normally make noise. Yes, AC current 'vibrates' but I've got at least 12 AC wound transformers and/or relays in my heating/cooling system and I do NOT have any noise from any of them and if I did, I'd change out the offending item to make it quiet. Noise is not normal for these devices, IMO.
    Got to agree with this one! I put 5 to 6 furnaces in a week, they make absolutley NO noise when there is no call. Have your install company come out and make it right.
    I need a new signature.....

I totally agree with having it checked, and I agree it is most likely transformer hum which does happen...BUT IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO LIVE WITH...All that may be required is tightening the mounting screws of the transformer but either way the installing contractor should take a look at it.

A moderate hum to one person is inaudible to the next, and intolerable to another. Transformers do produce a "slight" hum. Some more than others.

It's the transformer. Have them install a piece of rubber between the transformer and whatever it is mounted too. Probably blower housing.

Yes, I have an AprilAire 500M humidifier fitted in there.

Thanks everybody for the responses. Now the challenge is to convince the contractor that noise is not acceptable. When I talked to him initially, he is just making me sound as if I'm too fussy.

Quote Originally Posted by hetrola View Post
    did you have a humidifier installed with the furnace?

Sounds like you picked or got the wrong company. Good luck.

I have changed out noisy transformer without any argument at all at no charge at all if I just installed the system less than a year ago. It would be covered by the warranty. If the customer don't like it ... make it right!