Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    If you have adequate air flow the pleats are OK. Most people DO NOT have adequate air flow.

Have your air flow measured before installing a restrictive air filter like a pleated filter.
    good advise ....... but .............

is there not a differance in air flow when it's in heat mode compared to cool mode?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post
    Using a commercial 4" filter is a good option. Most of these come in a MERV 7. This will give you good filtration, better indoor air quality and will not restrict air flow to any great degree. My tests show that a 4" MERV 7 at 300 fpm gives a pressure drop of 0.10" wg - about the same as a 1" fiberglass filter.

I have never been a fan of 1" fiberglass throwaway filters. Not only are they very inefficient, I have never been convinced that they are safe. The attached is a microscope picture of glass fibers from a fiberglass filter. The top of the picture shows a scale in millimeters. These fiber fragments are certainly small enough to stay in the air for an extended period of time and I for one am not too keen on breathing them.
    Key thing,at 300 fpm,many are at 500 plus fpm.So testing the duct system static and getting the actaual pd of the filter at x fpm,is the way to know If the system can handle the filter.

I can't argue with the logic that the system should be tested. But I don't think this is practical for most home owners. (but it should be a part of every pm contract)

Both the 1" fiberglass filter and the 4" pleat are going to have higher static as the air speed increases. Again they are about the same at 500 fpm. In addition, as the filters get dirty, the static pressure actually increases faster with the fiberglass filter (less surface area).

To be practical this is not the option most homeowners have. They cannot use a 4" filter because their filter box is not set up for it. So again it goes back to system design.

I can't argue with the logic that the system should be tested. But I don't think this is practical for most home owners. (but it should be a part of every pm contract)

Both the 1" fiberglass filter and the 4" pleat are going to have higher static as the air speed increases. Again they are about the same at 500 fpm. In addition, as the filters get dirty, the static pressure actually increases faster with the fiberglass filter (less surface area).

Unfortunately this is not the option most homeowners have. They cannot use a 4" filter because their filter box is not set up for it. So again it goes back to system design.

Quote Originally Posted by printmanjackson View Post
    good advise ....... but .............

is there not a differance in air flow when it's in heat mode compared to cool mode?
    It depends on your system. A gas furnace produces less air flow in heat than in cool most times. A heat pump often uses the same air flows for both heat and cool.

With a standard blower a 1-inch pleated filter will drop 10 to 20 % off your air flow than a fiberglass filter. It will reduce air flow another 10 to 20 % when it gets dirty over the next 90 days.

If you have a variable speed blower and a good duct system, the blower will usually maintain proper air flow over the life of the filter.

With duct mounted pleats, you will do much better on small systems. You will usually need 2 ducted filters in parallel for larger than 3 tons.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    It depends on your system. A gas furnace produces less air flow in heat than in cool most times. A heat pump often uses the same air flows for both heat and cool.

With a standard blower a 1-inch pleated filter will drop 10 to 20 % off your air flow than a fiberglass filter. It will reduce air flow another 10 to 20 % when it gets dirty over the next 90 days.

If you have a variable speed blower and a good duct system, the blower will usually maintain proper air flow over the life of the filter.

With duct mounted pleats, you will do much better on small systems. You will usually need 2 ducted filters in parallel for larger than 3 tons.

So I should be good to go with a 4 ton system?..

I remember seeing a 5" pleated filter advertised somewhere that would fit into a regular return designed for a 1" filter. Does anyone have any knowledge about these? I would think they would work as long as you had enough room behind the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegsmi98 View Post
    So I should be good to go with a 4 ton system?..
    Maybe....

I'm Not familiar with Carrier furnaces but I believe that is a variable speed blower. I would expect the filter pressure drop will be about 0.25 inches WC. That is high but if your ducts are sized properly then your blower should be able to handle it.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

printman
    These filters have a 1 inch "header" on a 4 or 5 inch filter. They fit into drop down filter grills. One is made by Honeywell. Another one is called the Practical Pleat. Both have pretty good stats on lower pressure drop.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    From a fellow homeowner, not an HVAC pro:

I don't like those 99-cent cheap-o blue spun fiberglass filters. They allow too much dirt to pass thru and deposit on the coil.

I use NaturalAire Standard Pleated Filters (MERV 8) made by Flanders. They are not too restrictive. A 3-pack for $7 at HD.

Best to you.
    This is what I use in the winter. I use the fiberglass filters in the heat of the summer. They don't filter as good but I feel like it cools better.

Need Answers?

I have a job that unfortunately thieves target almost nightly, "Job Security". Anyway, someone stole one of my 5 ton Rheem Classic Heat Pump Condensing coils along with all the copper all the way up the outside wall. My company had a 5 ton Payne Condenser setting up from a building that was demod recently, but it's not a heat pump. My ?? is, is it possible for me to run the Payne unit in place of the Rheem even though it's not the same brand, or a heat pump, but they are both over 5yrs old which makes them both 10 seers??

Quote Originally Posted by printmanjackson View Post
    I remember seeing a 5" pleated filter advertised somewhere that would fit into a regular return designed for a 1" filter. Does anyone have any knowledge about these? I would think they would work as long as you had enough room behind the filter.
    Honeywell's Return Air Grill comes in an array of standard sizes, there is some difficulty finding a correct fit with many grilles.
    The Practical Pleat 2" or 5" in depth can be made to any size. The foam 'header' allows for some flexibility at installtion. Sizes can be made to your exact specifications, plus or minus 1/8".
    Last edited by jrbenny; 04-04-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: removed link

Quote Originally Posted by FilterFolks View Post
    Honeywell's Return Air Grill comes in an array of standard sizes, the Practical Pleat 2" or 5" in depth can be made to any size - details available at <link removed>
    You are welcome to post here, but please do not post links to your business site. You may refer someone to the homepage in your profile. However, posting your link on the forums is not allowed.

This is considered forum spam, and it is strictly forbidden.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast