Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Never buy another filter again

I say buy a Trane CleanEffects air filter. More info @ the Trane web site.

Quote Originally Posted by energywise View Post
    I say buy a Trane CleanEffects air filter. More info @ the Trane web site.
    No thanks. I'll stay with my NaturalAire Standard MERV 8 pleated filters.

Not all pleated filters are too restrictive.

I agree with Burnickus and wouldn't use spun fiberglass filters if they were given to me.

I am getting a new system installed as we speak, I am having them put in a 4" filter rack.

Did I gather that this will restrict air flow? In summer/winter?

We live on gravel roads and 1/4 mile from a 5K head feedlot. We have been without any filtration whatsoever for about 3 years so I want as good as I can get without adding the "external filtration" components.

Heres what Im getting:

Carrier 4 Ton 19SEER Heat Pump
    Carrier 80K BTU 58UVB080
    Carrier 4 Ton Coil

If your using anything more restrictive than your wet coil then you are restricting the system. I believe a wet coil would have a rating of around 8. I see absolutely nothing wrong with spun filters....they start out allowing slightly more dust but just as any filter the dirtier it gets the more it filters. You should be routinely inspecting your coil anyways....at least once a year.....every home is different with the amount of dust/debris in the air. Only visual or pressure readings will tell you if your clogging your coil with your filter.

The 4" Media Filters are fine. They are usually have a larger surface area to make up for it being slightly more restrictive. If it was a 4" media filter the same size as your spun fiberglass filter then you'd have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    If your using anything more restrictive than a wet coil then you are restricting the system. I believe a wet coil would have a rating of around 8. I see absolutely nothing wrong with spun filters....they start out allowing slightly more dust but just as any filter the dirtier it gets the more it filters.
    Sorry but what is a wet coil? And what exactly are spun filters?

My filter rack is 16x25x4 and/or may 5". I am planning on using the 4" i think Merv 12 pleated filters, will these restrict enough air flow to affect the system?

Using a commercial 4" filter is a good option. Most of these come in a MERV 7. This will give you good filtration, better indoor air quality and will not restrict air flow to any great degree. My tests show that a 4" MERV 7 at 300 fpm gives a pressure drop of 0.10" wg - about the same as a 1" fiberglass filter.

I have never been a fan of 1" fiberglass throwaway filters. Not only are they very inefficient, I have never been convinced that they are safe. The attached is a microscope picture of glass fibers from a fiberglass filter. The top of the picture shows a scale in millimeters. These fiber fragments are certainly small enough to stay in the air for an extended period of time and I for one am not too keen on breathing them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A 4" MERV 11 would not be too restrictive. Available many places on the internet.

I would be leary of a MERV 12 but would have to see the test results.

Are you also cleaning your infiltration air?

I guess I think of these huge media filters about like I think of the air cleaners.....your home can be as fresh and clean as you wish it to be.....you still have to go outside sometime. If your not also filtering your infiltration air your missing about 25% of the air in the home an hour.

That's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Are you also cleaning your infiltration air?

No not the infiltration air, just when it goes through my filter....

I guess I think of these huge media filters about like I think of the air cleaners.....your home can be as fresh and clean as you wish it to be.....you still have to go outside sometime. If your not also filtering your infiltration air your missing about 25% of the air in the home an hour.

That's my opinion.
    My old system was 1925+- huge round ductwork (i think asbestos taped) that went down underneath my basement floor into the bottom of my furnace where the cheapest POS filter laid, i did what i could for filters when i moved in with limited room

After removing the old return ductwork there were INCHES of crap, dirt, bugs, in the ductwork alone. The space under the floor has corn cobs, dirt, probably some left over coal.

Anyway with two little kids in the house I am tickled to say the least about the new system and new return air ductwork.

No intentions on discouraging your new system they do clean the air up. I hope you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Absolutely wrong about the figerglass filters. Properly fitted and maintained, a cheapo fiberglass filter will keep the HVAC system as clean as it needs to be.
    You are the expert - and I am not questioning this statement. However, I used the cheapo fiberglass filter for 19 years in the heat pump which I just replaced - and six months ago, I had to have the return coil cleaned so I could get air through the system. It had completely shut down air flow, due to the dirt and mud on the coil. I guess 19 years isn't bad for life of a heat pump, so in that regard, the filter did what it was designed to do - however, I am not sure about the quality of the air during the last years - lol. I have been instructed by every contractor I contacted on the new heat pump installation to use the pleated filters. Are they wrong - or just trying to sell filters? One thing they are probably considering is that the "average" homeowner doesn't change the filters on a regular basis, which adds to the problems. I know I always have good intentions of changing filters, but unless I make reminders on my pc or a calendar, I sometimes "forget" to do it.

When the cooling cycle is on, the indoor coil is cooler than room air. This will cause condensation (like on a glass of ice water). The water hangs on the coil tubes and fins and block some of the air flow, hence why a 'wet coil' has extra importance.

The only way to be sure is to measure air flow CFM (cubic feet per minute). A less costly method is measuring static pressure across the fan coil/furnace. If it does not significantly exceed the manufacture's rating, you should be okay.

But as a guess, a 16x25x4 filter should be good for 2 and some 3 ton, but the MERV 12 exceeds some manufacture's recommendation.

But the whole goal of this industry is comfort. If you have alergies like my Mom had, and it helps, keep it or increase the size.

If you have adequate air flow the pleats are OK. Most people DO NOT have adequate air flow.

Have your air flow measured before installing a restrictive air filter like a pleated filter.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast