Question Flower walkin in cooler Help

Hey guys i need some advice on a project. The cooler is a 5 by 9 foot and 9 foot high. I plan on using a 1-2 hp copland and evap unit and adding a humidfier to keep the RH up for the flower. This is a walkin cooler not a display cooler for wedding. Other option is over size the unit or use low velocity system. Which is pricey.
    any info would be helpful. The flower only will be there max of 3 day before the wedding. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kango View Post
    Hey guys i need some advice on a project. The cooler is a 5 by 9 foot and 9 foot high. I plan on using a 1-2 hp copland and evap unit and adding a humidfier to keep the RH up for the flower. This is a walkin cooler not a display cooler for wedding. Other option is over size the unit or use low velocity system. Which is pricey.
    any info would be helpful. The flower only will be there max of 3 day before the wedding. thanks
    Kango,

Flower boxes are typically designed to maintain 38F, with a +30F SST which would give you a 8F TD resulting in about a 90 - 95% RH. Low velocity evaps are used to prevent damage to the flowers but standard evaps can be used if baffles are installed.

I'm not following you on the final job of this cooler, flower box for only 3 days then back to a normal cooler?

Also, depending on the construction of the box, a 1 to 2 hp unit is probably too large for a 5 x 9 x 9. But, more information is required to make a call on the size.

Welcome to Htalk!

You put a humidifier in the walk-in and you might as well plant a guy there as well...........he'll need a torch or a heat gun to keep the coil clear.

Flower boxes are special

I don't remeber exactly how or to what extent, but I remember that something had to be oversized (maybe the system in general) to produce the amount of humidity needed for flowers.

My two suggestions are as follows:

1) Post this in "Refrigeration". These guys can be brutal sometimes but they are probably better equipped to help you.

2) Talk to someone at United Refrigeration or Baker Distributors about sizing the equipment for the box. If they think you are going to buy the equipment for the job from them, they are willing to do this for you. If nothing else, they may be able to explain what has to be done to create the high humidity you need.

Good Luck!!
    All my leon freaked out!

Florist box cooling...

I've had good luck with hi-hum boxes by installing convection coils. A v-shaped drip pan sits below the coil, it'll be large but you have the space at the top.
    Also known as a gravity coil.
    Good for high end pastries before the party, maybe even some beef or venison for aging after the hunt.

Good luck,

D.

Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    You put a humidifier in the walk-in and you might as well plant a guy there as well...........he'll need a torch or a heat gun to keep the coil clear.
    With all due respect thats not true !!
    Outlaw guns? only outlaws will have guns
    Those who live by the sword are SHOT by us who don't.

At Heatcraft's website you'll find a downloadable engineering manual that will help you. With that size box, you might consider a center mount WK model evap. If the CU is indoors, you could save some $$$ by using a Tecumseh or Copeland cu instead of a Heatcraft cu. JMHO- I would not cut corners on the evap coil, but try to cut the cost on the cu. I agree with Powell, you need an 8* TD in order to keep the humidity up.

Flower box evaporator TD.

Larger evaporators are needed to create less of a temperature difference (TD) between the air going into the evaporator and the air coming out of the evaporator. In the case of flower walkin cooler or a meat aging cooler you want to keep your TD as low as possible. Also if you can keep your evaporator above 32 degrees that will also help to keep the product from drying up.

Large evaporators of course add to the expense of the box. On cheap kitchen under counter refrigerators you often see these little evaporators that because they are small they need a larger TD (generally about 15 degrees) to get the box to temperature. This is acceptable because humidity is not a factor in these particular refrigerators.

Good Luck with your project and let us know how you are doing and if we can be of any help.