Thread: Amana AMH95 vs Trane XR90

Post Likes

Amana AMH95 vs Trane XR90

I am considering both of these furnaces for an addition that I am doing. I can get both for just about the same price.

All things being equal (isntallation, etc) Please compare them. I am leaning towards the Trane for the reliabiltiy and name, but I would like to go with the Amana for the extra effiency and the benifits of two stage.

Will the Amana cause me problems or are these furnaces pretty reliable now?

I have the Trane XR90 now, and have had absolutely no problems with it. However, I think it could be more efficient. I also know that it is oversized as well - which is a problem.

Post Likes
    I think both furnaces use the same White Rogers control board, and ignitor technology.

The Amana has a better primary heat exchanger, but I don't know about the secondary exchangers, or how they are connected.(90%+ furnaces are kinda pointless in my area).

The Trane has slightly thicker metal for the cabinet.

Trane usually has a little better blower performance, but not by much.

The finish is similar quality.

Either is a good choice. I prefer 2 stage heat and variable speed blowers, but I'm in a mostly cooling climate with mild winters.

Post Likes
    Two-stage...variable speed

Nuff said!
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymay75 View Post
    I am considering both of these furnaces for an addition that I am doing. I can get both for just about the same price.

All things being equal (isntallation, etc) Please compare them. I am leaning towards the Trane for the reliabiltiy and name, but I would like to go with the Amana for the extra effiency and the benifits of two stage.

Will the Amana cause me problems or are these furnaces pretty reliable now?

I have the Trane XR90 now, and have had absolutely no problems with it. However, I think it could be more efficient. I also know that it is oversized as well - which is a problem.
    you say the unit you have is oversized....how much is it oversized and how much is the load created by the addition? see where i'm goin with this?

Post Likes
    It would help if you compared apples to apples, those 2 furnaces are in seperate classes, you should be comparing the Amana with the xv95. Then it would only depend on the installer's as to who's better.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    From the Amana website:

This furnace is covered by one of the best warranties in the indoor home comfort industry. If the heat exchanger ever fails to the original, registered, homeowner we will provide a new furnace. This furnace also has a 10-Year Parts Limited Warranty on all functional parts. Online registration required within 60 days of installation. For a full description of all warranties applicable to this product, please review the product brochure or click on the warranty link.

So unless resale value of your home is very important AND the installers are equal I'd go with the Amana.

Post Likes
    AMH cannot use 2 stage stat, only uses timer with algorithms. That alone is enough for me to recommend against it anytime. Like the boys say, AMV only. XV95 is a great furnace too and 3 stage version out soon.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmiller02 View Post
    you say the unit you have is oversized....how much is it oversized and how much is the load created by the addition? see where i'm goin with this?
    Thank you for the reply. The existing furnace is oversized for the existing house, but is undersized if it conditioned the Addition as well. Plus, I'd have to get the ductwork over to the addition which would be near impossible.

I had a HVAC Engineer do all the calcs on the house and come up with a recommendation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in