Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    take a vacation .really if your out of the house for a few days and it clears up then your problem is in the house,the white rust on the duct work is from the zinc breaking down normally from getting wet for a long time ,this creates zinc -oxide,inhaling this is bad ask any welder about welding galvanized metal best to have it looked at and corrected, reg service by a good service man to keep everything in good order and it should not happen again you may have to replace the damaged duct if your sensitivity is severe

Post Likes
    I found a very similar substance on some RTU's at a jewelry store where the owner completely shut off power to the units every night, causing very poor humidity control obviously.
    We had it tested, thinking it was mould (mold for you Americans) and the analysis came back as a benign fungus. They said it could cause reactions in some people, but it's generally non-toxic. This stuff was on everything! Ductwork, belts, motors, coils etc.

Vinegar and water took care of it

Post Likes
    We live at Myrtle Beach and now that the heating season is here, we have small white flakes coming out of our registers when the heat comes on in our heat pump system. We had a technician here today from the company which installed the heat pump and heat exchanger Dec. 2014. He determined that the coils in the heat exchanger were aluminum and were oxidized from summer humidity condensing on the coils. The oxide stays there during the cooling season because the coils are always damp, especially this close to the ocean. During the heating season, the air is less humid and the surface of the coils dry out. The moving air then “cleans” the coils and blows aluminum oxide flakes. He said it will lessen as the heat is used more. The coils in older heat pump units are copper and copper does not oxidize like aluminum. He said we could tape dryer cloths over the grills exterior for a little while, if we want. A removable filter could also be put in the duct just above the HVAC unit’s discharge if the problem persisted.

Post Likes
    "We've all seen it before, an old piece of galvanized metal sitting outside where moisture has hit it, and that white stuff forms."

Yup, Almost anytime I find ductwork that has sweated from condensation a white film is left behind.
    I've also never found this harmful.

It appears to me something you have done recently has caused this to happen.
    -Call a professional to inspect the ductwork
    -You've knocked some dust loose, and added moisture when cleaning. The dust clumped together, dried, and has now started to move through the system. Might just go away after a few cycles.

Post Likes
    Double post, sorry.

Post Likes
    syndicated,
    x2. Distilled white vinegar works wonders. I like to use this on concrete basement floors, typically for oil systems. Cleans and neutralizes odors once the vinager has been allowed to dry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12