Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help- Which Hvac Brand Is Best

I am having to replace my HVAC unit. I am receiving different opinions on the many different brands available. What is everyone's opinion on RHEEM, Carrier, Trane, and American Standard? Thanks.

The "best" will be whichever of these brands is sized and installed by the "best" installer. The "brand" of the installer trumps the "brand" of the components anyday!!

It's much harder to get a good installer then it is to get good equipment so that's where you need to put most of your focus.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    There are good,better, and best in each brand,take a look at the better and best.

Look for variable speed indoor fan motor,dehumidification controls,creature features,etc.There are some diferences,but read davfr post again.

Best Brand or Best Installer

I agree. Its easier to find good equipment than a good installer. Go look at some of their installations if possible. There are differences between equipment brands, but not near the differences between the installing contractors out there. Buyer beware!
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

Quote Originally Posted by nhm2008 View Post
    I am having to replace my HVAC unit. I am receiving different opinions on the many different brands available. What is everyone's opinion on RHEEM, Carrier, Trane, and American Standard? Thanks.
    This question has no answer, Ive seen so called "lower brand" units installed correctly run great, I've seen so called "best brand" incorrectly installed and have nothing but problems,
    Get references from the installer and make the right decision (unless it is a friend) from the contractor stand point, this is half of the battle

I would do a search on this site, your exact question has been hashed over 100 times or so.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

Someone posted a long post about how the install is so much more important than the brand. I along with other people said it should be posted for homeowners in the resi section and stay there. Wish I could find it and post it again.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

I agree the install is as important as the brand, however, at least in my area, there can be a big difference in the price of parts between brands. I know around here, Carrier and Bryant parts are costly compared to other brands. That can mean much higher costs for the homeowner who has a system, or needs repairs, not covered under warranty.

Ford, Chevy, or Dodge

Only been on this site for a few days.

To me its the question of Ford, Chevy, or Dodge?

Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light, Corona Light?

My two cents worth is this...

Stay with a big/bigger name brand. Reason in my head, ease of parts and maintanance.

I agree you need a good install, BUT, in my small rural area I believe, if not all the contractors have to do a good job or they would not be in business, in my area only.

Part of my theory behind this is only relevent to the job that needs to be done in my own home. In and out with old and new furnace, rework about 10' of ductwork. Now if the load calcs are done correctly and a little insight goes into planning I cannot see how any of the contractors I have spoken to can screw up.

My now 5 cents worth now...

Quote Originally Posted by Pegsmi98 View Post
    I cannot see how any of the contractors I have spoken to can screw up.

My now 5 cents worth now...
    Never underestimate the ways a contractor can screw up. It can be bad planning, bad attention to detail in installation, bad help, bad luck, etc, etc, etc. HVAC is rather unforgiving work.

Go the the wall of shame and see all the examples of installations gone bad.

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    Never underestimate the ways a contractor can screw up. It can be bad planning, bad attention to detail in installation, bad help, bad luck, etc, etc, etc. HVAC is rather unforgiving work.

Go the the wall of shame and see all the examples of installations gone bad.
    Sweet comment, I do agree, and have met people who can screw up a wet dream!

Where is this wall of shame you speak of?

Whatever I'm selling at the time.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Wall of shame found, Nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast