Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Goodman Freezing Up

Ok, we have a Goodman unit we installed. The unit is a 14 SEER 410a unit. Everything checked out fine. It does have a Variable Speed Airhandler. The problem is the unit will freeze up. We replaced 2 defrost boards in it and then swapped out unit. Still have same problem. It will test into defrost. Yesterday we had a "goodman rep" out and he said everything looked good and had us changeout the T stat wire. I asked the tech why they just didnt ohm out to see if had short. The rep said could be intermitten problem, but all AHU setting were correct as well as charge. Any thoughts.

Goodman rep...hehehe, you need to have a real technician from a reputable company look at the system.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

My thoughts:

1. Read the above post! LOL (Oh and I sell and install Goodman everyday)

2. Wait and see if the stat wire change-out fixes it...even a blind squirrel finds an
    acorn once in a while!
    I need a new signature.....

So, I am just guessing, ... you left the lawn sprinkler system on and it rinses the outdoor unit? :-)

I can't see it being an airhandler problem because if the airflow is to low in heat the head and in turn that suction will be higher along with the coil temperatures...have you seen it a block of ice? was it partially defrosted? did the defrost cycle not last long enough? Checking defrost problems at noon that usually happen at 3am sucks...
    "Overkill is an often underrated achievement", Will Hayden -- Red Jacket Firearms

Angry

Actually, we are one of the largest goodman dealers. We average 30-40 units a month. I thought it was the gutters overflowing and still not convinced otherwise, and even told the service manager to clean them out. But the homeowner said NO,I will clean it out. The first "rep" turned out to be a jr service tech of another company that our goodman rep tried to pass off as a goodman rep........ Another dealer, after our business ,offered to send there rep out, eventhough the unit was purchased elsewere. A wire was hooked up but hollow inside, installed on a board. Like a needle in a haystack. Anyway we might switch distributors. I feel our rep tried to pull one over on us, not good. Also, alot of complaints about compressors making loud noise. Seems to be design flaw on the SSZ units and the dealers have to eat a diffrent defrost board. THAT PISSES ME OFF. I have to dig in MY pocket because Goodman screwed up. Rather then man up to it, it is MY problem. Seriously looking into the York private label program.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Goodman rep...hehehe, you need to have a real technician from a reputable company look at the system.
    Coolwhip said it right. That story is the biggest bunch of bull I've heard in a while.
    rick

Which part is the biggest bunch of bull.

First off, The Goodman system is a lower costing unit. You didn't buy a Trane so you have to expect less quality. I have nothing against Goodmans, they are the best bang for your buck. But Compressor noises are very common in these new R-410A systems. They have a larger charge and a lot of times, moving and adjusting capilary tubes will help with the noises. If the noises continue, have your local contractor come out and replace the compressor just to be safe. You have a warranty for a reason, so use it. Don't complain about a manufacturer, because 9 times out of 10 is the contractor your dealing with, not the manufacturer. Just my thoughts.

And I have not seen Goodman reps. You call Goodman and they will call a local company to go look at your system. Thats how the world works, You can't expect Goodman to have a rep for every complaint. They don't have the manpower nor is anyone willing to spend 22 hours a day running around dealing with complainers.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    moving and adjusting capillary tubes will help with the noises. If the noises continue, have your local contractor come out and replace the compressor just to be safe.

Ah thats a breath of fresh air.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    First off, The Goodman system is a lower costing unit. You didn't buy a Trane so you have to expect less quality. I have nothing against Goodmans, they are the best bang for your buck. But Compressor noises are very common in these new R-410A systems. They have a larger charge and a lot of times, moving and adjusting capilary tubes will help with the noises. If the noises continue, have your local contractor come out and replace the compressor just to be safe. You have a warranty for a reason, so use it. Don't complain about a manufacturer, because 9 times out of 10 is the contractor your dealing with, not the manufacturer. Just my thoughts.

And I have not seen Goodman reps. You call Goodman and they will call a local company to go look at your system. Thats how the world works, You can't expect Goodman to have a rep for every complaint. They don't have the manpower nor is anyone willing to spend 22 hours a day running around dealing with complainers.

Yeah, just buy a Trane....no need for anyone skilled to install them either....hell, you can buy them at the Depot and do it yourself. And as far as moving capilary tubes...that will void a warranty faster than you can say, "subcooling". If the unit is louder than you would like, have the installing company out to install a compressor blanket. They will help with the sound and not hurt anything.
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by rideon1200 View Post
    Which part is the biggest bunch of bull.
    The "bull" part is the Goodman Rep. It is implied that the Rep does not know enough about HVAC to address the issue intelligently.

Let me rephrase, it was taken out of context. When I mean move capillary tubes, I mean readjusting, not removing. I say that because sometimes a homeowner thinks their compressor is noisy when in fact it is the capillary tubes rubbing against the cabinet or other components during operation. And a simple adjustment can remove some unwanted noise.

As far as the Goodman, they are loud. Compressor blankets are good but cause problems down the road.

Have the system checked. We can all sit here and say its this and that but the truth is we can't hear it. A noise is a noise. It needs to be addressed by a tech there to determine the actual cause of the noise and the correct solution to the problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast