+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You've got to be kidding!

Post Likes

Red Tag

Here in CO we are required to fill out a "Red Tag" form and submit it to the regional bldg. dept. and shut down the unit. After we leave if they turn it back on it is on them, and certainly some do have the unit turned back on but within 24 hours of the rbd getting a hold of the red tag forms they are climbing up that customers backside and an inspector goes out to see if the unit is still off. and until it is repaired they are just relentless. So at least there is somewhat of a follow up, usually our company would do the replacement immediately and rbd would see the permit pulled and no problem when it was as obvious as the damage in your photos, but then there are the other ones that go and get the other bids and have companies come in to dispute what we found and documented with photos. We usually didnt want those jobs, always complainers, never happy. To bad that isnt the case every where. some kind of cya for the hvac guy. good luck.

Post Likes
    Went back to the store in Fayetteville and took some more pics. They were turned back on but I didn't shut them back off. Mgr didn't know I was there.
    Boss agreed with me that we weren't the last ones to touch them and it's there liability now. I do think we need to carry locks and red tags though. That's 6 units that we are not making money on.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    Went back to the store in Fayetteville and took some more pics. They were turned back on but I didn't shut them back off. Mgr didn't know I was there.
    Boss agreed with me that we weren't the last ones to touch them and it's there liability now. I do think we need to carry locks and red tags though. That's 6 units that we are not making money on.
    I cannot believe people will risk their own lives or the lives of others cause they are too cheap to properly fix these units. The last pictures you took are nothing compaired to the first view. I still can't believe this thing even runs.

Post Likes
    /
    Last edited by markt; 02-09-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: decided not to post response

Post Likes

Update

Went back to the other store and the HX's were replaced and other repairs made.

Just don't understand why we get the service calls and someone else gets to do the repairs.

BTW, this time it was for a roof leak.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=chaard;1824265]Just don't understand why we get the service calls and someone else gets to do the repairs.QUOTE]

Because the guy is cheap and you're the guy who can find all the problems.

Post Likes
    Because you wanted to shut him down, which wouold cost him money in lost sales.

Right or wrong, thats the way it is.

Post Likes
    I don't take kindly to scare tactics. I did shut it off, told the store mgr. and my boss. What ever happens from there on out is not my responsiblity. And I don't need anyone telling me I could lose everything over a something the customer doesn't want to address. It's not my problem! Stop trying to blow smoke up my a**.

why so defensive? They are trying to help you out. Ya know, we are all in this trade to make a buck, provide for the family, yada yada yada. Nobody knows it all.......well, some think they do.......... but most just want to do a good job and go home safely. These guys are/were just giving you a bit of constructive criticism based on their field experiences........you might want to re-consider what they are telling you.....and good luck on the witness stand when the slick lawyer in his $2000 suit makes you look like a fool......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by backwash View Post
    I'm not sure how the law works where you are from, but here in Ontario I would lose my license or worse if that unit was restarted and some one got sick and/or died. It is my ticket # that is on the infraction notice and my personal responsiblity. Not my boss, not the customer, mine. I would have disabled the piping to the system, shut-down the unit, notified the customer and the utility provider. If another company fired the unit I would notify the regulatory body here and they would immediately send an inspector out.

This guy isn't trying to scare you, he's trying to help.

Uhh. No you wouldn't. Not if you took the proper steps. It is your responsibility (assuming you have at least your G2) to shut off the gas (and gas ONLY) in case of an immediate hazaard and inform the gas company and homeowner. No where does it say in the B149 that you are responsible for a system that has been shut off. Someone is trying to scare YOU. Read the green pages at the front of the codebook.
    The B149 does not allow you to disable the system in any way.
    If you feel I am incorrect, that is fine but I would like the code reference.
    If at first you don't succeed; charge, charge, charge again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeylikesit View Post
    why so defensive? They are trying to help you out. Ya know, we are all in this trade to make a buck, provide for the family, yada yada yada. Nobody knows it all.......well, some think they do.......... but most just want to do a good job and go home safely. These guys are/were just giving you a bit of constructive criticism based on their field experiences........you might want to re-consider what they are telling you.....and good luck on the witness stand when the slick lawyer in his $2000 suit makes you look like a fool......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mech_head View Post
    Uhh. No you wouldn't. Not if you took the proper steps. It is your responsibility (assuming you have at least your G2) to shut off the gas (and gas ONLY) in case of an immediate hazaard and inform the gas company and homeowner. No where does it say in the B149 that you are responsible for a system that has been shut off. Someone is trying to scare YOU. Read the green pages at the front of the codebook.
    The B149 does not allow you to disable the system in any way.
    If you feel I am incorrect, that is fine but I would like the code reference.
    Thats just the way we do it here, gas off and only the gas since we don't own the appliance we have no right to disable it. The equipment owner can turn it back on if they want to but we get a signature on the paperwork stating that they understand the hazzard that they could be facing and take responsibility.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Yup, except we have actual red tags that explain all that. I think they are blue now actually...
    If at first you don't succeed; charge, charge, charge again.

Post Likes
    you did your part if you documented it on your service ticket. that is a legal document in court . i am told to disable the unit , by shutting off gas and power. i also cut low voltage to heat . i let customer take it from their.

Post Likes
    If you did that here in Alberta you would be liable for anything that happens to anyone and for what. That is the purest form of stupidity and ignorance on his/her part.

Post Likes

Hey buddy, its YOUR (smoke filled?) Keester on the line.......not mine. YOU made the post, which implies that YOU want some feedback.......

well you got some. Goodnight, and have a pleasant tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeylikesit View Post
    Hey buddy, its YOUR (smoke filled?) Keester on the line.......not mine. YOU made the post, which implies that YOU want some feedback.......

well you got some. Goodnight, and have a pleasant tomorrow.
    Goodnight Mikey. Don't let the bedbugs bite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in