Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expansion Tank

Expansion Tank

Where do you install the expansion tank , in the return or supply side of the boiler. I am an apprentice and install boilers with my boss. I was taught that they go in the return side but he says the supply. He's the boss so I do what he tells me and dont argue.

Before the circulator.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

So, if the circulator is in the return just before the boiler the tank should be before the circulator. We install them on the outlet of the boiler on the supply and install the circulator just before the boiler on the return .. Boss tells me it doesnt matter where it goes.

look into pump away very interesting and works great
    use to put the tank on the suppy side if the pump is on the return like yours are. With pump away and air scoop i drop it out the bottom of the scoop at the neautral point of the system. This is the best place.

i also was taught never on the return side near the pump because it is the most negative point. If memorie serves right the dirrections with the tank tell you not near the return side oh the pump.

Tank before the circ is the neutral point. Point of no pressure change.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    look into pump away very interesting and works great
    use to put the tank on the suppy side if the pump is on the return like yours are. With pump away and air scoop i drop it out the bottom of the scoop at the neautral point of the system. This is the best place.
    This is how our company does it too- Love pump away systems!!

Been I will have to look into that a little more. Since i was 12 i have been told on the supply side but doesnt mean i was told right.

Pump away IMO is the way to go easy and works

In the old days, they were afraid the circ would draw out water and air from the old tanks.

With bladder tanks, there is no air to draw out.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    In the old days, they were afraid the circ would draw out water and air from the old tanks.

With bladder tanks, there is no air to draw out.
    Sorry been, got to date you on that one. In the old days they put the tank where it was most convenient for piping. There were not circulators so it didn't matter where the tank was plugged in. Open top expansion tanks in the attic with an overflow piped from the side of the tank near the top and that pipe went all the way to the basement. When your feet got wet, the tank was properly filled. Some others went into the attic with a gauge glass on it, same as the gg on a steam boiler. Dial ahead a few generations and with the advent of electricity, on came the circulators. Installers got lazy and began putting the closed expansion tanks in the basement, generally on the ceiling but sometimes on he floor vertically. Either way, the main purpose was to absorb water expansion/contraction cycles. Circs were put on the returns, just because I reckon. Last 10-years or so all the engineers say put the circ near the expansion tank, pumping away and also to put the autofill valve in a tee just above the xt. Personally, I never put the autofill at that location as when it's time to purge a loop at 1AM, all you get is cold water from the autofill. I like to get HOT water around the loop and know it's working properly and I definitely do NOT want to wait around after purging to see if it's going to work. So all our jobs the autofill is piped to the bottom of the boiler so the heat of the water doesn't conduct to the spring and diaphragm in the valve but when we purge, we're going through the boiler and get good, hot water.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

LOL.

Since I said about the circ drawing the air out. I wasn't refering to the "OLD days" just the old days.

I still see open systems around town. Not too many anymore. But its great when your on one and have a newb with and tell them to drain the expansion tank and they can't find it.

Yep, an old timer did that to me when I was a pup.
    Contractor locator map

i like when you tell the kid to drain the over head tank and kinda show him how

after about a gallon of water and no air bleed on it they think it is done because no water is coming out.

great watching them keep raise the hose up to let air in so the water drains out for an hour

LOL.

Gotta have some fun while working.
    Contractor locator map

Hey, how about the ones that don't have a valve going into the tank, just union?? Or the ones with just a gate valve and no air vent at all? Gotta drain those puppies through the boiler drain and vent through the tank drain!! I always tell my guys, if you know how the system works when it's perfect and you know how hydronics works, you can think you way out of a lot of issues.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast