Post Likes

Reliable Controller

I ran into this controller the other day. Is anyone familiar with these? Can you access this with just a browser? It has a small BACnet ms/tp network wired to it controlling a few other Reliable controllers. Just wondering if it's similar to a Jace

http://i.imgur.com/Tle6gAZ.jpg

Post Likes
    Negitive.

Its can be a MSTP router, RC comms router, and/or can have I/O modules tied to. No web pages. The Mach pro webcomm (yes totally retarded naming) does have web pages.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Dang, I don't remember seeing a Mach pro webcomm. This system is controlling a few air handlers and some fin tube radiation. I put in a PCG controller to control the boilers before this system was installed. I told the customer that it's possible to tie in the boiler controller with the rest of the system since they're both ms/tp. I just don't know where to begin on the Reliable side of things.

Post Likes
    They probably have a copy of RC Studio running on a PC somewhere. If they are using bacnet to talk to everything, then it should be easy enough to pull it in. Not a fan of studio and use tbox for all the graphics when using Reliable. Won't be of much help there.

In a nutshell if web is in the name, it has webpages.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info orion. I'm going to see if I can take a look at the user interface with the customer the next time I'm over there. I hope there is a Jace in the building but I didn't see one. I have to go over there sometime next week to replace the outdoor air sensor that's wired to the controller that I installed. I'll post again next week with what I find. Thanks again

Post Likes
    The new N4 Jace 8005 cost around a grand to control 5 units. Cost wise, it would be a cheaper front end solution.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    Just for the software, sure. Total installed, I don't think so. Feature comparison, none really.

Copying anything in that system is a royal PITA. Need to move I/O around to reuse a program....give me 12' of cat5 and something solid to hang the noose on.
    Last edited by orion242; 10-21-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Post Likes
    orion242,

What are your reasons for using Tridium as a front end on a single system? I understand there benefit as a front end for bringing in multiple systems to a common front end, but do not see the reasoning behind using it over the front end designed for a single system. What added benefits does it provide the end user and contractor?

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Post Likes
    How many single systems do you do anymore? If there is a VFD, we communicate with it to pull the energy data from it. We are starting to use Belimo energy valves more and more, so even my damn valves are communicating these days. In the last 12 months, I don't have any that didn't have 3rd party devices. Normally it’s all bacnet, but it’s still a royal PITA to deal with non-RC devices with studio.

How long is going to take you to deal with a dozen drives in RCS?

Tridium, I open my master station, find the brand VFD I need from our library…. Copy, paste special, 12 copies, keep all links. Setup the addresses in one spot per drive and I’m done with all the graphics, energy reporting, data logs, alarms, etc. In the time it took you read this, I’m done. Let me sprinkle in some energy valves…same thing less than a minute I can easily dump a dozen in.

We have multiple lines we deal with internally. There is no business case to cross train our guys with multiple frontends when I can use a common one.

We have a large library of graphics setup already in tridium. All our end devices have standard programs that will knit right up with this. Don’t matter the brand, they all have the same points and suck right in without having to start all over with each project. Alarms, logs, and graphics all done “easy peasy” and with a fraction the labor it takes me in RCS. RCS seems designed to make having a “standard” library an extreme headache.

Factor in the Jace can also easily handle 4 MSTP trunks, it’s replacing hardware I would otherwise be purchasing as well. No PC required either.

RC hardware is powerful, fast, awesome bacnet support, love it. Studio is a pile and I hate working with it. If they get their software brought up to date, it would be a massive improvement to the line.

I have RC3 as well and just starting to put together projects with that. Having a real hard time seeing why a facelift and handful of new features took so damn long. Requiring flash, just as bad as java.

Tridium is a beast, it’s complicated, etc. Can’t have simple & flexible though. Once you understand how to use it effectively, you realize there is more to it than just the sticker price. Its the time saving swiss army knife of DDC and customer's like the fact multiple contractors can work on it.
    Last edited by orion242; 10-22-2016 at 11:54 AM.

10. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the detailed response, enlightened me on some aspects of a Tridium system.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Post Likes
    Its mainly having a standard library, laying out systems to maximize its use, and the tools that make this easy.

Less labor, fewer call backs, standard look & feel, consistent results sales & customers can count on.

Post Likes
    Well that's pretty much summed it up perfectly.
    Future searches should redirect here, and let's toast the end (well beginning of the end) of repetitive graphic 'engineering'
    The DDC system... guilty until proven innocent