Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Thats ok we still love ya there is lots of things I can't explain.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    You are what the rest of us can't explain.

Why the hell a good looking woman would hone in on you when I was standing right next to you is beyond my comprehension
    Now see this is one thing I can explain.
    Last edited by Mr Bill; 02-05-2008 at 02:53 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I think your supply ducts are alittle small for 4 tons.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by TLY View Post
    The return drop goes up and terminates into a 10'' x 20'' and goes two directions.

The supply branches in three directions: 10'' x 13.5'', 8'' x 14', and 8'' x 8''.

TLY
    My concern is not the size of the ducting but rather where it enters the furnace.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I have scheduled someone outside of my builder and his subcontractors to give our HVAC systems an independent evaluation and to look at the things mentioned in this thread. Thanks everyone for your input, it has been most helpful.

TLY

Back to the original question...

Odds are, a second look a the system when it was close to production probably found a prvious caclulation error that led to the 4 ton unit only producing 45,000 btuh's. The quick easy way to boost that to a respectable 47,000 without a total redesign would be to increase the suction line. It's an easy spec sheet change. They found it worked and now they are closer to nominal. This is likely why the spec for the line set was changed. Bottom line is, if you can cool your house with 45,000, then use the 7/8 if it's an option in the spec.

It's no different than another mfg suggesting the use of a time delay to acheive a higher SEER, they know it wont be done anyway.

I like the idea of switching to a R410A unit that still gets the full capacity with the 7/8ths if that's the case.

My bet still holds that the piston in the indoor coil is too large for that system. I'll also bet that the blower is set up too high even if it is fighting to provide the amount of air it should because of improper return and filtration.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910