Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Philly steak samich.

Can you guys post the process of making a true Philly Steak sandwich ?

2 lbs of bacon grease, cheese and a bun...oh and some onions too.

Slice a rib eye steak like lunchmeat, into 1/8" slices or so.

Slice up some sweet onions and green peppers

On a flat iron grill, saute everything quickly on high, have some split hoagie buns toasting alongside

Salt & pepper everything, dress the hoagie with the medium rare steak, top it with charred onions & peppers, ladle cheeze wiz over everything and slap the hoagie closed, wrap it up in paper to catch the grease.

Crack open a rolling rock, pour it into a frosted mug, turn on the sporting event of your choice on the big screen, and recharge your man card.

HeyBobs got the 411 on this.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    ladle cheeze wiz over everything.
    Are you serious ? I thought it would be like provalone or something. I like squirting cheese whiz in my mouth right out of the can.

Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    Slice a rib eye steak like lunchmeat, into 1/8" slices or so.

Slice up some sweet onions and green peppers

On a flat iron grill, saute everything quickly on high, have some split hoagie buns toasting alongside

Salt & pepper everything, dress the hoagie with the medium rare steak, top it with charred onions & peppers, ladle cheeze wiz over everything and slap the hoagie closed, wrap it up in paper to catch the grease.

Crack open a rolling rock, pour it into a frosted mug, turn on the sporting event of your choice on the big screen, and recharge your man card.
    I was with ya up until the cheese-whiz part.

Deli-American or mild shredded cheddar would work much better here. Some people like provelone, but I don't think that it is as good as what I've mentioned for this particular purpose.

When using "real" cheese you'll want to place the shreds or slices over the steak for the last minute of grilling so it melts.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

I am originally from South Philly.

The only reason they use Cheese Wiz is to make more money as it is much less expensive than real cheese.

Green peppers are usually not used.

You are missing the good Italian bread, which makes or breaks the sandwich.

"Forged Alloy" gave great advice, except for the Rolling Rock. I prefer Yuengling Lager or Molson.

Take care.

Wiz is what comes on a "real" steak from Philly, you can put what ever kind of cheese you like on yours, but then it's not a "real" one.

Oh, and it might sound gross, but I think you'll see why it's used when you try it .
    Ed J

I live outside Philly and try to get down to Pat's at least once a month. Don't laugh at the Whiz...until you have had it. To me...what makes or breaks the sandwich is the bread...Sarcones bread...used by Pat's is the best in my opinion.

Pats used to have it on their site. Their site is partially down for reconstruction. It's Pats King of Steaks!

Keep checking back. There was a thread a long time ago, I had OSR go to a place I knew in Harrisburg and UPS me 8 cheese steaks!

Great eating............I took Coolwhip there on one of our wild road trips........LOL

So the bread is the key to an outstanding sandwich. What other seasoning is to be put on the ribeye slices ? Is it bad manners to use horseradish as a condiment ? You all have made me hungry so tomorrow will be cheese steak day after church
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    So the bread is the key to an outstanding sandwich. What other seasoning is to be put on the ribeye slices ? Is it bad manners to use horseradish as a condiment ? You all have made me hungry so tomorrow will be cheese steak day after church

You need really good Italian Rolls, I seriously doubt you will find them anywhere in Missouri!

Have a italian family owned bakery that is open before mass on Sunday. I'd a never thought it either. lol. It's the most popular spot around for donuts , bread and pastries. Hope all is well in Howell
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast