Thread: Double Filters

Double Filters

I have a pleated 5" PerfectFit media filter installed on my Trane A/H. Do I keep the filters installed in the return grills or do I remove them. They are your basic 2" filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post
    I have a pleated 5" PerfectFit media filter installed on my Trane A/H. Do I keep the filters installed in the return grills or do I remove them. They are your basic 2" filter.
    Remove one or the other you do not want both in the system at the same time.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Keeping both is fine ,IF the ducts are sized for it,which is Unlikely so without testing the ducts,I'd remove one or the other,likely the ones at the grilles.

If the duct system was designed for the ones at the grilles,and they have more area(sq in of openings),then the new one at the equipment,the new one may be too restrictive for minimum air flow,really should be tested.We never sell "better" filters without teting first.

We have several customers that top of the line filters at the equipment and want to keep the return ducts clean,so the ducts were designed or rework to allow both locations to have filters.The ones at the grilles,will keep the media filter clean longer.

You need a high static motor kit to make that work...I can't imagine duct design that will overcome 7" worth of pleated filters...
    "Overkill is an often underrated achievement", Will Hayden -- Red Jacket Firearms

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrdworkingacguy View Post
    You need a high static motor kit to make that work...I can't imagine duct design that will overcome 7" worth of pleated filters...
    Her's some pictures of one with double filters and ,duct designed for low static.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=156408