Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryant 265 vs Trane XR14

Post Likes

Bryant 265 vs Trane XR14

I'm in the market for a Heat Pump and have settled on either the Bryant 265A or the Trane XR14.

The Bryant 265A SEER = 16 HSPF = 9.3 DBA = 68 vs. Trane XR14 SEER = 14 HSPF = 8.9 DBA = 76. My house is 2425 and I believe the each unit is sufficient.

It appears that the Bryant 265A is the more efficient unit but I'm not sure that it's worth the extra $1157.08. I feel like both dealers will do a good job with the install so based soley upon the units themselves, can someone give me any feedback on which model I should go with?
    Last edited by quemar; 01-23-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: To Remove Pricing

Post Likes

Confused Huh?

No pricing!!! The comparison is incomplete w/o indoor units. It's Hard To Stop A TRANE

Post Likes

Confused Oops!!

Sorry about the pricing, this is my first time at this so bare with me. The indoor unit is a Carrier model 58STA/STX which is a single stage induced-combustion 4-way multipoise furnace. It currently runs off of propane which is killing me, thus the heat pump.

Post Likes
    We've installed both Bryant and Trane. IMO, Bryant is the better product at this time. You'll get what you pay for.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    First off, that Trane ain't getting any 14 SEER with a Carrier standard blower. You would need a matching Trane variable speed indoor unit and even then you may not get 14 SEER and certainly not 8.9 HSPF.

Same with the Bryant but even more critical to have variable speed indoors since it is a 2 stage outdoor unit. If you do try to use it with standard blower, they'd have to juryrig blower speeds and again you'd be far from the SEER you expect.

Hard to get past 13 SEER with standard blowers. Virtually impossible with Trane, others can be easier.

http://www.aridirectory.org/ari/hp.php

Post Likes

Hmm Additional Info

Thanks BaldLoonie, I appreciate the feedback; however as I continue to learn more on this forum, your post helped me to discover that the coil box of my indoor unit is currently empty (no coils) so the install for both units includes new coils that match the outdoor unit that I decide to go with. Does that change things a bit or am I totally confused?

Post Likes
    Once you get much above 13 SEER, in order to get the rated efficiency, you have to have the matched indoor unit, furnace or air handler. The X13 or variable speed blower motors use so much less electricity, the system takes that into consideration when giving a SEER. The XR14 will not get above 13 with your current blower. The Bryant may get a little better but not much and you won't get the advantages of that unit with standard blower.

Post Likes

Hmm

So should I be looking at 13 SEER units only?

Post Likes
    In Trane, probably so. Only advantage to 14 SEER is most sizes have scroll compressors, which is current technology. Most 13 SEER units have the old recip compressors. Trane has a problem you might want to consider, low heating output compared to what you'd expect. For the most part, their heat pumps put out about 1/2 ton less than the model # would lead you to believe and this problem is worse in dual fuel. A "036" which you'd expect to be a 3 ton may put out only 30,000-31,000 BTU where most brands would be close to 36,000 BTU.

There are other brands that can get 14 SEER with your existing furnace and can give you the full capacity which means warmer air and lower costs.

Post Likes
    What is the model number of the trane equipment?
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Post Likes
    XR14 / Model # 4TWR4042C.

Post Likes

Confused Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    We've installed both Bryant and Trane. IMO, Bryant is the better product at this time. You'll get what you pay for.
    Why at this time is the Bryant better? Is it the All-Aluminum Spine-Fin coil? (oops, that's TRANE ) or is it the orange compressor that has the RotoLok fittings for easy changeouts if needed? (oops, TRANE again ) or the baked on powderpaint & Duratuf base pan, both rust resistant? (darn..that is TRANE) ) Ask about the SEET Lab in Tyler, TX and then do some comparisons. Bryant might have a better profit margin for contractors, but better product IMHO, not at all. Whatever it takes..... It's Hard To Stop A TRANE

Post Likes
    You might look at the amana line, They offer a nice 14 seer hp system with 10 yr parts & labor and life time replacement on outside hp condensor if the compressor goes out.This is the 14 seer system in r410a.
    rick

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by quemar View Post
    XR14 / Model # 4TWR4042C.
    That outdoor unit and a 4tee3f65 air handler will give you 15 seer , 12.5 EER , 9.0 HSPF and a COP of 4.0 !
    That outdoor unit and a 4tee3f49 air handler will give you 14.5 seer ,12.0 EER, 9.0 HSPF and a cop of 3.7 !

Post Likes
    He's looking dual fuel with a standard blower motor on his existing furnace. Doesn't matter what that unit will do with an air handler. It matters what it does with what he needs. And that is not 14 SEER!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    He's looking dual fuel with a standard blower motor on his existing furnace. Doesn't matter what that unit will do with an air handler. It matters what it does with what he needs. And that is not 14 SEER!
    Sorry missed the post about the gas furnace indoor part

Post Likes
    I'm going to A-S dealer meeting Saturday. Biggest topic on my mind is getting some heat out of the heat pumps & A coils and getting more than 13 SEER out of anything! In 3.5 ton, he could buy a 4A6H5042 (mechancially XL15i) with an A coil and still be at 13.00 SEER and minimum allowed HSPF of 7.8. At least the 15s are doing better heating even if they aren't efficient.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I'm going to A-S dealer meeting Saturday. Biggest topic on my mind is getting some heat out of the heat pumps & A coils and getting more than 13 SEER out of anything! In 3.5 ton, he could buy a 4A6H5042 (mechancially XL15i) with an A coil and still be at 13.00 SEER and minimum allowed HSPF of 7.8. At least the 15s are doing better heating even if they aren't efficient.
    let me know what you find. I hear that trane is going to do some more testing and rerating of xr 14 and xl15i units soon.

Post Likes

Confused Indoor unit not included in original post?

Quote Originally Posted by quemar View Post
    I'm in the market for a Heat Pump and have settled on either the Bryant 265A or the Trane XR14.

The Bryant 265A SEER = 16 HSPF = 9.3 DBA = 68 vs. Trane XR14 SEER = 14 HSPF = 8.9 DBA = 76. My house is 2425 and I believe the each unit is sufficient.

It appears that the Bryant 265A is the more efficient unit but I'm not sure that it's worth the extra $1157.08. I feel like both dealers will do a good job with the install so based soley upon the units themselves, can someone give me any feedback on which model I should go with?
    When your post had the pricing included, the amounts were for an outdoor unit and indoor coil only? Has anybody proposed an entire matched system? Are they just matching equipment based on current blower capacity of yer furnace? If I were living in a home for the next 10+ years, I would consider a complete matched system. Dual fuel is great & there are better options for performance and efficiency than what you are considering with the current 2 options. There are situations where a heat pump and air handler are better than the dual fuel. Ask both HVAC professionals what ALL of your options are. Sounds like you would like to be "comfortable" in your house, they can offer a complete Comfort System to fit your investment budget! ENJOY!!

Post Likes

Thumbs up BRYANT to the rescue

I would get a quote on a 286 which is the Evo. unit which is awesomeyou may not be to far away in price. Stick with Bryant they are nice unit with a higher seer and run quite.Don't forget about the ten years part and labor warranty
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in