Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grilled Salmon

Maple syrup??? OH,YEAH!!!
    Another variation I use is to cut the maple syrup with bourbon. Marinate the filets in the maple/bourbon overnight. Grill... or better yet smoke the filets over applewood! Reduce the marinate in a small saucepan and drizzle over the filets and serve at room temperature.
    "...refresh my memory. When did I start caring about this stuff...?"

Bar-b-que salmon

Y'all should try bar-b-qued salmon. Cook it on the grill just like you have indicated in the prior post, but use some bar-b-que sauce. It best if you spread it thin and get it to carmalize.

Quote Originally Posted by prostock View Post
    Y'all should try bar-b-qued salmon. Cook it on the grill just like you have indicated in the prior post, but use some bar-b-que sauce. It best if you spread it thin and get it to carmalize.
    ...store bought???

Dude, we're afficianados here...

At least in our minds we are...

Well, by george.

I just bought myself 4 chunkies of the atlantic pink stuff for no particular reason other than it was on sale last week. I am so glad I looked here first before I decided to wing-it.

Some of these recipes seem to come straight out of "Flavouresque Writing". My taste buds are singing as I type
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    Well, by george.

I just bought myself 4 chunkies of the atlantic pink stuff for no particular reason other than it was on sale last week. I am so glad I looked here first before I decided to wing-it.

Some of these recipes seem to come straight out of "Flavouresque Writing". My taste buds are singing as I type
    Just remember...don't overcook it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaknight View Post
    Maple syrup??? OH,YEAH!!!
    Another variation I use is to cut the maple syrup with bourbon. Marinate the filets in the maple/bourbon overnight. Grill... or better yet smoke the filets over applewood! Reduce the marinate in a small saucepan and drizzle over the filets and serve at room temperature.
    Hey!! Bourbon always works! Thanks for the suggestion!

Got some salmon on Friday night. I did the maple syrup trick. Ummmm....... good. Everyone liked it.

About the middle of March the maple season starts around here. You don't see the buckets hanging from the trees very often anymore because must gatherers use a network of plastic tubes to collect the sap instead. But in flat areas you can still see this old way of taping.

It takes approx. 40 gal. of sap to make 1 gal of syrup.

Try maple syrup on boiled carrots w/ a little butter. Also great on vanilla ice cream. Tips from Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Got some salmon on Friday night. I did the maple syrup trick. Ummmm....... good. Everyone liked it.

About the middle of March the maple season starts around here. You don't see the buckets hanging from the trees very often anymore because must gatherers use a network of plastic tubes to collect the sap instead. But in flat areas you can still see this old way of taping.

It takes approx. 40 gal. of sap to make 1 gal of syrup.

Try maple syrup on boiled carrots w/ a little butter. Also great on vanilla ice cream. Tips from Vermont.
    I lived for 20 years in Quebec. I think between Quebec and Vermont we supply 90% of the worlds Maple Syrup... according to my dentist anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Okay! I will! Sounds good!

I tried the Maple Salmon over a cedar plank this weekend. It sucked. I bet I burned it. One of the posts says cook it 30-40 minutes, I gave it 35 at 300° or so. It was just horrible.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    I tried the Maple Salmon over a cedar plank this weekend. It sucked. I bet I burned it. One of the posts says cook it 30-40 minutes, I gave it 35 at 300° or so. It was just horrible.
    Wow - That is nuking them. When I poach them at 170 it takes about 20 minutes

i would time a filet for 12 minutes undisturbed, then start checking it for flakeyness. I bet it would be done around 16 minutes or so.

I like my fish with much more subtle flavorings then some here, I still like to be able to enjoy the fish itself. A squeeze of lemon, drizzle of nice olive oil (or butter), salt and dill would be nice before roasting, and complement the tenderness of the filet. Make sure you scrape off all the dark flesh along with the skin before plating to serve.

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Oh yeah----overcooked. I think it said to MARINADE it for 30 minutes. A Washington couple I met on a dive trip said that you cook salmon to med to med rare. Just like a beef steak.

Also. Did you use real maple syrup? I know you live in the wide open spaces but "Vermont Maid" crap is not real maple syrup. (not even close)

Spotts, I think the combo of maple and cedar could have done it too.
    Cedar planked salmon is best done with a white wine, dill, lemon juice, lemon zest type of marinade. Soak the plank for minimum an hour. Throw it on the BBQ indirect/high for 30 to 40 minutes. I've done it like that for years and never missed.

The maple marinade I do in a smoker. Temp no greater than 165'F. Check it after a couple hours. Look for an internal temp of 135'F.

Always remember, better to under cook a bit because once the salmon is removed from the grill or smoker it continues to cook for a few minutes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast